GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,573
0 members and 1,573 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Questions on contacting an alumnae organization

Hi ladies!

I'm planning on rushing next year as a sophomore (though by credits I will be a junior, but that's a discussion I'll have with the Greek Life Office later lol) and have spent the past few weeks lurking on the boards for information about how to prepare. I've learned that recs are vitally important, especially for my school an I'm now beginning the process of gathering as many as I can. However, this has led me to a couple problems/ dilemmas that I couldn't find answers to when I searched the board, so I was hoping y'all could help me or direct me to any thread that may address my problems

Problem one- I found an alumnae group in my hometown, however I've realized that because I am a couple hours away meeting these women and impressing them with my dazzling personality () is going to be difficult until school gets out. I would just wait until the semester ends to contact the alumnae, but as soon as it does (literally two days after my last exam) I'm leaving the country to study abroad for the first part of summer and won't return until mid June. I don't want to wait to contact the alumnae organization until I return, because I know that's rec busy season and I feel may be looked at as a last minute thing. But I feel as though if I contact them now, it will be fruitless because I may not be able to meet any of them (unless I manage to schedule any meeting in one weekend trip home! lol). What do y'all think?

Problem two- When I do introduce myself to the alumnae organization, I don't know what to say! (this may be a bit of a silly problem, but I'm kind of neurotic about things like this) The threads all say I should "register" with my local alumnae group but I'm honestly not quite sure what that entails lol. The website has a "contact us" form that involves categories for name, email, and question which is (I'm assuming) where I should introduce myself and state my interest in obtaining recs from them. However, I don't want to be rude or step on anyones toes and I feel like blatantly saying "I'm writing so see if you can put me in contact with anyone willing to meet with me and write me recommendations" may come off a bit rude or commanding. Am I just being silly?

This is way long, sorry. I'm a very wordy person haha! Thank you for reading this and I'm sorry if this has been asked 1000000 time before, I searched the boards and couldn't come up with any answers.

Thanks again!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 AM

If you are speaking of Alumnae Panhellenics (groups of alumnae from all 26 NPC sororities in your area), you do need to register with them. Somewhere on the alumnae panhellenic's website, there is a recruitment link that will tell you what you need to do to register with them and get recs.

Ex: Here's the recuitment page on the Katy, TX area APH site. http://www.katypanhellenic.org/Recruitment.html. It takes you to a PDF booklet detailing what you need to do to register. Any big panhellenic in an area near a competitive school will likely have that info online (ex: Katy serves girls who are rushing at places like UT, Texas A&M, etc. so they are very familiar with obtaining recs.) If you don't know any alumnae personally to write them for you, your APH is your best bet. APHs know that PNMs need recs. That's why they tell you to register. Every APH is different, but depending on how yours works, a personal meeting (while desired) isn't totally necessary. Check with yours though, because each is different.

In contrast, you can contact an ALUMNAE CHAPTER of a sorority for rec assistance and that is a little different. Ex: if you need a Chi O rec, and there's no APH, you can try contacting the Chi Omega Alumnae Chapter in *Insert FL City* here. You don't register with them as it's not like an APH where they're prepared to write recs. You may have to contact someone and tell them your situation. They may offer to help or may know other alumnae who can, but their primary purpose is not to help PNMs with recruitment, so there's no formal process. In addition, a sorority alumnae chapter may not meet a lot over summer so they may not be much help.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-28-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info KSUViolet! I was speaking of my local APH, and upon checking their website (and another APH website that's also near my hometown) thoroughly I can't find anything about registering with them for recruitment :\ (and nothing like the Katy website, that .pdf was awesome). I suppose the only thing I can do is email them through the site and see if they can give me more information about registering with them. I wish it was laid out clearly like the Katy one, and I'm surprised there's nothing about it on either website.

Though I did try register where it said "members only" at the top of the page thinking it may get me more information...I think it was actually only for members of the APH though so my account is "pending" and I feel rather foolish...whoops.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

One of two things will probably happen: they willre ply and ask you for a resume, etc. or they will advise you of whent hey are having a recruitment event for PNMs. In no case do you go introduce yourself to them in the manner you are thinking. They don't have meetings set up and run you thru interviews. If they do have a recruitment event, it will be along the lines of what to do during recruitment, what to wear, turn in your resume, etc.

As for recs on your own. have you asked teachers, counselors, SS teachers, employers, coaches, friends of your parents, parents of your friends, etc???? And remember they do have to have gone to your school - they could be members of any chapter of the individual organization.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

If gatorsophpnm is in florida, i will have to tell her that not many of the florida alumnae panhellenics hold info. sessions for pnms. her best bet will be to contact former teachers, neighbors, ladies she knows from church, friends of her parents, parents of her friends, etc(like Titchou suggested). In addition, she should send an email, through the "contact us", to the alumnae panhellenics near her hometown. Also, if she finds one sorority alum. they may help her secure recs. with other sororities.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Your question about what to say is a little over-thought. It's going to depend on how involved the alumnae or APH want to get. They may not care about meeting you personally at all and will write a relatively generic rec without it. Or you may encounter a very enthusiastic alumna who wants to me you and may be willing to accommodate your time crunch. Start doing your research (or continue on; it sounds like you've already started) and come back with specific questions when you have a specific scenario. Good luck!