GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,255
0 members and 2,255 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2014, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Clemson University suspends all fraternities after freshman’s death

South Carolina’s Clemson University has suspended all 24 of its on-campus fraternities following the death of a 19-year-old freshman on Monday.
According to USA Today, fraternity brothers of Tucker Hipps say that the new member from Piedmont, South Carolina went jogging with them on Monday morning, but fell behind and subsequently disappeared. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/c...eshmans-death/

Clemson suspends frat activities after drowning death http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...eath/16142317/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2014, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

*IFC Fraternities

Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
*IFC Fraternities
Thank you for the clarification. I was just about to ask. Using "ALL" made me think it was every fraternity on their campus, not just the IFC.

I wonder what is about to happen?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wierdly broad brush...

The article left me wondering whether the 24 fraternities mentioned represented the entirety of the NIC, and if so, does *every* member of the NIC have that type of report?

If not, I find the idea of idea of limiting the activities of Delta Tau Delta (to pick an example) without limiting those of Kappa Alpha Psi or Kappa Alpha Theta to be really odd...
Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Wow, bad thread title.

They didn't suspend the fraternities, they suspended PLEDGING ACTIVITIES.

And considering this has already been commented on by a poster who is AN ACTUAL ACTIVE SORORITY MEMBER AT CLEMSON I don't know why this thread is even here. The last thing we need is a poorly written USA Today article.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The article left me wondering whether the 24 fraternities mentioned represented the entirety of the NIC, and if so, does *every* member of the NIC have that type of report?

If not, I find the idea of idea of limiting the activities of Delta Tau Delta (to pick an example) without limiting those of Kappa Alpha Psi or Kappa Alpha Theta to be really odd...
The campus IFC members are affected, not the NIC member fraternities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And considering this has already been commented on by a poster who is AN ACTUAL ACTIVE SORORITY MEMBER AT CLEMSON I don't know why this thread is even here. The last thing we need is a poorly written USA Today article.
In which thread? I don't remember seeing anything

Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

In the "What do you feel like saying right now?" thread.

I see that LillyPhi has been banned, after others noticed her/his posts were always negative/anti-Greek. SOM seems to have a similar track record.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow, bad thread title.

They didn't suspend the fraternities, they suspended PLEDGING ACTIVITIES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
The campus IFC members are affected, not the NIC member fraternities.

In which thread? I don't remember seeing anything
I posted in the thread LillyPhi started with the misleading title that appears to have been deleted. Points of clarification:

-All social and new member activities have been suspended indefinitely for fraternities that belong to the campus IFC. This means, for example, that our chapter of Beta Upsilon Chi has been suspended, even though they are not a member of the NIC, and it means that none of the NPHC chapters are facing these sanctions.

-All fraternities are required to initiate their new members by 9 PM this Friday unless they have asked for and been approved for an extension. A member of each national organization is required to confirm that the fraternities actually initiated their new members.

-Fraternity philanthropic events and alumni events are being approved on a case-by-case basis. We're in the middle of Sigma Chi's Derby Days right now and various aspects of it are and aren't being cancelled at the last minute. As of right now we have no idea if the annual Homecoming float-building competition is happening or not.

-The first of the Office of Conduct and Ethical Standards (OCES) hearings against fraternities are being heard this week. The number of fraternities with campus charges pending against them keeps changing, and I don't know which ones that is or what the charges are.

-Tucker was a sophomore, not a freshman. This was his first year on campus but he was enrolled in the Clemson University Bridge Program last year, which is similar to other college transition programs found at Texas and Texas Tech.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 09-24-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post

Why would Kappa Alpha Theta be impacted, when we are not a member of the NIC or IFC?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
In the "What do you feel like saying right now?" thread.

I see that LillyPhi has been banned, after others noticed her/his posts were always negative/anti-Greek. SOM seems to have a similar track record.
Well Scencewoman I never gave much thought at all about my posting style or record. If I do see something positive, I would give some thought to posting here. And yes, some of what I post is of a negative report. And not due to me being "anti-Greek". As people who know me in the real world would tell you I am rather "pro-Greek". And negative actions within or by Greeks hurts us all. And in this case, it may be more of the actions of the school than of the GLO's. Time will tell us all which it is.

I guess I missed the other thread when I did a search to see if this had been posted already.

As for source matterial, once it was brought up as a concern, I did a rather fast search of the internet and found more, much more on this story.
Clemson Suspends Activity at 24 Fraternities After Student Dies http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...dent-dies.html

Was 19-year-old Clemson student killed by hazing? University suspends fraternity activities after Sigma Phil Eplison member fell off bridge to his death after 'initiation ritual'

• Tucker Hipps' body was found in Hartwell Lake Monday and investigation into the cause of death continues
  • Six students were arrested earlier this year on drug charges in a police sting operation
  • All 24 of the campus fraternities are affected by the ban
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3EHiJFc30

Clemson University suspends all fraternity activities after student death

University officials cite reports of alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct but stop short of tying ban to student’s death http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...tivities-death

Clemson Suspends All Fraternity Activities After Student Death http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2014/0...student-death/

Last edited by SOM; 09-24-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:16 PM

If you really are pro Greek, you should be aware that the news media often does a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD job with Greek terms and to reproduce their headlines whole is foolhardy.

This is quite a Zippy thread.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you really are pro Greek, you should be aware that the news media often does a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD job with Greek terms and to reproduce their headlines whole is foolhardy.

This is quite a Zippy thread.
I know and understand that all too well 33girl. And that observation goes to just about every report on every type of event by any type of media. Part of the reason I read a great deal from many sources.

In this case, usage of terms is a bit problematic. As are the facts of the matter.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM

Wow. ALL IFC fraternities got slapped with sanctions because ONE pledge died under circumstances that nobody can prove had anything to do with hazing?

As many of you know, back in 1997, a freshman FIJI pledge at MIT died from alcohol poisoning. From all the information I have (I was a grad student at the time, and also did my undergrad at MIT) I'm pretty well convinced it was hazing. The pledge class was provided with a considerable amount of alcohol and had to consume all the alcohol before they could leave the room, and Scott Krueger "took one for the team" as it were, drank way too much booze, and died. (FIJI pulled the chapter's charter.)

We (the undergrad and graduate student body) thought the MIT administration's reaction was pretty extreme. They banned alcohol at any event where anyone under 21 might be in attendance. (They later backed off a bit - IIRC, when the dust settled, alcohol was allowed at events as long as everyone was carded and someone who was TIPS trained was present.)

But that's nothing compared to "OK, a pledge died, we can't prove it's hazing, but there have been incidents of hazing on campus, so we're just going to paint all IFC fraternities with a broad brush and tell them that they must initiate all current pledges immediately and not recruit any new pledges" (indefinitely, as far as I can make out).
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My impression is that the suspension is less about this specific incident/this specific fraternity and more to do with problems with the general fraternity culture there. According to the Student Affairs VP, over the past couple weeks alone, the university has gotten at least 15 complaints over hazing, sexual assault, and other problems--and at least 6 of those complaints are serious enough that they're being investigated by the police. To me, that does suggest a crisis that's dire enough to take drastic measures.

The NPHC and NPC groups are either not engaging in the same kinds of practices or nobody is bothering to complain about them doing so, so it's not surprising that they wouldn't be subject to the ban.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
the university has gotten at least 15 complaints over hazing, sexual assault, and other problems[/URL]--and at least 6 of those complaints are serious enough that they're being investigated by the police.
We're talking about a student body of nearly 17,000 students. If less than 1:1000 on a campus is experiencing some sort of negative behavior, can we really call it an epidemic?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma