GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,138
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, KristyClif
» Online Users: 1,052
3 members and 1,049 guests
3DGator, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing in Fall 2013, will already have 1 semester completed

Hey!

I plan to rush in Fall 2013, but I will be rushing as a sophomore, kinda. I started school Fall 2012 (didn't rush), but due to medical reasons, I resigned for this semester. (My family home is 10 minutes from the university, so convenient) I will be back in the Spring, but formal recruitment isn't until fall. I guess this would be considered rushing as a sophomore, but since I graduated early (I am 17, will turn 18 in July 2013.) and I will only have one semester completed, will recruitment be as hard as it would be if I was a real (haha) sophomore? I know I need to be honest with the sororities, but how much information should I disclose when rushing? Thanks for your help! Also, does it help if you know my school? I didn't know if I could say or not...
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM

You would still be a freshman credit wise. Just say that you started in Fall 2012 and took a semester off for medical reasons. We can't tell you if this will interfere with your chances or not. At some schools, the minute you make the decision not to rush as a pre-freshman, your stock goes down. At some it doesn't.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Uh, um: if your screen name is your real name, then by all means you'd best be honest!

Hope you are feeling better, and good luck with recruitment!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It really depends on your school. About half the girls in my pledge class are Sophmores (even one girl who is 21), but it really all depends. I would say my school is averagely competitive, but we happened to have a majority of sophomores going through recruitment. If you go to a very competitive school, such as University of Alabama for instance, I know it's completely different.

Just go through recruitment thinking positively and don't worry too much about your status! (You are technically still a freshmen, I'm guessing, credit-wise anyway)
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Oops, I didn't realize that was going to be my username when I typed it in. Do you know how to change that? Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

OK... Research time...

I don't have a problem with doing web research in this regard because I'm pretty sure the Sororities will do so as well and they'll definitely have your name...

I went under the assumption that your username was your real name and went from there. There is a considerable amount of consistent information under your name on the web including a *large* amount on twitter. The school listed with your information is in the SEC, and I have every reason to believe is one of the tougher ones in the SEC. The flip side of *that* is that information is the greek office will be able to give you *very* complete information as to how it will be dealt with.

I'd suggest googling your SEC school in greekchat to get more information, I'm quite sure the pledging process at each SEC school has been well discussed at various times...

You have a *great* deal of information on the web, so make sure that what you say matches it and you may also want to have someone go through it with you to make sure that there aren't any pictures linked to that you wouldn't want seen. (not that your tweets indicate someone who is likely to have that problem)...
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

On the bright side: you didn't go through rush this past semester, correct?

You're sorta kinda a semi-freshman, if there is such a thing. Make sure that this coming spring semester you are squeaky clean and get killer grades, because you'll have one semester of college behind you, so your high school GPA won't be considered. And so that would make you a second semester freshman, whatever that means.

Speaking for myself, I don't know how hard recruitment will be for you at your school. I don't sit in on membership selection at any chapter, anywhere, so I keep my mouth shut on that subject. If you're going to the school that's associated with your user name, take naraht's advice to heart.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Get used to saying, "I'm a second semester freshman." That's the correct terminology.

As for recruitment, focus on the things over which you have control -- grades, activities, recs, etc. Get to know the girls in your classes.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of girls from my community attend your school, and yes, it's a competitive recruitment. Since you will be returning in the spring, have you considered checking into informal spring recruitment? It is called Continuous Open Bidding (COB) and your school's Panhellenic website has a very informative page about it. Go to the Panhellenic site and choose "Joining a Sorority" --it will take you right to the info you need about this other possibility.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

You might want to delete your post...and then change your screen name.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You might want to delete your post...and then change your screen name.
Sooner rather than later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I don't have a problem with doing web research in this regard because I'm pretty sure the Sororities will do so as well and they'll definitely have your name...

I went under the assumption that your username was your real name and went from there. There is a considerable amount of consistent information under your name on the web including a *large* amount on twitter. The school listed with your information is in the SEC, and I have every reason to believe is one of the tougher ones in the SEC. The flip side of *that* is that information is the greek office will be able to give you *very* complete information as to how it will be dealt with.

I'd suggest googling your SEC school in greekchat to get more information, I'm quite sure the pledging process at each SEC school has been well discussed at various times...

You have a *great* deal of information on the web, so make sure that what you say matches it and you may also want to have someone go through it with you to make sure that there aren't any pictures linked to that you wouldn't want seen. (not that your tweets indicate someone who is likely to have that problem)...
Scrub your internet presence, my dear. I didn't look long enough to find anything troubling, but I'm also not interested in screening you for member selection. You are too easy to find.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

oh DUH. Second semester freshman. *smacks self in head* thanks, Blue Skies. (too much Christmas cheer* = brain fog).

* cookies, candy, etc. Of course.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM

I've said it before and will say it again. I just don't get Twitttter and/or how anyone finds it interesting, fun or enriching.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I've said it before and will say it again. I just don't get Twitttter and/or how anyone finds it interesting, fun or enriching.
I have one, but it's linked to my character Facebook page and mirrors those posts. I usually forget about it until I get activity notices. I respond, then promptly forget about it again.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The good news is the gals here who did a search (I didn't) didn't find anything incriminating about you AND you have time to get your web presence up to snuff. At this point, if you want to create a new GC user name (changing your user name would still maintain your history), that might be a good idea. Take this as a helpful lesson and one that in and of itself won't have damaged your career.

Second, while I don't know what school is in question here, do look into informal rush. If there's any chance you could take advantage of that, you will be better off.

Third, do some reading here about social media. There is lots of discussion (and a certain amount of disagreement) about what should and should not be included in your media presence. I am on the side of you SHOULD have some things public, but in general your day to day social media presence should be private. And pictures of just you (no friends, boyfriends, and for dog's sake, no alcohol or drugs) should be public.

You have a good long time to work on your pitch. In the grown up world it's called an elevator pitch - the sales pitch you give about yourself or your product that can be done in the time it takes to ride an elevator. Do not under any circumstances lie, but you don't have to tell your life story either. "I'm a second semester freshman" is a great start. "I graduated early" is a great follow up. I don't know that I would get into family trouble and having to withdraw from school. That sounds to me like you went off to school, started partying and Mom and Dad made you quit and move home. It doesn't matter if that's the truth or even in the ballpark of reality. When a girl meets you for 5 minutes in a crowded and VERY loud room, she's going to have to fill in a lot of blanks later. So find a way to tell your story honestly but succinctly.

And finally, several SEC schools have new chapters and colonies coming up. Be aware of that. It might be something that is appealing to you. And don't dismiss the new chapters. They're on their way up and to give them a pass because they aren't 100 years old on your campus is short-sighted. Good luck!