GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,241
2 members and 2,239 guests
bmaimusmaarleya, Xidelt

Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at Alabama for Fall 2015

Hi!

I am so excited/nervous to rush at The University of Alabama! I also have so many questions. I keep hearing everybody talking about recs is that basically just the same as recommendation letters you get while applying to a school but from greek members? I have two older sisters who are both members of Phi Mu so would they be able to write me recs? I'm from Maryland so i'm a little nervous about not being from the south and rushing at such a Southern school. Will this affect my chances at all? My GPA is average at a 3.25 but I'm working really hard to raise it before the end of my senior year. What is a good GPA to have? Basically what should I begin doing now to be prepared for rushing? I am so excited and can't wait to see what the future holds for me. Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome. We have lots of info on Bama rush. Be sure to look around in the Recruitment forum. You will need recommendations to the chapters at Bama. Your sisters might be able to submit recommendations for you, depending what Phi Mu's policy is concerning collegiate members being allowed to submit recs. if one or both sisters are alumnae members then there should be no problem. They should also submit a legacy form if Phi Mu has one. Some sororities have separate recommendation and legacy forms. Start looking around among teachers past and present, neighbors, friends of your family, your friends family members, older school mates who are in college. Also, depending on where you live, there may be an alumnae Panhellenic in your area that could be a good resource for you. They might hold an info session for graduating senior girls in the new year and might also be helpful in securing recs. FYI Bama holds a sorority open house during spring semester that you should try to attend. That info will be on the Bama Panhellenic website.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 10-27-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboundgirl22 View Post
Hi!

I am so excited/nervous to rush at The University of Alabama! I also have so many questions. I keep hearing everybody talking about recs is that basically just the same as recommendation letters you get while applying to a school but from greek members? I have two older sisters who are both members of Phi Mu so would they be able to write me recs? I'm from Maryland so i'm a little nervous about not being from the south and rushing at such a Southern school. Will this affect my chances at all? My GPA is average at a 3.25 but I'm working really hard to raise it before the end of my senior year. What is a good GPA to have? Basically what should I begin doing now to be prepared for rushing? I am so excited and can't wait to see what the future holds for me. Thank you!
Are your sisters currently collegians or are they alumnae? If they are collegians, please pm me. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you FSUZeta for all the info!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't be nervous about not being from the South (although some would argue that Maryland is in the South).
60% of undergraduates at U of Alabama are OOS. In fact, there is an organization for OOS students.
3.25 IS a great GPA. Couldn't hurt to have even higher grades, so work hard and get the best grades you can!
Start compiling a list now of any sorority alumnae you run across and know. Don't be afraid to tell them that you are rushing and ask to contact them later to request a recommendation. Do this immediately after graduation, when you can compile a resume to hand them. A photo or two would be nice, plus a transcript. Those 3 things will give them all the info they need to write your rec.
Lots more info at thesororitylife.com, and a blog I like, sororitygirl101.com, that has a lot of info specific to Alabama.
Welcome! Good luck! Roll Tide!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Please don't be nervous about not being from the South (although some would argue that Maryland is in the South).
60% of undergraduates at U of Alabama are OOS. In fact, there is an organization for OOS students.
3.25 IS a great GPA. Couldn't hurt to have even higher grades, so work hard and get the best grades you can!
Start compiling a list now of any sorority alumnae you run across and know. Don't be afraid to tell them that you are rushing and ask to contact them later to request a recommendation. Do this immediately after graduation, when you can compile a resume to hand them. A photo or two would be nice, plus a transcript. Those 3 things will give them all the info they need to write your rec.
Lots more info at thesororitylife.com, and a blog I like, sororitygirl101.com, that has a lot of info specific to Alabama.
Welcome! Good luck! Roll Tide!
Do I need to have letters for each sorority or could I get a few letters and send them to all the sororities? Thank you!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You need letters sent for each sorority. The alumnae do not have to be from the sorority's Alabama chapter. The alumnae send the letters to the chapter at UA. You give the alum your info. EAch sorority also has its own forms that alumnae will use - don't worry about that, the alums will know where to find them for their sorority. You could also give them a stamped envelope addressed to the sorority chapter. Addresses are available at uapanhellenic.com. That is an excellent website that you need to thoroughly read, every page! It will answer many questions.

Are you planning to go to spring preview? It will also help. Not required, tho.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to add, the alumnae write recs for their organizations...

ex: A Delta Zeta writes a rec letter for DZ, an Alpha Phi writes a rec letter for Alpha Phi.

A Kappa Kappa Gamma doesn't write a rec for DZ.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do I need to have letters for each sorority or could I get a few letters and send them to all the sororities? Thank you!
The recs are specific to each group. Not generic to all.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My GPA is average at a 3.25 but I'm working really hard to raise it before the end of my senior year. What is a good GPA to have?
Doing everything possible to raise your GPA over these last two semesters will help strengthen your resume/rec and broaden your options -- the majority of sororities at Bama have higher-than-3.25 GPAs on college work. You can view these (as well as GPAs for new members following their first semester as such) here:

http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/documents...portSheet1.pdf

Good luck to you -- the overwhelming majority of girls participating in recruitment are OOS (73% in 2013)!

Also of interest to PNMs:

What was the Profile of the 2013 Sorority Recruitment Applicant Pool?

For fall 2013, a record 2,113 women registered for formal recruitment and 2,081 participated in the first round of recruitment known as Open House. Of those women in the Open House Pool, 563 were from Alabama and 1,518 were from Out-of-State. Of the 2,081 women in the Open House Pool, 11% (195 women) did not complete the process, of which 83 withdrew, 109 were released and 3 participated in bid matching but did NOT maximize their options. Of the 1,894 women receiving bids, 531 were from Alabama and 1,364 were from Out-of-State, for an overall Open House Pool Match Rate of 91%. The National average for women receiving a bid during formal recruitment is 79% of the Open House Pool.

• Average Cumulative High School GPA: 3.62
  • Average ACT Score: 25
  • Average SAT Score: 1085
http://www.uapanhellenic.com/2014-fa...cruitment.html

Last edited by Hartofsec; 10-27-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-06-2015, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic Preview at Bama is on February 28, 2015.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Some would argue that Aliens are scanning your mind through the use of Jello. Both seem equally valid to me...