GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,425
2 members and 1,423 guests
sdneyttso2029, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Local fraternity hazing and pledge stories

I have a friend who pledged a fraternity. He almost got his collar-bone broken and one of his friends went to the hospital tody for a broken ankle. The members basically body slammed them into the ground. His friend told them what he went through during pledging. One was they blindfold you and stick your pledge pin over your heart and an unknown memberwill press it into your body.

Would this be considered extreme hazing or what? Have any of you ever been though things like this when you pledged?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2004, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

OMG! That is insane. Is your friend alright now? That is definitely hazing in every possible sense of it. I'm in shock. Thank G-D I never had this happen to me or know of anyone that it has happened to.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Report it to the police immediately.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-31-2004, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
that is extreme hazing... and it should be reported... however

i know that many of my freinds that are in fraternities go through similar things.... my ex-boyfriend's kidneys failed during his pledging and he has a scar on his forehead from pledging- but he won't tell me what happened.... i have guy friends who came home iwth bruises all over tehm....

on my campus though- i wouldn't report them though- i don't want to be responsible for shutting down their fraternity.... the guys who pledge know what they are getting into...

its not right.... but thats just the way it is....

p.s. i've never heard of the sororities hazing in this way
Old 03-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AlethiaSi
that is extreme hazing... and it should be reported... however

i know that many of my freinds that are in fraternities go through similar things.... my ex-boyfriend's kidneys failed during his pledging and he has a scar on his forehead from pledging- but he won't tell me what happened.... i have guy friends who came home iwth bruises all over tehm....

on my campus though- i wouldn't report them though- i don't want to be responsible for shutting down their fraternity.... the guys who pledge know what they are getting into...

its not right.... but thats just the way it is....

p.s. i've never heard of the sororities hazing in this way
I guarantee you -- if they continue this type of hazing, eventually, someone will die. A group that has a tradition like this is definitely not deserving of any kind of protection. The members and alums that let this go on belong in jail.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
i wouldn't report them though- i don't want to be responsible for shutting down their fraternity.... the guys who pledge know what they are getting into...
That's a mistake. If things like that are happening, they deserve to be shut down...before someone is more seriously injured or killed.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Co-sign with ktsnake and DeltAlum.

I believe that if we know firsthand (either by witnessing it or by a member/pledge telling us) about hazing it's our responsibility as a Greek member to report it to the proper authority. Depends on where you are as to whether you report it to the campus or the police or the HQ.

I'm not saying one person can singlehandedly stop it, but I don't think it's OK to simply sit back and knowingly let it happen. That's along the same lines as condoning the behavior. It's a slippery slope.

PsychTau
Old 03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

i know waht you are saying- but i would think that the person who it happened to should go to the authorities rather then have be hearsay.... if i wen tto the police and said- oh well i heard they were hazing- then its not credible- and the school knows that they haze- and the police watch they houses but there isn't much more they can do if no one in that org steps up and has proof of hazing....
Old 03-31-2004, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Quote:
i know waht you are saying- but i would think that the person who it happened to should go to the authorities rather then have be hearsay.... if i wen tto the police and said- oh well i heard they were hazing- then its not credible- and the school knows that they haze- and the police watch they houses but there isn't much more they can do if no one in that org steps up and has proof of hazing....
while i agree to an extent... even if you were to go based on hearsay, it would put up a red flag and the group would be watched a little more closely. And any member being hazed may not have the courage to come forward, even though they are facing bodily harm. Again, it's a vicious cycle. Yeah I can understand being called a "snitch" or whatever, but what's it to you? IT's someone's life!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
while i agree to an extent... even if you were to go based on hearsay, it would put up a red flag and the group would be watched a little more closely. And any member being hazed may not have the courage to come forward, even though they are facing bodily harm. Again, it's a vicious cycle. Yeah I can understand being called a "snitch" or whatever, but what's it to you? IT's someone's life!
its coming off as if i'm not concerned- i am! but there isn't much i can do about it... its easier than you think to hide hazing unless there is proof

and besides- i am away at the moment- and these things happened a year ago.... i don't know wahts going on at the moment- the last i heard some of these groups were getting better....
Old 03-31-2004, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
i wouldn't report them though
Then you are part of the problem
Old 03-31-2004, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I can fully understand and respect AlethiaSi's desire not to turn in the members of another organization based on another's account. No one likes being labeled a tattletale, nor feeling responsible as being the one who brought a group with a long heritage to its ruin.

Sounds pretty deep, doesn't it?

It takes a very strong person to right a wrong. I think AlethiaSi's friend is strong for being able to tell her what happened to him. She can be a good friend by encouraging him to step forward and end the abuse. She should support him in his decision and help him deal with any personal issues he might suffer as a result.

If anything is happening currently, it should be reported to the Greek Advisor. We all have free will, and AlethiaSi should not feel harrassed for not reporting something that happened a year ago to somebody else.

Consider a rape victim who does not want to come forward to the authorities. Would you continue to beleaguer the victim to step forward and ensure continued harrassment and nightmares if they aren't yet ready, or will continue to be supportive. Rape is illegal. So is hazing. A person has to do what is right for them, in their current state of mind and what they are strong enough to handle.

However, let's get away from pinning blame on AlethiaSi, and back to naglok's concerns. Yes, naglock, that is hazing, that is dangerous and it should be reported. Now. Let's make sure that no one else suffers grave bodily harm, or worse, death.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Altheia, you said your ex bf's kidneys shut down during his pledging?

If they continue to endanger people like that, it's not only likely, it's inevitable that someone will end up dead or permenantly disabled as a result of this stupidity.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Well the weird thing is this school is in the south, it's a central university not a main "state" university. My State univeristy is very heavy and has good strong greek systems. I know they all haze there, but its making a pledge clean up something or do pushups if he tries to get a girl a member is after in the house. Minor, non-physical hazing really.

But, Ive never heard anything like this until I was told about it yesterday. His gf told me that someone is put into the hospital every year.. however, I don't know the valildity of that because I would assume nurses or doctors would see pledges and kinad catch on. But that is what I was told.

And sticking the pledge pin over the chest, in the chest? That sounds disgusting.. Funny thing is, in my opinion, the frat is not even that good and have no idea why they would go through such hell or continue to.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by naglok
Well the weird thing is this school is in the south, it's a central university not a main "state" university. My State univeristy is very heavy and has good strong greek systems. I know they all haze there, but its making a pledge clean up something or do pushups if he tries to get a girl a member is after in the house. Minor, non-physical hazing really.

But, Ive never heard anything like this until I was told about it yesterday. His gf told me that someone is put into the hospital every year.. however, I don't know the valildity of that because I would assume nurses or doctors would see pledges and kinad catch on. But that is what I was told.

And sticking the pledge pin over the chest, in the chest? That sounds disgusting.. Funny thing is, in my opinion, the frat is not even that good and have no idea why they would go through such hell or continue to.
You sound like you know that what happened is wrong. And regardless of whether it happens at a big school or a smaller one, hazing is hazing.

I don't understand the motivations of those who haze. Following a tradition, I suppose. Trying to inspire a team environment through tests of loyalty. The hazees? A desire to fit in and belong, despite any physical or emotional abuse.

Ignore what his GF said. That's hearsay. You have seen what happened to your friend and the account of what happened. Those are the hard facts.

Well, the verdict from Greek Chat is hazing. What do you plan to do?

Options
1) Talk to your friend and advise him that he was hazed and you support his turning the fraternity in.
2) You send a letter to the Dean in charge of student activities, citing your concerns. Hazers know they're wrong, and they harrass those who point this out. I'd advise you to remain anonymous if possible, to avoid harrassment.
3) You do nothing, and live with the knowledge that nothing will be done.
Closed Thread