GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,255
0 members and 2,255 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Just a quick question

Hey everybody, I'm pretty new here so I apologize if this question has been answered before

My sister is wanting to try the online dating scene but seeing as there are so many, I just wanted to get a quick opinion (from whoever is willing) about which is the best?

As I said before I apologize if this question has been answered but I haven't quite learned the ins and outs of the site. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2011, 04:24 PM

I'm sure "someone" will tell you in a minute or two.

Honestly, all the ones I've tried have sucked.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBanks19 View Post
Hey everybody, I'm pretty new here so I apologize if this question has been answered before

My sister is wanting to try the online dating scene but seeing as there are so many, I just wanted to get a quick opinion (from whoever is willing) about which is the best?

As I said before I apologize if this question has been answered but I haven't quite learned the ins and outs of the site. Thanks!
[grammar rant]

Are there any other former English majors (or grammar enthusiasts) who cringe when people change stative verbs into continuous forms?

In other words, people might say "I am wanting to..." versus "I want to"?
It seems that people are doing this more and more, and it drives me crazy to hear and read. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Other examples are:
"I am liking him" versus "I like him."
"I am needing a job" versus "I need a job."

[/ grammar rant]

Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
[grammar rant]

Are there any other former English majors (or grammar enthusiasts) who cringe when people change stative verbs into continuous forms?

In other words, people might say "I am wanting to..." versus "I want to"?
It seems that people are doing this more and more, and it drives me crazy to hear and read. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Other examples are:
"I am liking him" versus "I like him."
"I am needing a job" versus "I need a job."

[/ grammar rant]
I really appreciate the grammar lesson, but if it is okay I would like to just stick with the subject and try to help my sister out as much as possible. Thank you though ree-xi!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Seriously, whatever. Why did you register here to ask about online dating sites?

/don't know why i bother.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Seriously, whatever. Why did you register here to ask about online dating sites?

/don't know why i bother.
I didn't register here to get information on dating sites. I just saw that there was a "dating and relationship" forum so I figured to go ahead and ask for advice while I was on the site. I apologize if I offended anyone and if so I will gladly delete the thread because it was definitely not my intention.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I really appreciate the grammar lesson, but if it is okay I would like to just stick with the subject and try to help my sister out as much as possible. Thank you though ree-xi!
Is it wise for you to be doing this research for your "sister?"

Could she check out the different sites and see which she personally feels most comfortable with? Internet dating is hit or miss. I would recommend that people stay the heck away from Internet dating sites whereas others may recommend one that they found useful. Between the commercials and the most popular as indicated by Internet search engines, your "sister" could probably see which she feels most comfortable with in terms of safety and dating options.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Try the "How Not to Write a Personal Ad" thread.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't register here to get information on dating sites. I just saw that there was a "dating and relationship" forum so I figured to go ahead and ask for advice while I was on the site. I apologize if I offended anyone and if so I will gladly delete the thread because it was definitely not my intention.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Your post comes off a lot like a spammer. Frequently they make a post, asking about a service or product and then either another account comes in an leaves spam links, or they go back and edit in spam links later so it gets archived in search results.

That's why everyone is so suspicious of your post. There's no offense taken, just concern that you're a spammer since you have no other posts.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Your post comes off a lot like a spammer. Frequently they make a post, asking about a service or product and then either another account comes in an leaves spam links, or they go back and edit in spam links later so it gets archived in search results.

That's why everyone is so suspicious of your post. There's no offense taken, just concern that you're a spammer since you have no other posts.
Ok, thank you for clarifying everything. I'm definitely not a spammer lol, I would just like to get a "feel" for all of the different forums and I started with this one.
Thank you again!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Is it wise for you to be doing this research for your "sister?"

Could she check out the different sites and see which she personally feels most comfortable with? Internet dating is hit or miss. I would recommend that people stay the heck away from Internet dating sites whereas others may recommend one that they found useful. Between the commercials and the most popular as indicated by Internet search engines, your "sister" could probably see which she feels most comfortable with in terms of safety and dating options.
Thank you for the info Dr. Phil! I'm just the type of sister that wants to help out "too" much.....I'll just leave her to do her own research from now on