GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,476
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Jerryhak
» Online Users: 2,189
2 members and 2,187 guests
JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Another blackface/whiteface incident

“White Chicks” not coming to VA Tech or Blacksburg
By Rachel DeLauder, Managing Editor_ of the The Collegiate Times
Published Thursday, June 24, 2004

Following lobbying from Interfraternity Council Advisor Eric Norman and several campus officials, the new Wayans brothers movie, "White Chicks,” will not be shown at the campus’ Burruss Auditorium, and Virginia Tech’s Foundation has moved to keep the movie out of the New River Valley Mall 11, which it owns, due to an gift from a local developer. It appears that any Hokie wanting to see “White Chicks” will have to leave the valley.

“This film”, says Norman, “is about the Wayan brothers. both African-Americans, using make-up and costumes to impersonate white women. Our interfraternity council has repeatedly publicized our efforts to keep fraternities from hosting ghetto parties and minstrel shows, and anything where members might wear blackface make-up and clothes. We cannot honestly enforce such policies, when African-Americans are allowed to wear whiteface make-up.”

“Last fall,” according to IFC president Nic Temple, who’s also president of Pi Kappa Alpha, “our Judiciary Council put a chapter on social probation for an incident where at least two members in blackface were at an official chapter party.” He supports the effort to ban “White chicks” from the city. “How can we enforce our anti-blackface policy, when the campus theatre is showing a whiteface flick.”

“We’re not against diversity, and our sponsoring a fall performance of the Shangri-La Acrobats, a Chinese group, proves this,” said IFC Vice President Pat Colleran, a Phi Kappa Sigma.

The nearest theatre showing the film is unknown.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-01-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Another blackface/whiteface incident

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

“We’re not against diversity, and our sponsoring a fall performance of the Shangri-La Acrobats, a Chinese group, proves this,” said IFC Vice President Pat Colleran, a Phi Kappa Sigma.

The nearest theatre showing the film is unknown.
That doesn't really prove anything....

I can SEE their point, but this is definitely not going to fly....this isn't going to end here...
Old 07-01-2004, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Another blackface/whiteface incident

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
That doesn't really prove anything....

I can SEE their point, but this is definitely not going to fly....this isn't going to end here...

hahaha, that has to be the dumbest quote in the history of journalism...

*DEAD*
Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes, when you've already shown you can't deal with things intelligently, the best thing to do is just to keep your mouth shut.

I think the IFC VP is living proof that the above is true.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-02-2004, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I personally wouldn't be upset if the movie was banned in more places than this. I don't know what the Wayan's brothers were thinking when they decided to make this movie. I'm offended by people impersonating people based on their race, period...I don't care who does it.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913
I personally wouldn't be upset if the movie was banned in more places than this. I don't know what the Wayan's brothers were thinking when they decided to make this movie. I'm offended by people impersonating people based on their race, period...I don't care who does it.
I agree. Although I don't find whiteface offensive in the same sense I find blackface offensive because it doesn't have the same historic context, it still doesn't sit right with me. But then maybe I'm oversensitive, since men dressing up in drag for entertainment purposes offends me as well.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I understand the historical context and everything for blackface, I have spoken a bit at length in the infamous blackface threads on here, but I don't like it when folks complain about the seriousness of the offense and get frustrated because others don't "get it", then turn around and don't have a problem with this. To me, it takes away from the legitimacy of the problem that we have with blackface when we do ALMOST the same thing to another group. I am concerned that if some disgruntled white men decide to make a movie called Black Chicks, we really won;t be able to say anything. (although I'm sure I would anyway )
Old 07-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Phasad1913
I understand the historical context and everything for blackface, I have spoken a bit at length in the infamous blackface threads on here, but I don't like it when folks complain about the seriousness of the offense and get frustrated because others don't "get it", then turn around and don't have a problem with this. To me, it takes away from the legitimacy of the problem that we have with blackface when we do ALMOST the same thing to another group. I am concerned that if some disgruntled white men decide to make a movie called Black Chicks, we really won;t be able to say anything. (although I'm sure I would anyway )
I'm sure that you (that's the collective you) could say something. I'm not sure -- did the Wayans Brothers get elected to be representatives for the entire black community? It's not exactly fair to take one thing that a few members of an entire race participated in and say that's something that somehow effects anyone else in that race.

I don't think it diminishes any person in their approval or disapproval of blackface. It will, without a doubt, be used by someone someday to provide justification for it. However, they will just be flat-out wrong in my eyes.

It's something that really needs to be discussed in America as a whole -- the perception of minority "communities" as monolithic entities. When one member does something, why does that reflect on every other member? When so many blacks are in prison, should I look at the blacks that I work with or go to school with as if they are going to commit some crime against me? (the obvious answer is no).

I guess that's one of the luxuries of being white though in America. People don't look at me and pretend to already know what political party I belong to, etc.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-02-2004, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

It's something that really needs to be discussed in America as a whole -- the perception of minority "communities" as monolithic entities. When one member does something, why does that reflect on every other member? When so many blacks are in prison, should I look at the blacks that I work with or go to school with as if they are going to commit some crime against me? (the obvious answer is no).

I guess that's one of the luxuries of being white though in America. People don't look at me and pretend to already know what political party I belong to, etc.
It's called "othering". We need to know who to point our fingers at and and say "that's the bad guy".
Old 07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone remember the old 80's movie "Soul Man" with Thomas C. Howell? I've never seen it, but I saw a copy in a sale bin at the Wal-Mart.

Anyway, I am offended at the stereotyping of "white chicks" or blondes. Even if I wasn't offended-I do not plan to see this movie as it just looks dumb. The makeup and costuming are aweful. I mean really. I understand the concept of suspended belief, but damn.....

And I do believe in the "what's good for the goose is good for the gamder". If you don't want people doing something tacky that offends you, don't do it yourself.

I just hink this was a bad decision by two otherwise very talented and seemingly intellegent individuals.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

"If you wouldn't watch bad movies, they wouldn't make bad movies"
"If the movie stinks, just dont go!"

-Jay Sherman, The Critic: season 1, episode 6: "Eye on the Prize"
Old 07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldnt agree more. Here we are punishing people for blackface which is WRONG and now we get a movie out with someone doing that with whiteface. I think a lot of places should ban this movie. You wont catch me seeing this movie at all.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just confused by what people pick and choose to find offensive. I don't care about the movie but I don't think it has the same racist implications that Black face as but c'est la vie.

Eddie Murphy has played White people in movies: Nutty Professor and Coming to America...where those performances problematic?
Old 07-02-2004, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by IowaStatePhiPsi
"If you wouldn't watch bad movies, they wouldn't make bad movies"
"If the movie stinks, just dont go!"

-Jay Sherman, The Critic: season 1, episode 6: "Eye on the Prize"
Exactly.

Also, there used to be a popular saying that the quickest way to get a book on the New York Times Bestseller list, is to get it banned by the Boston Archdiocese.

The same holds true for movies. If conservatives kept there mouths shut, Fahrenheit 9/11 might not be as popular as it is. And the more people make a stink about White Chicks, the more popular it will be.

If you don't like it, just don't see it.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sigep533 Send a message via AIM to sigep533 Send a message via Yahoo to sigep533
i dont understand what about it is offensive..

someone educate me on why i should be offended and why black people should be offended when white people wear black make up..

this isnt a smartass post..i just dont see what is offensive..