GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 810
1 members and 809 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 04-13-2003, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

Why is Stanford's recruitment so late in the year?
I can't guarantee this is correct, but I'm pretty sure Stanford is on the trimester system (also sometimes called the quarter system, with summer counting as the fourth "quarter"). . . spring trimester/quarter just started, and this is probably their version of "deferred rush" . . .

UC-Davis was also on the trimester system, and MTV taped Sigma AEPi at about this time last year -- during "spring rush."
Old 04-13-2003, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

hurray for your cousin!!! i am so glad to see a recruitment thread!! i can't wait to hear how things turn out!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
I believe they're on a trisemester system as well. I checked out their website, and their calendar has it that they begin classes in early April. Makes sense to me.

Good luck to your cousin! I can't wait to hear what happens next!
Old 04-13-2003, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
OK, here are answers to your questions.

Orientation night – It was like sarahgrace suggested. For many of the PNMs, it was the first time hearing about the rules. Some girls who were on the fence dropped because “it all seemed extreme.” Keep in mind that because rush is late and that they are on the quarter system, these girls are already involved in many other activities. Being told that it is an infraction to leave a party with a napkin is over the top.

I also want to say that Cousin did and does have a very open mind about this. When I mentioned that certain sororities were not her favorites, it is not that she disliked them. She just preferred some to others. The chapters have very distinct personalities and she could see herself almost anywhere. She is a very easygoing person.

Friday night activities were just a video and talking.

Saturday – Skit night – 45 minutes each – Like last night, all the sororities did line entrances and exits. She said that she had trouble going to sleep last night because she couldn’t get those chants out of her head. Oh, don’t we know it!

Sorority 1 – Skit was based on Heaven & Hell. Half were angels and the other half was devils. Each side tried to get the “PNM” over to their side. In the end, the two sides decided that ABC was a good mix of both. She said that it was absolutely PRECIOUS! Again, conversations were smooth and easy. She remembers speaking distinctly to at least five new/different members. She felt really comfortable here.

Sorority 3 – Skit was a TV expose’. A mole had infiltrated the sorority and was going to “tell all.” In the end, she found out that these stereotypes were unwarranted. It was really cute too. Conversations went well and she enjoyed herself.

Sorority 2 – Skit was a PNM looking to get the most out of Stanford and how XYZ can enhance the experience. When the principle said a key word, the chapter broke into song about it. It was a cute skit. What a difference a day makes! The conversations were so easy and flowed smoothly. The members were very sweet.

Tonight she is going back to all three and is thrilled. One friend has the same schedule so they are both psyched. Another friend has withdrawn because she couldn’t see herself where she was invited.

Tomorrow is preference at a hotel and she can select two. Like I said, we have been talking about this for years. The most important thing is that she at least tries so there are no regrets later. She understands that if she is cut that it is not necessarily about her. If she doesn’t get a bid, she is still involved in tons of other things. A brighter note for me is that she could AI into AOII! My alumnae chapter just adores her.

If you are reading this sweetie, I LOVE YOU!
Old 04-13-2003, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Awww, aren't you the sweetest cousin? I can't wait to find out where she goes!

At my school, they didn't tell us about the recruitment rules before recruitment, for the most part -- it was up to the individual sororities to worry about the rules. The only thing I remember is my Rho Chi informing us that the rushers weren't allowed to touch us, so we shouldn't be offended if they didn't shake our hands or anything. I knew nothing about the no-taking-things rule . . . I imagine that if a girl tried to leave the house with something, it would be up to the chapter to take it from her before she left. On one hand, I like that approach because it's not so stressful for the rushees at an already stressful time in their life. On the other hand, if you tell the rushees about recruitment rules, you can probably cut down on dirty rushing . . . most PNMs at my school wouldn't even realize when they're being dirty rushed! So I'm undecided as to which way is better.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
I just want to comment good luck to your cousin...I know some women in chapters at Stanford from high school, so I am really curious now where your cousin will go...So I am messaging to make sure I stay on top of this recruitment story...
Old 04-14-2003, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, soundsl ike she's really nice and open-minded about everything! What did they do for the 3rd night? How many did she go back to?

Wish her luck!
Laura

You don't become a XO, you are born one!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I imagine that if a girl tried to leave the house with something, it would be up to the chapter to take it from her before she left.
A couple of years ago I helped out at our UPS Chapter (Sarahgrace's school) and after a PNM left the first party with an item (infraction) my job for the rest of the parties was to stand at the end of the sidewalk and catch anything that made it out the door. It does sound over the top but unfortunately, the chapters get dinged if the PNM's leave with ANYTHING.

Good luck to your cousin and yes, do let know how it all goes.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the idea is to let them know that there are rules, such that if they are chased down for taking part of their phianthropy project, or what have you from the house, they know why.

How was night 3?
-M
Old 04-14-2003, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
I knew nothing about the no-taking-things rule . . . I imagine that if a girl tried to leave the house with something, it would be up to the chapter to take it from her before she left.
Yeah, I actually had to grab a napkin and some candy from a rushee as she was leaving our house during rush this year.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
IMHO, I think that things are going well. I am so proud of her. We certainly appreciate the support that you all have shown us.

Sunday Night – Philanthropy Night – 45 minutes each – She could accept up to three.

Sorority 3 – They made candy leis and flower leis for a children’s hospital. The party chairwoman made this announcement, “Please don’t eat the candy. We could get a fine because we aren’t supposed to feed you and you aren't supposed to leave with anything. Thank you for understanding.” Cousin said that everyone fell out laughing. Conversations were great and that she had a fantastic time.

Sorority 1 – They put together kits so that kids could make their own necklaces. There was lots of laughing and cutting up. She really enjoyed herself and her primary rusher was great.

Sorority 2 - They made picture frames. This night was a dramatic improvement over the first night. She liked the members and had a very nice time. Lots of laughs.

This morning she received preference invitations back to Sororities 2 and 3. Two is the maximum she could accept anyway. She didn’t feel bad about not receiving an invitation from Sorority 1. She just felt that this was meant to be.

Tonight is preference and the parties move to a hotel. She is very excited because two friends have the same schedule. Three friends have withdrawn due to time commitments. Her Rho Chi said that they expect quota to be between 20 and 25. Bids are being distributed between 2 PM and 5 PM. I did make her promise to call me as soon as she opened her envelope. However, I feel that I will be posting late again.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up perfect....

sounds like she's well on her way to finding a new home...
all the best to her tonight.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Can we get a general idea of who's still in the running? Not which sorority is which number, but... I'm dying from the suspense here!

Greekgrrl
Old 04-15-2003, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush stories are so much fun! I can't wait to see how pref went!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Stanford is on the quarter system and it is my understanding that their "deferred" rush is in Spring Quarter. In otherwords, they cannot recruit freshmen until Spring Quarter but they can recruit all others in fall or winter.