GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Tau
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,488
1 members and 2,487 guests
navane

Old 12-18-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Question Paddle parties

Do any of y'all have paddle parties at your chapter or colony? Specifically, do you throw a party to make the paddles together or to have a paddle exchange? Does anyone have any similar parties?

We are just now making paddles this semester (for our big sisters, but I am going to make one for all my five family members [4 actives + 1 alumna]), and we considered giving them out at the Yellow Rose Ball, but nothing's for sure.

Thanks ladies!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

We didn't do paddles but rather anchor shaped paddles. It is a little more ASTish and less like 'we're gonna spank you'

We had our bigs make them for their littles then they wer given them on their initiation.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
My old chapter had a paddle party the night before initation, for the active members to get one last chance to be together before welcoming the new initiates. In addition to paddles, we also would make anchors. They were soo cute!!! I know that there are places you can go to get paddles made, but I enjoy just buying the stick on wooden letters from a greek store, and then decoupaging the rest of the paddle. There are a ton of options that you can have with paddles! Have fun!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We never had a paddle "party" bit it was tradition for the bigs to make them for their littles. Most families had a specific design and layout. After initiation the little would usually make them for their bigs. We made paddles for everything though, there was a spirit paddle that got passed around each week, paddles for your Secret Big sis, paddles for your Pearl, we were very crafty;-) I need to make one for my little in Oklahoma, I'm thinking of trying decupage. But feel weird breaking from my tradition.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AST_82 Send a message via Yahoo to AST_82
usually

well usually you are supposed to give away the paddle at formal. that's how we usually do it
Old 01-09-2005, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
We would have the Executive Board Members give paddles to the woman who helped each of them throughout the year. It was always a ton of fun to see who would get each officer's paddle...
Old 01-09-2005, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Thanks for the fun and creative ideas, everyone!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Paddle Exchanges

I am new at this whole paddle exchange thing and I am also Member Ed. So, my president came to me and said that I need to come up with something fun but I am like running on empty for ideas. Anyone do something erally fun or neat with their paddle exchange?? Help me out here!!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTZTMimi
Our chapter has littles give their bigs paddles, each family has certain criteria that need to be on the paddle, most don't have a specific 'shape' paddle or anything. The paddles are 'revealed' to the bigs at a sisterhood party organized by the new member class. But we quite frequently make paddles for other sisters as gifts (like for birthdays and such).

~*When your letters are in front of you, your sisters are behind you*~
Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

We do a paddle exchange once a year and basically everyone gets another sisters name out of a hat and then makes them a paddle based on their personality. At the last meeting of the semester everyone exchanges paddles. It lightens the mood after all the goodbye speeches are read.