GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,474
0 members and 2,474 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2022, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

On a rollercoaster

Forewarning: I'm going to emote and sob here so I can Panhellenically support my Rosebud next year.

For years YEARS my only child has been telling me she plans to attend the in-state rival of my alma mater. Most of my extended family attended InState Rival U and I stayed nice and neutral and comforted myself that she could still possibly be my Sister if she ended up pledging Alpha Gam there. I honestly think she also wanted to push my buttons just a little bit by saying she was not interested in my alma mater. Whatever. I supported her dream. There was no point in getting excited yet. She has Tshirts and posters and a giant FLAG in her room all declaring her love for InState Rival U.

But now. NOW! as a junior in high school, she has decided she doesn't want to go to InState Rival U either. Her first choice is now her father's alma mater, because it is 2 hours closer to home (even though she says regularly she can't wait to leave home) and because their marching band does not require auditions. BUT THERE'S NO ALPHA GAM THERE.

I know it's a year away. And it's not my journey. And things could still change many times. But it's getting harder to keep my poker face.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited by SquirrelyDays; 04-21-2022 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling before coffee
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-21-2022, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, she can always do what you did and initiate as an alum.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I guess she COULD but maybe she will want to have the full sorority experience. I certainly want her to have a home-away-from-home. That might be the marching band, but who knows? At Dads Alma Mater the NPC participation is only 5%, while at InState Rival U it is 22%. Maybe sorority life won't matter as much at Dads Alma Mater. Maybe she'll decide she wants nothing to do with it either as an undergraduate or an alum... although I think that's unlikely, given how much of a "joiner" she is.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I was sad when my daughter went to a school without Alpha Gam but it did make recruitment a lot less stressful for both of us, I think. The hurt of an Alpha Gam chapter not selecting your daughter or of your daughter not liking the Alpha Gam chapter is really tough. If they go somewhere without a chapter, that's not a potential stressor. My daughter ended up being a very happy Alpha Chi Omega. It's definitely harder to find lyres than squirrels though.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Same situation as AGDee...my daughter has had a great experience as a Pi Phi.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-22-2022 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your kind words. I sat across from an Alpha Phi and her Phi Mu daughter at the Panhellenic luncheon yesterday. I know in my head it will all be ok.

Meanwhile I’m schooling my daughter on the fine art of curating your Instagram to be interview/recruitment ready.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
Well, she can always do what you did and initiate as an alum.
???
If the OP is an initiated Alpha Gam she can't initiate into a different sorority.

OP, I understand. My daughter went to my alma mater but my chapter was no longer there. She pledged and had a wonderful time with her new sisters.
It will be OK.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

@AnchorAlumna - I'm an Alpha Gam in the same alumnae Chapter as @UVASquirrel. I'm a legacy, and I attended a different university than most of my family - one that does not have an Alpha Gam chapter. I felt a strong connection to the women in my mother's AGD alumnae chapter, and after graduation was initiated at convention. I was involved enough in other activities on campus that I still had a "home" while I was in school, so I was OK.

I know it's an age-old situation, and many of the active posters have a variety of GLOs in their families, so I know she'll be OK, too. I do still think I will grieve a little even knowing she's happy.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Seven of my daughters pledged but none of them went Pi Phi because they all attended schools without it. They're in 4 other groups and they enjoyed themselves. I was sad not to share sisterhood but maybe a granddaughter in 5 years will go Pi Phi? I don't know if I care anymore...the organization has gotten bizarre.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Seven of my daughters pledged but none of them went Pi Phi because they all attended schools without it. They're in 4 other groups and they enjoyed themselves. I was sad not to share sisterhood but maybe a granddaughter in 5 years will go Pi Phi? I don't know if I care anymore...the organization has gotten bizarre.
I can definitely understand feelings of the "Organization has gotten bizarre", my father is a brother of Zeta Beta Tau and was *glad* that I didn't have the opportunity to join it at my school. (Carnegie Mellon expelled them in 1984, I got there in 1986) given the addition in 1989 of the Semi-Annual Brotherhood Review Vote (along with removal of pledging).
Old 05-20-2022, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Growing up, my daughter always told me she wanted to be a Kappa Delta. Her godmother is one of my pledge sisters. I was so excited when she attended a school that had a KD chapter so she could become my sister, but alas, she refused to go through recruitment. Today, my only grandchild is a 7 month old boy so no legacy on the horizon.

DaffyKD
Old 07-07-2022, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok we have just finished our last planned college visit and the preferences have been updated:

Tied in first place:
Dads Alma Mater (12 NPC, 10 with houses, 2 without)
InState Rival U (soooo many orgs, all housed, legacy)

Middle choices:
Moms Alma Mater (sooooo many orgs, all housed, probably won’t get in realistically)
Dark Horse State (out of nowhere! Wasn’t even considering it! 7 NPC, no housing)

Safety options:
TooFarAway U (too small, 4 NPC, legacy, not sure about housing? They used to have chapter-designated dorm housing but they tore those buildings down and have not reinstated sorority floors elsewhere on campus yet.)
Hometown U (too close to home, 10 NPC, chapter-designated dorm housing)
BadWifi State (seriously, that was her main complaint. Also small, 6 NPC, no housing)

So there is still a chance

Last edited by SquirrelyDays; 07-07-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

What I learned is that it's great if your kid goes to a school that has unhoused or dorm chapters! Only one of ours went to a school where there was a large house and it was very expensive. Then we had 3 go to a school with no sorority housing and no dedicated chapter space, 2 who went to schools with sorority halls in a dorm, and 1 who attended a school whose housing was only for officers plus they had large areas for meetings. I prefer the last option and the next to last one (that was also what we did at Auburn).
Old 07-07-2022, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, my pocketbook also thinks it’s a good idea. I think unhoused or designated dorm space makes GLO life more accessible to a wider variety of women so I am in favor of that. I also think that makes it easier for smaller orgs or chapters in a slump to stay competitive. I hadn’t heard of officer-only housing though! Another good option.

Last edited by SquirrelyDays; 07-07-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

That was Georgia Southern--there's a Greek Row and all the sororities have houses but only about 16 women sleep in each one. Birmingham Southern does something similar.