GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,773
1 members and 2,772 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-23-2000, 02:06 PM
XY

Well what about greek organizations outside of PHC? Does anyone know when and if they admitted any white members or members of other ethnicities?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2000, 03:32 PM
gloriajean

Arrow

I think it they did have this practice in the past, they would certainly act to eradicate it very quickly, or they would certainly advertise it widely. I am pretty sure that most are open membership, where as long as you have a sincere, sustained committed interested to the group, you are eligible to be a member
Old 06-23-2000, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

According to the KAO website, they've never had a discrimination clause. I have, however, heard that a few NPC groups did PRIOR to the creation of the NPC...can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, I know there's gotta be at least one AOPi on the board...I've heard that AOPi was founded because one founder had been rejected from a sorority at Barnard because she was Jewish...is this true? I know that some sororities (like Chi-O) were founded upon Christian principles. Were there ever discrimination clauses based on religion or nationality?

I also read (in Our Kind of People--has anyone read that book?) about Barbara Delaney at Cornell in '56, but I thought that another sorority at another school had accepted a non-white member prior to '56...'56 sounds really recent. Can anyone clarify?
Old 06-23-2000, 05:27 PM
gloriajean

Arrow

AEPhi, SDT, DPhiE and PhiSigSig were all founded based on Jewish principles.
Old 06-23-2000, 06:23 PM
npc girl--pss

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by gloriajean:
AEPhi, SDT, DPhiE and PhiSigSig were all founded based on Jewish principles.
Just an FYI, Phi Sig was not founded on Jewish principals. I am a Phi Sigma Sigma. We are a non-sectarian org with a ritual that is NOT based in/on scriptures. The founders were not all Jewish and membership has been open from the begining (11/26/1913)As far as when the first non caucasion was admitted, I'm not sure but I'm sure I could call national and find out.
Old 06-23-2000, 06:26 PM
gloriajean

Thumbs up

I stand corrected. There is definitely a 4th one though...there's AEPhi, DPhiE and SDT and one more. I don't recall what was the 4th one. Maybe it was Theta Phi Alpha?

I seem to recall hearing once that Alpha Gamma Delta was founded on Catholic principles, but I can't recall where I heard that. It could be my mind doing funny things in my "old age".

Old 06-23-2000, 06:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Talking

Delta Phi Epsilon was the first non-secterian sorority to be founded (1917).
Old 06-23-2000, 07:17 PM
npc girl--pss

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan:
Delta Phi Epsilon was the first non-secterian sorority to be founded (1917).
Sorry Sioban, PSS was first 1913. http://www.npcwomen.org http://www.phisigmasigma.org http://www.dphie.org
Old 06-23-2000, 08:11 PM
gloriajean

Cool

A couple of nifty quotes from "From Here to Fraternity":
-----------
Delta Phi Epsilon was founded as a non-sectarian sorority, but several chapters have historically had a predominantly Jewish membership. (1917) (pg. 272)

Phi Sigma Sigma was founded as a nonsectarian sorority by 10 women of different religious backgrounds. (1913)(pg. 276)

Theta Phi Alpha - the sorority is non-sectarian, although it has historically has had a historically Catholic membership. (1912). (pg. 277)

The first sorority founded was Jewish women was Alpha Epsilon Phi in 1909. Phi Sigma, Delta Phi Epsilon and Sigma Delta Tau were formed between 1913 & 1917. (pg. 226) (side note: this is how I got confused...I got confused between Phi Sigma and Phi Sigma Sigma)
-------------
So for the "older" sororities, like KAO, DG, ADPi, KKG, etc....were they founded as "sectarian" and if so, what did that mean for its prospective rushees? Back then, was it MANDATORY to be of XYZ religion if you wanted to be intiated? Also, does sectarian mean that the oath contains "God" in its words? (Please note: I'm not fishing for people to give away their secret rituals).

I LOVE learning on this board!

Old 06-24-2000, 12:37 AM
Outofthe Blue

Post Discrimination in NPCs

What sorority was the first to admit a non-caucasian woman? Did any of the sororities have policies about discrimination? Which sororities has the highest number of non-caucasian members?
Old 06-24-2000, 12:48 AM
gloriajean

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Outofthe Blue:
What sorority was the first to admit a non-caucasian woman?
I believe that it was Sigma Kappa. I don't know the answers to any of your other questions, though, I apologize.

Old 06-24-2000, 12:50 AM
gloriajean

Exclamation

This is copied and pasted from another post:
Sigma Kappa was the first NPC to pledge a non-caucasian woman, Barbara Delany in 1956 at Cornell U.

Old 06-24-2000, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Outofthe Blue:
What sorority was the first to admit a non-caucasian woman?
I believe that it was Sigma Kappa. I don't know the answers to any of your other questions, though, I apologize.

That's correct.

You could look in an old-old Baird's if you can find one and see if any of the sororities mentioned anything like that in their policies.

Old 06-25-2000, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if NPC groups keep a racial/nationality statistic on their membership? I'd love to find out which group was the first to (permanently, with the approval of Nationals) accept a non-Caucasian member, and which group has the most non-Caucasian members. I'm sure they don't keep records of it, but it'd be interesting to find out, no? One can peruse a few chapters' websites (especially in the Northeast and West) and find really diverse chapters by looking at their scrapbooks, but numbers would be really neat.
Old 06-25-2000, 01:43 PM
npc girl--pss

Cool

I'm really impressed that you take the time to find out this type of information. It really helps in making better members not of just xyz sorority but all houses. You understand the system better and how it trickles down to you. Just curious, are you in a sorority?

Quote:
A couple of nifty quotes from "From Here to Fraternity":
-----------
Delta Phi Epsilon was founded as a non-sectarian sorority, but several chapters have historically had a predominantly Jewish membership. (1917) (pg. 272)

Phi Sigma Sigma was founded as a nonsectarian sorority by 10 women of different religious backgrounds. (1913)(pg. 276)

Theta Phi Alpha - the sorority is non-sectarian, although it has historically has had a historically Catholic membership. (1912). (pg. 277)

The first sorority founded was Jewish women was Alpha Epsilon Phi in 1909. Phi Sigma, Delta Phi Epsilon and Sigma Delta Tau were formed between 1913 & 1917. (pg. 226) (side note: this is how I got confused...I got confused between Phi Sigma and Phi Sigma Sigma)
-------------
So for the "older" sororities, like KAO, DG, ADPi, KKG, etc....were they founded as "sectarian" and if so, what did that mean for its prospective rushees? Back then, was it MANDATORY to be of XYZ religion if you wanted to be intiated? Also, does sectarian mean that the oath contains "God" in its words? (Please note: I'm not fishing for people to give away their secret rituals).

I LOVE learning on this board!