GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,761
0 members and 1,761 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2004, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Fun at Northwestern

Let's sleep together

On a slumber-deprived campus, one pseudo-fraternity seeks "excellence through superior sleep" for members
By Lauren Murrow
April 07, 2004

They act like a bona fide sorority. Instead of clapping they snap. Their executive board leads discussions about their philanthropy. They practice a secret handshake and learn special songs. And now they're mingling with the ranks of the legitimate Greek system by donning a sorority girl/fraternity guy necessity: the T-shirt.

But Zeta Zeta Zeta, or Tri Zeta, isn't your typical sorority or fraternity.

Tri Zeta is a pseudo-fraternity that "encourages excellence through superior sleep." It's something college students never seem to get enough of, and Tri Zeta aims to boldly -- if not humorously -- promote more of it. The mock fraternity, which includes both males and females, is open to anyone "regardless of race, gender or sleeping-orientation."

"Now is an important time for Tri Zeta, especially around daylight-savings time when sleep is so hard to come by," said McCormick sophomore Drew Dragstrem, one of the co-founders of Tri Zeta.

On Sunday night Tri Zeta hosted a "T-Zeta T-Shirt Par-T" to pass out its first T-shirts.

Twenty people lounged around what the Tri Zetas call "the house" -- actually, the fourth-floor Allison Hall triple of sophomore co-founders and executive board members Dragstrem, Cody Hansen and Blair Heuer.

The executives answered the phone with a ready "Tri Zeta" as members called the room to be let upstairs. The screen saver on Hansen's computer features a swirling "ZZZ."

As the Tri Zetas filtered in, they enthusiastically put on their new burgundy T-shirts with "ZZZ" printed across the front in bold white lettering. The back of the shirt displays Tri Zeta's motto: "Vive bene, dormi melius," Latin for "live well, sleep better."

The co-founders first had the idea for Tri Zeta last year as an alternative for people who were not interested in sorority or fraternity life. They envisioned a house covered in carpet squares for optimum napping facilities, fully stocked with juice and cookies for snack time.

The trio decided to launch Tri Zeta during Winter Quarter, hosting a rush party during sorority recruitment.

About 30 people attended the party and the executive board utilized a "sorority-esque" point system. Each person received a score from one to five and a one word description such as "aloof," "tall," "spunky" or "girlfriend."

Proud of her "girlfriend" label, Weinberg sophomore Melissa Tague joked, "All these months of dating someone on exec have finally paid off."

Heuer said the group modeled its recruitment process after real-world examples.

"Our rush party was basically a rip-off of what we heard about sorority rush," said Heuer, a Weinberg sophomore. "Drew and I shared the ideas behind our fraternity and made it seem really serious. We sent e-mails to anyone who expressed interest, telling them they'd gotten a bid."

After all the members arrived Sunday for the T-Shirt Part-T, the Tri Zetas got down to business. They had "sleep habits sharing time" and complained that their professors aren't supportive of the fraternity and its ideals.

"We need to show them that not everyone who sleeps is a monster," said Matt Ryd, a Weinberg freshman. "There are just a few bad eggs."

While a few members searched for bargains on carpet squares on Heuer's computer, the Tri Zetas swayed and belted out their original song with the lyrics: "On our futon, you'll feel at home. You'll never have to be alone."

Justin Hwang, a Music sophomore, accompanied the members on the acoustic guitar.

Arguably the most important aspect of fraternity and sorority life is philanthropy work, and ZZZ is no different.

"Our main philanthropy is to provide carpet squares, crackers and juice to underprivileged kids," Heuer said. "Kids with carpet squares go on to be leaders."

On a campus notorious for chronic studying, Tri Zeta aims to provide a valuable service. Incorporating positions such as minstrel of lullabies, director of homeland security (defending the room from noise) and sleep ambassadors covering every part of campus, founders hope you can rest easy knowing Tri Zeta is looking out for you.

As long as NU students suffer from sleep deprivation, the members of Tri Zeta will continue to encourage sleep. But next year the founders said they probably won't be living in "the house."

"The house may be off campus next year," Heuer said. "Tri Zeta is the next Kappa Sig."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
first word that comes to mind:

cute...
Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Banned

I'm glad Evanston is just as strange as Hyde Park.

-Rudey
Old 04-07-2004, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

ha ha ha ha ha.

Funny stuff.

Actually, most college students don't get enough sleep. This may be the most beneficial fraternity yet!
Old 04-07-2004, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

-Rudey
LOL...
Old 04-07-2004, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

when i was still in college we used to have sleep-a-thons to see who could sleep for the longest. good times.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
That is quite interesting. I could really use a lot of sleep like that...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Sleep a thon!!! I should use that as a philanthropy idea. Pledge 20 cents an hour... lol
Old 04-08-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XOMichelle
ha ha ha ha ha.

Funny stuff.

Actually, most college students don't get enough sleep. This may be the most beneficial fraternity yet!

Wait 'til you have kids; the dark undereye circles will require a couple of coats of spackle before you can leave the house!

Believe me, I know
Old 04-08-2004, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

-Rudey

hold up hyde park is not strange... and evanston is another planet they are on some good stuff up there
Old 04-08-2004, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Haha, cute!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Funny and cute!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KEPike
when i was still in college we used to have sleep-a-thons to see who could sleep for the longest. good times.
Haha my roomie in the dorms and I used to do that...I made it 20 hours one night.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This article seems cute on Greekchat, but I actually picked up a copy of the Daily Northwestern at work and this article was kind of sad.

It took up a rather large chunk of the first page and spilled onto a decent part of another page.

Evanston is just outside of the 3rd largest city in the US, surely they could find something more news-worthy happening in the Chicago, northern Illinois, or the Tri-State are.

Indiana University managed to have a full newspaper everyday, and that was in Bloomington, IN...out in BFE!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by xp2k
This article seems cute on Greekchat, but I actually picked up a copy of the Daily Northwestern at work and this article was kind of sad.

It took up a rather large chunk of the first page and spilled onto a decent part of another page.

Evanston is just outside of the 3rd largest city in the US, surely they could find something more news-worthy happening in the Chicago, northern Illinois, or the Tri-State are.

Indiana University managed to have a full newspaper everyday, and that was in Bloomington, IN...out in BFE!
It's a campus newspaper and not a city, northern illinois, or Tri-State area paper isn't it?

-Rudey