GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 961
1 members and 960 guests
No Members online

Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rush a different sorority

if i transfer schools and they do not have my sorority, does this mean i cannot rush another one? i don't think it is fair to be left out of greek life because the school of my choice doesn't offer my sorority
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=87634
Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
if i transfer schools and they do not have my sorority, does this mean i cannot rush another one? i don't think it is fair to be left out of greek life because the school of my choice doesn't offer my sorority
I know this sucks for you, but there are other situations to consider - such as the women who would try to quit and rejoin just for the heck of it. NPC obviously thought this was a problem or a disaster waiting to happen, or they wouldn't have passed the rule.

What year are you? How long have you been Greek? Why are you transferring?

Also, consider that Greek life at your new school may be NOTHING like Greek life at your old school and it may not be something you want to be a part of.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
you can join an alumnae association ... they may not hold mixers but they're still your sisters and still offer support and sisterhood.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, if you're initiated into a sorority, it'd be great for you to try and join another. I mean, go through rush, pick a house and right when they're going to pin you in their all white dresses, just tell them that you're already an 'xxxxxx'. That'd be hilarious.

C'mon, seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Old 12-23-2008, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

If you were initiated into an NPC, you may not join another NPC. Even if you resign membership (turn in your badge and membership certificate), you are still not eligible, so don't do that.

I am so glad this rule exists. A major value of NPC sororities (and others too) is loyalty; the ritual that binds you and your sisters together. If free reign were given to members, it would be abused and everyone would know everyone else's ritual. It really takes away from what makes your sisterhood special. You might not appreciate it now that you'll be missing mixers, big/little fun, Greek Week, etc.

I have heard of schools that have "stray Greeks" groups for transfers without a chapter of their GLO, so you could investigate that. Also, *maybe* just maybe, you can be involved with Panhellenic in some amount. Definitely not waltzing right in and running for an exec posititon, but you may be able to participate in some way, so I would also try that.

Get involved with a nearby alumnae chapter if there is one. This is something that you could dive right in and plan events that you (and presumably younger alumnae) would like to have. My alumnae chapter is working on getting a charter and I am amazed with how much I connect with my sisters from so many different chapters.

Just like as a collegian, alumnae membership is what you make of it.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks everyone for your help!!

and sigmachiguy, theres no need to be an asshole.. i just wanted to know my options so that i can still be a part of greek life when/if i transfer. i figured i couldn't but i just wanted to make sure.