GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,303
1 members and 1,302 guests
g41965

Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Is this the most recent list? I want to join, but I'm in NJ and it seems like my choices are very limited. Phi Beta Psi was the only one I think. I'm African American, 26, out of college, I'm a community leader, a wife and a mom. Any assistance would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRose View Post
Maybe you had an unsuccessful rush in college, or you didn’t rush at all. Maybe you attended a college without a greek system, or didn’t attend college at all. Maybe you were a member of a service or professional sorority, or were a member of a local that folded. Whatever the reason, you’ve found yourself longing for sisterhood, and are thinking about joining a sorority. You are not alone! Thousands of women past the traditional college age have found their sorority home in one of the many community sororities. (Community sororities are also known as civic sororities, non-academic sororities, non-collegiate sororities, adult sororities, or philanthropic sororities.)

For over a century, community sororities have provided sisterhood for women who chose to join. Membership in a community sorority can be just as rewarding and is usually a better fit for most post-college women than trying to become an alumna initiate of a collegiate sorority. There are more than 20 community sororities located across the US and Canada, so there are a lot possibilities to find a sorority that is a good match for your interests and needs. Usually membership in these sororities is available by invitation to women over 18 years of age, with each one having its own membership selection process.

If there is not a chapter in your area of the communitiy sorority that you are interested in, don't be discouraged. While each one has its own policies regarding starting new chapters, most community sororities except Tri-Kappa seem open to the prospect of expansion if there is not a chapter in your area.

The community sororities are, in alphabetical order:

Beta Sigma Phihttp://www.betasigmaphi.org
Founded: 1931 in Abilene, Kansas
Size: ~9000 active chapters, 250,000 members
Location: All US states, Canadian provinces, and 23 countries.
Purpose: to unite congenially in fellowship and friendship those women accepted for membership; to promote cultural development of such members...; to foster association with each other in pursuit of the liberal arts
Philanthropy: Each chapter determines its own service projects

Chi Sigma -
Phone:
Founded:
Size: 6 chapters
Purpose:

Delta Chi Sigma - http://www.deltachisigmasorority.org/
Founded: 1925
Size:
Location: California, Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, and Ontario, Canada.
Purpose:

Delta Sigma Kappa -
Contact: Supreme Council, 1410 Kensington Blvd, Ft. Wayne, IN 46805-5338
Founded: November 24, 1924 in Lafayette, Indiana
Size:
Purpose:

Delta Theta Chihttp://www.deltathetachi.org
Founded: 1920 in Chicago, Illinois
Size: ~43 chapters
Location: Arkansas, California, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, Washington
Purpose: to promote cultural education, to foster personal development and good citizenship, to form a nation-wide fellowship, to attain a broader outlook and enjoyment of contact with those of similar purposes and ideals.
Philanthropy: Breast Cancer and Literacy

Delta Theta Tau - http://www.deltathetatau.org/
Founded: 1903 in Muncie, Indiana
Size: 120 active chapters and 59 alumnae associations
Location: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington
Purpose: Delta Theta Tau Sorority, Inc. is a national women's organization dedicated to the advancement of philanthropy and charity, nonsectarian, nonacademic, promoting welfare for all and fostering the spirit of good fellowship
Philanthropy: Annual national philanthropic project. Last year's project was the National Ectodermal Dysplasia Foundation

Epsilon Sigma Alpha - http://www.esaintl.org/
Founded: 1929 in Jacksonville, Texas
Size: over 1000 chapters
Purpose: the development of a well-balanced lifestyle that encourages members to develop personal talents to pursue excellence in all aspects of daily life.
Philanthropy: St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital and Easter Seals
Other Info: Epsilon Sigma Alpha has numerous avenues in which to participate. Traditional chapters are open to persons 18 years of age and older, regardless of race, color, creed, or national origin. ESA also features active youth chapters for young women not yet 18 years of age; Collegiate Sorority Chapters to accommodate members within academic settings; and men’s chapters. In addition, an Associate Membership is also available, where individuals and companies can support ESA without belonging to an established chapter.

Kappa Delta Phi -
Founded: prior to 1925
Size:
Purpose: To teach sisterly love, Loyalty to God, to Country and to Kappa Delta Phi. Sublimity of ideals and affections. Intellectual and cultural development. To spread good cheer. To be a social influence in the community. To be of civic service to the community. To honor and perpetuate the glories of American Womanhood
Philanthropy: Occupational therapy education
Other Info: Not affiliated with the collegiate sorority Kappa Delta Phi NAS.

Kappa Kappa Kappa http://www.trikappa.org
Founded: 1901 in Indianapolis, Indiana
Size: 146 active chapters, 130 associate chapters, 11,000 members
Purpose: to bring women into close, unselfish relationship for the promotion of charity, culture and education.
Philanthropy: Each Tri Kappa chapter has special projects in its community
Other Info: Exists only within the boundaries of Indiana. Called Tri-Kappa, never KKK.

Lambda Tau Delta -
Contact: 730 Newberry Ave, La Grange Park, IL, United States
Phone: (708) 354-2119
Founded: pre-1929
Size:
Philanthropy: Heartspring, Aid to the Handicapped

Omega Nu -
Contact: Grand Council of Omega Nu Sorority, 125 Linden St, Santa Cruz, CA 95062-1017
Founded: April 4, 1903
Size: 13 chapters
Purpose: serves the own community through charity and service

P.E.O. Sisterhood - http://www.peointernational.org/
Founded: 1869 at Iowa Wesleyan College
Size: ~250,000 members
Purpose: Friendship is the cornerstone the Founders laid for our unique Sisterhood, and P.E.O. continues to be a source of encouragement and support for women to realize their potential in whatever worthwhile endeavor they choose.
Philanthropy: Education

Phi Beta Psi - http://www.phibetapsi.org/
Founded: 1904 in Columbus, Ohio
Size: 87 chapters, 2100 active members
Location: Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Washington
Purpose: The purpose of Phi Beta Psi is to participate in charitable work, to promote fraternal relationship among its members and to establish and assist other chapters of Phi Beta Psi.
Philanthropy: Cancer Research

Phi Epsilon Phi -
Contact: Phi Epsilon Phi National Office, PO Box 4096, Burlingame, CA 94011-4096
Founded: 1937
Size: 16 chapters
Purpose:To strive for increased knowledge, To be impartial in our judgement of others. To reach maturity through an understanding of ourselves. To establish a relationship with those around us, where we practice moderation, tranquility, kindness, and honor. To practice the art of being a friend, and thus, give and gain greater happiness
Philanthropy: Cancer Research and The Alzheimers Association

Phi Tau Omega -
Founded: March 8, 1925
Size: 36 chapters, 500 active members
Purpose:

Pi Omicron -
Phone:
Founded:
Size: 23 chapters
Philanthropy:

Psi Delta Sigma - http://www.psideltasigma.org/
Founded: February 21, 1921
Size: 6 chapters
Philanthropy: United Cerebral Palsy

Psi Iota Xi - http://www.psiiotaxi.org/
Founded: 1897 in Muncie, Indiana
Size: 150 chapters, 5000 active members
Location: Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee
Purpose: The primary purpose of Psi Iota Xi is to be of service with time, money, and love in cooperation with the community
Philanthropy: Speech and hearing

Sigma Alpha - http://www.sigmaalphasorority.org/
Founded: 1913
Size: over 50 chapters
Location: California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin
Philanthropy: Heartspring, a national private residential school for children with severe multiple disabilities.
Other Info: Not affiliated with the agriculture sorority Sigma Alpha.

Sigma Beta - http://www.sigmabeta.org/
Founded: 1922 in Fort Wayne, Indiana
Size: 37 active chapters
Location: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, and Ohio
Philanthropy: Scholarships for disabled college students and other national charity projects

Sigma Phi Gamma - http://sigmaphigamma.com/
Founded: August 29, 1920 in Hartford City, Indiana
Location: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Ontario, Canada.
Purpose: Promote True friendship among women throughout the world; Work for higher standards among young people; Perform service work whenever and wherever possible.
Philanthropy: helping and giving to the communities in which they live

Theta Delta Xi -
Founded: 1924
Size: 3 chapters
Motto: To have a friend is to be a friend
Philanthropy: Focus on youth and people with disabilities, with more than $500,000 over the years going to Jewish Family and Children’s Services; the campership fund of the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco; Etgarim, a disabled children’s and youth program in Israel; Ronald McDonald House; and the National Association for the Visually Handicapped.
Other Info: Theta Delta Xi has a historically Jewish emphasis.

Theta Sigma Phi -
Founded: June 1, 1907
Size: 7 chapters
Purpose: To educate disabled students
Other Info: Not affiliated with the collegiate journalism group Theta Sigma Phi.

Theta Tau Theta -
Founded:
Size: 8 Chapters
Philanthropy: Juvenile Diabetes
Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tttttt View Post
Is this the most recent list? I want to join, but I'm in NJ and it seems like my choices are very limited. Phi Beta Psi was the only one I think. I'm African American, 26, out of college, I'm a community leader, a wife and a mom. Any assistance would be great.
The organizations that I am most familiar with are Epsilon Sigma Apha, Beta Sigma Phi and P.E.O. Sisterhood. All three have an extensive network of chapters and I am sure that there are some in New Jersey. ESA and BSP are open to non-members requesting additional information. P.E.O., on the other hand, prefers to seek out its own members.

Best wishes.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Epsilon Sigma Alpha

I checked the chapter listing for you, since I'm a sister of ESA. We currently don't have any chapters in NJ. If you were interested in forming a new chapter with some ladies in your area, check out the website.

http://www.esaintl.com/join/join_index.cfm?action=start

That's the page with information on starting a new chapter. Hope this helps you.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I've created a website for this information. and to keep it up to date. http://www.communitysororities.org

It's still under construction (like pretty much everything I do, lol ) so be patient.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Another adult sorority-- Beta Gamma Upsilon

My hometown in Indiana had a chapter of Beta Gamma Upsilon. It seemed like the organization had chapters in at least Indiana and Illionois. These were the classier women in town. Many had been in undergraduate sororities.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIDELT92 View Post
My hometown in Indiana had a chapter of Beta Gamma Upsilon. It seemed like the organization had chapters in at least Indiana and Illionois. These were the classier women in town. Many had been in undergraduate sororities.
HAD been????? Unless they officially dropped out, they still ARE. Sororities are for LIFE not just "undergraduate".
Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As I said further up thread, I think the 3 year rule applies to those who are not related (blood or marriage) to Masons but joined Rainbow or Job's through their friends.

And as AlphaFrog said, you really need to remove the sorority's name or you may be kissing your chance to join goodbye.
33girl...she removed the name, so why don't you remove it from your post too?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
33girl...she removed the name, so why don't you remove it from your post too?
It's been almost a year, I doubt she cares.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
It's been almost a year, I doubt she cares.
Thanks...I didn't even notice the dates...someone had posted a new comment, and I just assumed the entire thread was new! Oooooppppsss!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

i want to be a part of alpha kappa alpha but i dont know what to do to join but my aunt is in it and she is encouraging me to do it but im only a junior in high what can i do? how do i pledge?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgirl08 View Post
i want to be a part of alpha kappa alpha but i dont know what to do to join but my aunt is in it and she is encouraging me to do it but im only a junior in high what can i do? how do i pledge?
http://www.aka1908.org/

Oh, and I'd suggest a new username. The "08" at the end of your username may raise a few eyebrows with the AKAs.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 10-04-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

good information

This is a good resource. Thanks for making it available!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I really think the one thing I missed out on in college was joining a sorority. I guess there is all this stigma that goes along with being Greek, and not to mention sometimes costly. By the time I found out there was more to it than drinking, I was a senior about to graduate. This is a great list of community sororities and I am in Virginia, so I don’t have too much to choose from. I would love some advice about maybe which community sororities/groups to look into and possibility which ones are closer to college/social sororities. I am young and recently married and may not want to join for another year or two, but it has been on my mind, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprincess05 View Post
I would love some advice about maybe which community sororities/groups to look into and possibility which ones are closer to college/social sororities. I am young and recently married and may not want to join for another year or two, but it has been on my mind, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
It all depends on the chapter - some chapters may be younger and do more social things, some chapters are mainly composed of older women. You really have to check them out for yourself.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveFireAnts View Post
I myself am a member of the Order of the Eastern Star. To answer your questions: the 3 year membership involving Job's Daughters is in fact if you are not related to a Master Mason. As for women and men that are not a part of Job's Daughters, membership is limited to:

Only men who are Masons are eligible and only women with specific Masonic affiliation may be members. These affiliations include:
  • Affiliated Master Masons in good standing,
  • the wives
  • daughters
  • legally adopted daughters
  • mothers
  • widows
  • sisters
  • half sisters
  • granddaughters
  • stepmothers
  • stepdaughters
  • stepsisters
  • daughters-in-law
  • grandmothers
  • great granddaughters
  • nieces
  • mothers-in-law
  • sisters-in-law
  • majority rainbow girls
  • majority jobs daughters
and daughters of sisters or brothers of affiliated Master Masons in good standing, or if deceased were in good standing at the time of their death; each of whom shall have attained to at least the age of eighteen (18) years, are eligible to membership in the Order of the Eastern Star.

See the OES website for more information: http://www.easternstar.org
As another PHQ & MM of Jobies, I will add that the 3-year rule should not need to apply to any member of Job's Daughters as in order to join, you must be related to a master mason by the same standards (or close) as OES requires. Also, I'd like to add The Order of the Amaranth (which I am a memeber) as a possibility in the Masonic family. There are a ton of other Masonic groups (White Shrine, Daughters of the Nile) for those individuals searching for a fraternal bond who did not have the opportunity to join a fraternity/sorority while in college for whatever reason.