GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,416
2 members and 1,414 guests
flamboyanttree, Kevin

Old 10-23-2010, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss recuitment 2010

Recuitment is this week I have a neighbor's child going through, anyone else?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2010, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

So... what's the word? What time do bids go out?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref was tonight, bids tomorrow. Maybe someone will tell us what quota is, I understand it was a very large group this year.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I'm a northerner (and a west coaster), a novice in things Greek, and my kids go to a very competitive west coast (so very different) Greek school, southern recruitment has a real fascination for me. PLEASE someone tell some stories (after bid day) about Ole Miss recruitment.

I am wishing all the pnms the best time ever.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone know what time today bids go out and quota? I think they started with over 900 PNM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmom View Post
Anyone know what time today bids go out and quota? I think they started with over 900 PNM.
Why don't you ask your neighbor?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Heard that Ole Miss Panhellenic Quota was 93, reflecting the large PNM group that participated. Have not heard which Chapters made quota.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Heard that Ole Miss Panhellenic Quota was 93, reflecting the large PNM group that participated. Have not heard which Chapters made quota.

I would hate to be in a pledge class that big. My fraternity pledge class was around 30 and it was hard enough to really get to know everyone, although gradually I did. I just can't imagine...how can you really know all these people? For me, it becomes more of a social club rather than a fraternity/sorority once it gets that big.

Sounds like Ole Miss needs to add at least two more sororities in the near future, although I'm sure building would be an issue and starting a colony at an SEC school is a huge challenge. I think it would really benefit everyone if ADPi and Zeta would return sometime soon, just because they have been on campus before and have strong southern/SEC reputations.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Building is a challenge in many places as donations to house corporations are not tax exempt. Giving to a GLO's foundation for the educational portions of a house is the only allowable tax deduction at this time - IF the particular foundation is willing to handle the transaction. The need to pass the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act (CHIA) is HUGE so that we can fundraise for bricks and mortar.

There are a very few places where the state government allows their university foundations to take donations for all of the structure, not just the educational portions, and even fewer schools that have bond money they can loan to the Greeks to build. One such is Alabama. Too bad all states don't see the benefits of having us house their students.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Just called my friend whose daughter went through. Bids have already been given out, and she was heading home after the festivities. Her daughter went Chi O like her sister (my friend is a KD from Ole Miss), and her daughter's friend went KD (she's a legacy). I wrote Kappa recs for both of them and am a little sad they didn't go Kappa, but I'm glad they went with their legacy chapters.

I don't know any other details, but I will probably get the scoop next week.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdelt View Post
Sounds like Ole Miss needs to add at least two more sororities in the near future, although I'm sure building would be an issue and starting a colony at an SEC school is a huge challenge. I think it would really benefit everyone if ADPi and Zeta would return sometime soon, just because they have been on campus before and have strong southern/SEC reputations.
We've discussed this before. It just isn't that simple. "Challenge" is putting it mildly - it's more like "if this doesn't work we'll be bankrupt." Also, enough time has not passed (in Ole Miss years) for either of those groups to come back. They could add 10 groups tomorrow, but just adding the groups will not make women join them. Women would rather not be Greek than be in the "wrong" group.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

At Ole Miss, I definitely think new groups will be better than groups that have left in the past. It's not as if either ADPi or Zeta can take back their old house anyway. Unfortunately I don't think a strong Southern/SEC reputation matters much. All that matters is the reputation at Ole Miss. I do agree with 33girl. At Ole Miss, "challenge" is putting it mildy....but with quota getting so high, something needs to be done. It's not going to happen without a house though.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM

This reminds me of a snark I read once about overpopulation: "When the world gets to standing room only, the problem will resolve itself." If at some point the sororities get so huge that the women no longer see the benefits of being in them, maybe the problem will resolve itself and the rushees will refuse to join such overlarge groups?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapters are going to have to start taking out multi-page ads in the DM to list all their new members!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

To put it simply 33girl, that will probably never happen. It's not like most girls at SEC schools are weighing the pros and cons of pledging/rushing. They're rushing/pledging because that's what you do. At my undergrad, the biggest sororities, which were well over 275 members, were the most sought after by far. Same with the fraternities, with the bigger ones being 150-180 members.