GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,447
0 members and 2,447 guests
No Members online

Old 06-20-2000, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lots-a-Heart
Unhappy Problems

If anyone could help me on this one...my sorority has gone through a tough year and we are trying to get everyone and the sorority back to the standard we set on campus. Has any other local sorority had a big problem, like a break up of sisters etc., that they bounced back from? If so how, if not, what happened?

------------------
Sarah Lyon
Sister Lots-a-Heart, #9
Iota Beta Chi Sorority
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2000, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Sarah

Sorry to say but we went through what you are talking about - but we did not survive. What happened? I think what it finally boils down to was having different factions in the house. There was a lot of in fighting. Due to this, I rush thus suffered....Four years after I graduated our house was shut down by National and placed on "inactive" status.

Sorry

------------------
Scott A. Marley
Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity
Beta Beta Chapter
Old 07-13-2000, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lots-a-Heart
Smile

Sorry to hear what happened with your fraternity So far we have not disbanded, but the idea has come up. We are not a national sorority, so not TOO many people would be effected. But there are limited options on my campus if you want to be a greek, so I think losing a sorority would affect greek life in Halifax. I am trying to get a census of what the majority of the sisters want to do. If they say yes, continue, then I will start planning rush, etc. But I am afraid of people not following through; saying "yeah I will help" and never show up at an event, or meet rush. What did you guys try to do? Is your fraternity now non-existant?
Thank you for replying,

------------------
Sarah Lyon
Sister Lots-a-Heart, #9
Iota Beta Chi Sorority
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi
Old 07-13-2000, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have experience being in a local, but do have experience with chapters having problems like you describe. And have seen chapters bounce back from them.

Do you have some strong alumnae members who could come help the group "regroup" so to speak? Sometimes having an outside influence can really help a struggling group see things differently.

Hang in there!
Old 07-14-2000, 07:43 PM
Artimis

One sugguestion is to get all active sisters together for a few hours and and have both a stratigic goal planning and a personal goal planning. See what everyone wants out of the sisterhood, were every one wants to see the sorority to end up at the end of the school year, in 4 years. Sometimes helping to refocus everyone on the same goals will help to break down walls between the factions.

And I do agree with bfulton on getting alumnae invovled. Maybe having a event were you could get (depending on the age of the sororty) founders back to talk about the founding days.

best of luck!

Jennifer
Old 07-15-2000, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

On our campus, no we no not have a presence any more - ie we are disbanded. I think the plan is to wait 5 to 10 years then try again. Your worry about rush is almost exactly what happened to us. The other thing was that the people who did show up at times were a real a$$. Everyone said they loved the fraternity but were unwilling to work for it. Do what ever you can to save your sorority because nothing fills worse then loosing it. Maybe you should concentrate on your core sisterhood. Use only the sisters that you know you can trust. I know that it will be a lot of extra work but....

What did we do? We hald a lot of events that were called brotherhood events - something for brothers only. The only problem though was most of them were a complete waste of time. Something only a couple of brothers actually would want to do. To make matters worse, my last year I was engaged. Almost everybody could not understand why I would want to spend so much time with her. That last year was just a bad year for everybody.

------------------
Scott A. Marley
Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity
Beta Beta Chapter