GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,133
3 members and 2,130 guests
LaneSig, Xidelt

Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it possible to be in a sorority while double majoring

If its Psych and Communication Sciences and Disorders? I am a junior and i am a psych major currently. I am considering doubling in CSD but i hear it is really hard and i am not smart. I work hard, but i know i'm not smart by nature or a genius. I really want to be a speech pathologist and i know it would be worth it, i just know how competitive Master programs are. Is it possible to be apart of a sorority while doubling in these majors and maintaining around a 3.6-3.8 GPA? I might need to add on another year of school to finish up the CSD major.

Anybody else have CSD as a major or both that could help me with some advice? Also is Anatomy the hardest class in CSD?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

There are many people in GLOs who are in "hard" majors and double majors. It's all about time management.

As a junior who will likely be going into your "difficult" classes soon, you need to determine whether or not you'll have the time.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a psych and Speech Path double major, so it "can" be done. However, I am much more concerned that you say that your grades aren't good and that you aren't very smart. A bachelor's in Speech Path/Communication Disorders gets your nowhere. Nowhere. You need to think long and hard about this as a possible major and your realistic ability to get into/succeed in graduate school.

Sorority is the least of your concerns.

/intentionally ignoring junior status
Old 07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes yes yes it's quite possible! While I'm not technically a double major, I'm a physics major and I'm also pre-health (there's very little overlap, and I believe it's pretty close credit-wise). I also know *many* sisters who are double majors. It's challenging to balance two majors (or a pre-health curriculum & a major, or a major and minors, or whatever the case may be), but I feel like I would barely be keeping my head above water if I weren't in a sorority. ΚΔ has been wonderful at helping me become better at time management. Yes, I have made a commitment of quite a bit of time to my sorority (and hopefully more if I'm elected to council this fall!), but knowing that I have all of these other things on my schedule, I'm better able to tell myself that something can't be put off another night.

I also do quite a bit of my homework/studying at the chapter house, as do many of my sisters. I find myself more productive when I have people around me who are also being productive, and it helps that I usually have at least one sister in every class to study/do homework with. We all put academics first. Our all-sorority GPA is higher than the all-women's GPA on my campus (as is the fraternity vs. all male, and all-Greek/all campus), and my chapter's GPA is higher than the all-sorority/all-Greek GPAs (and I believe our chapter GPA is at 3.3 currently). I'm also above all of these.

So yes, I think it's definitely possible. I personally think being in a sorority does wonders for my academics, and can actually help women who are struggling academically, whatever the reason may be.

Also, If you're saying maintain a 3.6, you are *certainly* not stupid. I don't know anyone who finds college a breeze. It's work. It should be challenging... or what would the point be? And if you actually don't think you can do it, then I agree that sorority is the least of your worries.

Last edited by aj12291; 07-11-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Edited to add last paragraph
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
I was a psych and Speech Path double major, so it "can" be done. However, I am much more concerned that you say that your grades aren't good and that you aren't very smart. A bachelor's in Speech Path/Communication Disorders gets your nowhere. Nowhere. You need to think long and hard about this as a possible major and your realistic ability to get into/succeed in graduate school.

Sorority is the least of your concerns.

/intentionally ignoring junior status
LOL woahh i never said my grades weren't good. They are good. I just don't think i am naturally smart I know i need a masters..trust me i've researched. I am just wondering if i can handle the work load of both majors while trying to maintain a life in a sorority.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Her inference was completely logical based on you saying you're not very smart. All kinds of sorority women have really tough majors and take on crazy work/extracurricular loads. I'm just wondering if the "I'm not very smart" comment is indicative of self-esteem that will suffer tremendously during rush. Rush is hard, physically and emotionally, and depending on where you go, being a junior can cause you to experience cuts that would hurt the feelings of even the strongest girls.

Can you do it? Who knows? Can you take on your load plus an extra 10-20 hours a week of additional commitments? If you know for sure the answer is no, then I would seriously consider what you're in for.

And as an aside, it would be good to learn that your choice of words counts. The way you described yourself to complete strangers was at minimum unfortunate. "I would consider myself an ordinary student who works very hard to maintain good grades" might be a bit closer to an accurate statement than "I'm not very smart."
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj12291 View Post
Yes yes yes it's quite possible! While I'm not technically a double major, I'm a physics major and I'm also pre-health (there's very little overlap, and I believe it's pretty close credit-wise). I also know *many* sisters who are double majors. It's challenging to balance two majors (or a pre-health curriculum & a major, or a major and minors, or whatever the case may be), but I feel like I would barely be keeping my head above water if I weren't in a sorority. ΚΔ has been wonderful at helping me become better at time management. Yes, I have made a commitment of quite a bit of time to my sorority (and hopefully more if I'm elected to council this fall!), but knowing that I have all of these other things on my schedule, I'm better able to tell myself that something can't be put off another night.

I also do quite a bit of my homework/studying at the chapter house, as do many of my sisters. I find myself more productive when I have people around me who are also being productive, and it helps that I usually have at least one sister in every class to study/do homework with. We all put academics first. Our all-sorority GPA is higher than the all-women's GPA on my campus (as is the fraternity vs. all male, and all-Greek/all campus), and my chapter's GPA is higher than the all-sorority/all-Greek GPAs (and I believe our chapter GPA is at 3.3 currently). I'm also above all of these.

So yes, I think it's definitely possible. I personally think being in a sorority does wonders for my academics, and can actually help women who are struggling academically, whatever the reason may be.

Also, If you're saying maintain a 3.6, you are *certainly* not stupid. I don't know anyone who finds college a breeze. It's work. It should be challenging... or what would the point be? And if you actually don't think you can do it, then I agree that sorority is the least of your worries.
No i dont have a 3.6 im just saying i know around a 3.5-4.0 is what is necessary or better looked at for getting into a Masters program. My gpa is around a 3.3..not the best but not bad.My gpa will start over though because i go to a different school now.

Also are you able to attend social events and volunteer work for your sorority where you can at least have a social life?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Her inference was completely logical based on you saying you're not very smart. All kinds of sorority women have really tough majors and take on crazy work/extracurricular loads. I'm just wondering if the "I'm not very smart" comment is indicative of self-esteem that will suffer tremendously during rush. Rush is hard, physically and emotionally, and depending on where you go, being a junior can cause you to experience cuts that would hurt the feelings of even the strongest girls.

Can you do it? Who knows? Can you take on your load plus an extra 10-20 hours a week of additional commitments? If you know for sure the answer is no, then I would seriously consider what you're in for.

And as an aside, it would be good to learn that your choice of words counts. The way you described yourself to complete strangers was at minimum unfortunate. "I would consider myself an ordinary student who works very hard to maintain good grades" might be a bit closer to an accurate statement than "I'm not very smart."
Just because i have good grades doesn't necessarily make me smart, it just means i work hard like i mentioned earlier. I am also not worried about rush or being a junior. I've talked to many people and that isn't an issue where i go to school. I do not have problems with my self esteem its just that i know realistically i am not a genius and my memory isnt like photogenic and antaomy is a lot of memorization i hear. I didn't say i can't do it for sure i just don't know. I am going to take a class in CSD to see how i like it. I just wanted to make sure i can have a good balance with my social life, having an on campus job, and school work
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitashort View Post
If its Psych and Communication Sciences and Disorders? I am a junior and i am a psych major currently. I am considering doubling in CSD but i hear it is really hard and i am not smart. I work hard, but i know i'm not smart by nature or a genius. I really want to be a speech pathologist and i know it would be worth it, i just know how competitive Master programs are. Is it possible to be apart of a sorority while doubling in these majors and maintaining around a 3.6-3.8 GPA? I might need to add on another year of school to finish up the CSD major.

Anybody else have CSD as a major or both that could help me with some advice? Also is Anatomy the hardest class in CSD?
In undergraduate school, Speech & Hearing Sciences was my major, and my other major was Italian (odd combination but it has served me well, although in hindsight Spanish would have been much more useful).

Honestly, to be competitive for graduate school admission, you'll need at least a 3.8, and a high GRE score, in addition to participating in undergraduate research (if that's an option), completing observation hours, and in general having a well-rounded application and strong recommendations from your major professors. The admissions committee at many universities has begun interviewing prospective applicants. The applicant pool numbers are often posted at many graduate schools (i.e. how many spots are open, and how many prospective students applied for those spots).

Anatomy is by no means the hardest class in the major (and cadavers are used, to the best of my knowledge). They are all hard, as it's an applied behavioral science, and coursework gets harder in graduate school. Have you looked at the ASHA (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association) website to see the required coursework and clock hours for certification upon completion of your master's degree? That should give you an idea of the difficulty of the undergraduate major.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
In undergraduate school, Speech & Hearing Sciences was my major, and my other major was Italian (odd combination but it has served me well, although in hindsight Spanish would have been much more useful).

Honestly, to be competitive for graduate school admission, you'll need at least a 3.8, and a high GRE score, in addition to participating in undergraduate research (if that's an option), completing observation hours, and in general having a well-rounded application and strong recommendations from your major professors. The admissions committee at many universities has begun interviewing prospective applicants. The applicant pool numbers are often posted at many graduate schools (i.e. how many spots are open, and how many prospective students applied for those spots).

Anatomy is by no means the hardest class in the major (and cadavers are used, to the best of my knowledge). They are all hard, as it's an applied behavioral science, and coursework gets harder in graduate school. Have you looked at the ASHA (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association) website to see the required coursework and clock hours for certification upon completion of your master's degree? That should give you an idea of the difficulty of the undergraduate major.
I've been on the site but it wasn't too helpful in terms of undergrad info. That or i wasn't looking in the right areas, I went to my school website and looked at the requirements for both a BA and MA..It said i would need at least a 3.5 GPA to be considered for admission in a MA program.

Last edited by Vitashort; 07-12-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitashort View Post
I've been on the site but it wasn't too helpful in terms of undergrad info. That or i wasn't looking in the right areas, I went to my school website and looked at the requirements for both a BA and MA..It said i would need at least a 3.5 GPA to be considered for admission in a MA program.
I work for two Universities that have SLHS/CSD undergraduate and graduate programs. A 3.5 GPA "at least" means paired with a near-perfect GRE score and evidence of undergraduate research and stellar activities. More likely the GPA for a successful applicant will be very close to a 4.0

Specifically look on ASHA.org under the "certification" tab. Did you search NSSHLA.org? They have a tool called "edfind" that should help you.

It's doable, but you've got to have a lot of motivation and cast a very wide net when applying to graduate schools.

Taking on membership in a sorority might or might not adversely impact your academics. I don't know you.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I work for two Universities that have SLHS/CSD undergraduate and graduate programs. A 3.5 GPA "at least" means paired with a near-perfect GRE score and evidence of undergraduate research and stellar activities. More likely the GPA for a successful applicant will be very close to a 4.0

Specifically look on ASHA.org under the "certification" tab. Did you search NSSHLA.org? They have a tool called "edfind" that should help you.

It's doable, but you've got to have a lot of motivation and cast a very wide net when applying to graduate schools.

Taking on membership in a sorority might or might not adversely impact your academics. I don't know you.
No i haven't checked out that site. thank you! I am still deciding whether or not i want to do this as a major, but i really like the idea of becoming a speech pathologist. I am just going to keep researching.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Linguistics is a component of the program; Phonetics is a requirement that many undergraduate majors find challenging. Speech Science is also difficult, and I had to take a physics class as a prerequisite. Speech-Language Pathology also requires a strong understanding of statistics and research methods, so there are math requirements. In hindsight, Anatomy was actually easiest because it was hands-on and visual. And I had to take a class in technical writing (we write a lot of treatment notes and reports).

That's why the ASHA site section on certification is so valuable; it lists the required coursework to meet certification requirements.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Linguistics is a component of the program; Phonetics is a requirement that many undergraduate majors find challenging. Speech Science is also difficult, and I had to take a physics class as a prerequisite. Speech-Language Pathology also requires a strong understanding of statistics and research methods, so there are math requirements. In hindsight, Anatomy was actually easiest because it was hands-on and visual. And I had to take a class in technical writing (we write a lot of treatment notes and reports).

That's why the ASHA site section on certification is so valuable; it lists the required coursework to meet certification requirements.
I already asked the department at my school if i needed physics and they said no thank god. But the others you mentioned i've seen on the requirements. I wish i could prestudy online somehow just to see what i'd be getting into. I am also really good at statistics so i'm not worried about that class. I will check out that section on ASHA. Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to be snarky but all the posters are answering the question you THOUGHT you asked and not the one you ACTUALLY asked. You asked: "Is it possible to be apart of a sorority while doubling in these majors and maintaining around a 3.6-3.8 GPA".

And the answer is certainly, because if you are apart from it you would have nothing to do do with it. However, if you want to be a part of one, that's a different story altogether.