GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,051
2 members and 1,049 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

No, they wouldn't know who dropped whom.

I've seen things go a few different ways with legacies. I have known some legacies who didn't even inform their legacy sorority of their status because they wanted to get in "on their own." I've seen legacies dropped by every other sorority because their legacy status is well-known. I've seen legacies dropped from their legacy chapter just before prefs. And then I've seen sororities brag about poaching multi-generational legacies away from their legacy sororities. Legacies can also feel enormous pressure to join their legacy sorority, so I can understand why other sororities would cut them.

Without a doubt, the legacies with an active upperclassman sorority member at the same school are at a significant disadvantage. I can think of quite a few girls from UCF who really had no choice during their recruitments. It's a little hard when your sister is the recruitment chair AND your mom is one of the alumnae volunteers serving refreshments, for example...
Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I always include that on my recs whether she is a legacy to my group or another. In fact our form has a place for that. So if I know it,and I always ask if I don't already know, it's going on the rec.
I don't think this is unusual at all at least at some of the more competitive schools or houses.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
(In all honesty, there may be times when a PNM doesn't want their legacy connection known for other reasons! Though fraternity recruitment is different because the men aren't restricted by quota and RFM, I know someone whose sons don't want their legacy status known because the chapter at their school has such a bad rep -- always on probation, in trouble with local and school authorities and exisiting under the threat of being kicked off campus. They're afraid their options would be limited by being legacies. I really don't know, though, if fraternities care that someone is a legacy to another chapter and if it weighs on their decision to extend invites...maybe some fraternity members can offer some insight on that. )
My brother didn't want his legacy status known, because he wanted to know that he was invited to join the fraternity on his own merit. In fact, he looked at more than one chapter, and it just happened that the one that was the best fit for him was also his legacy group.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Both my daughters were Mega-legacies. We only listed me with Daughter #1. With Daughter # 2 we only listed daughter #1 as she joined ADPi. All Rec letters to ADPi had all the relatives listed. I specifically asked all their non ADPi Rec writers to leave that information off. Personally, I would leave it off altogether.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I always put it on if I know it. And I also always ask for it. The reason is - and the rationale I give the chapters I have worked with - is that it is an indication that the women knows about Greek life, has parents/aunts/etc who are supportive of it and therefore may be more in tune with our requirements for attendance, behaviour, etc. I see Greek influence as a plus and never assume that the legacy will go where her grandmother, mother, aunt, sister, etc, etc went or will use that as a reason to avoid it. I think it's a plus and I try to impart that idea to my chapters.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I've had another question come up and don't really know the answer.

Upon registering for recruitment, are PNMs required to list any chapters they are legacies to? My first thought was, "why wouldn't you want to list them?", but some PNMs are concerned that legacy status may actually be detrimental to their recruitment...that they will be released by all or most chapters except those they are legacies to.

It's a legit concern. Three PNMs I've done recs for were released (early) by all houses except those where they were legacies. The current PNM I speak of is open to the legacy chapter, but doesn't want to be left with it as the only possibility, especially considering that so many legacies don't get bids these days.

I know a lot of registration forms request legacy info, but don't know if divulging it is optional.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Well, to be Debbie Downer, she could end up getting released everywhere INCLUDING the legacy chapter, and be left with a handful of nothing.

We don't know that those PNMs were released because the sororities said "well she's a legacy to XYZ, she'll get a bid there, let's cut her" or because they said "she doesn't fit here" - legacy status notwithstanding.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

...so i'm guessing the best bet is to leave it off the recruitment forms but send in a legacy form to the legacy chapter along with recs to all groups.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Probably.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
...so i'm guessing the best bet is to leave it off the recruitment forms but send in a legacy form to the legacy chapter along with recs to all groups.
This is what I wish we had done with my D last fall.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Though fraternity recruitment is different because the men aren't restricted by quota and RFM, I know someone whose sons don't want their legacy status known because the chapter at their school has such a bad rep -- always on probation, in trouble with local and school authorities and existing under the threat of being kicked off campus. They're afraid their options would be limited by being legacies. I really don't know, though, if fraternities care that someone is a legacy to another chapter and if it weighs on their decision to extend invites...maybe some fraternity members can offer some insight on that.
Generally speaking, if you are a legacy to a chapter, but through a different chapter, it shouldn’t matter that much. Should give you a second look. However, if the legacy is to a current chapter member, then other fraternity chapters most likely will not actively rush him. Yet, if the man makes it know that he does not intend to rush his legacy chapter, it might be easier for him to get a bid from a non legacy chapter. But that would really depend more on the campus and the two chapters in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I always put it on if I know it. And I also always ask for it. The reason is - and the rationale I give the chapters I have worked with - is that it is an indication that the women knows about Greek life, has parents/aunts/etc who are supportive of it and therefore may be more in tune with our requirements for attendance, behavior, etc. I see Greek influence as a plus and never assume that the legacy will go where her grandmother, mother, aunt, sister, etc, etc went or will use that as a reason to avoid it. I think it's a plus and I try to impart that idea to my chapters.
I know this is something many fraternity chapters like to know as well - and not limited to just the male side of the family either. For example, if Mom or sister is Greek as well, as Titchou notes, the rushee may be more in tune with Greek Life. Or if they are a legacy to a fraternity that is not represented on campus, that may viewed as a plus for the same “in tune” reasons.

Back to sorority legacies, if the PNM is a legacy to ABC, but ABC is not represented on campus, would y’all recommend she be listed as an ABC legacy?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
? How are you supposed to know? She's been dead for 30 years and your mom never mentioned it. Maybe she didn't even know.
A friend of mine joined DPhiE, and didn't find out until after she pledged, or possibly even after initiation, that her grandmother was also a DPhiE.