GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,339
2 members and 2,337 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Whenever possible, I try to read the book before seeing the movie. I honestly can't think of any movie version that I liked better than its book counterpart. Many times, after seeing the movie, I'll think, "If I had seen that before reading the book, I doubt I would have had any interest in reading it." Most recent case in point: The Hunger Games. I really liked the book. And because I enjoyed the book so much, I found the movie version disappointing.

I'm really looking forward to Ender's Game. I absolutely love that book, and I hope the movie does it justice.

KR - I saw a preview for The Great Gatsby recently, and it looks pretty good! I'll probably actually see this version, despite the fact that Nick is played by Tobey Maguire. (The Nick in my head, although still young, sounds wiser than what I think Tobey can pull off. But, I'll try to reserve judgment until I've seen the movie.)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
Is anyone else excited about "The Great Gatsby" coming out this summer? "Gatsby" is my alltime favorite book. I've heard that Leonardo DiCaprio does an incredible job as Gatsby. I'll absolutely see it but I'm not getting my hopes up after sitting through the 2001 version that featured Mira Sorvino galloping through the movie as the etheral Daisy Buchanan.
Ummmm....Isla Fisher as Myrtle. WHAT WHAT. God knows the 1974 version had issues but Karen Black in that part was not one of them, she nailed it.

Then again if it's anything like Leo's performance in The Aviator he'll blow everyone off the screen anyway so it's not really going to matter.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Ummmm....Isla Fisher as Myrtle. WHAT WHAT. God knows the 1974 version had issues but Karen Black in that part was not one of them, she nailed it.

Then again if it's anything like Leo's performance in The Aviator he'll blow everyone off the screen anyway so it's not really going to matter.
Wait....Isla Fisher as Myrtle? I did not know this. I really can't see that. Myrtle smolders. Isla, well, Isla bubbles.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM

I'm also not feeling the guy who is playing Tom. They should get someone who is actually good looking to do it for once.

Oh and Jack Nicholson as Meyer Wolfsheim please. LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's yet another category. Little Women, eeeesh. The Katharine Hepburn version wasn't bad but the latest one was RIDICULOUS. Winona Ryder sitting around whining about how ugly she is and she's going to be an old maid was asinine. Don't get me started on Marmee the feminist.
I've got a soft spot for all of the Little Women films. I love them all, no matter how bad they might be. Having said that, I generally re-read Little Women every year, and even keep copies on my phone and iPad in case I need a fix.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls by James Patterson. Great books. AWFUL movies.

In the books, Alex Cross is a younger guy, with two kids, whose wife passed away, and he lives with his grandmother. In the movies, he's played by (a much older) Morgan Freeman and there is no mention of family at all. The character is just completely different.

The movies sucked, and I believe one of them ended in an entirely different way than the book. I'm never a fan of such big changes between the two.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't read Kiss the Girls, but I loved the movie.

I've read all the HP and HG books. I think the HP books were done pretty well. I actually liked HG but I'm wondering (hoping) that they do Catching Fire the justice it deserves (as I LOVED that book).

I loved the book A Time to Kill and except for one minor part when Brigance is fired as the lawyer for like 5 chapters, the movie followed the book pretty much to the T.

I loved the Percy Jackson books HATED the movie! It was more a movie "based loosely off" of the book. It was so bad.

The Twilight books were good. Preferred the ending of Breaking Dawn part 2 movie than the book, as I felt the book was a HUGE let down.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I loved the book A Time to Kill and except for one minor part when Brigance is fired as the lawyer for like 5 chapters, the movie followed the book pretty much to the T.
Agreed. The movie of The Firm, on the other hand, totally screwed up the ending. So disappointing.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone seen Ender's Game yet? Just wondering how it compares to the book...
Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Fried Green Tomatoes. A fine movie, but an AMAZING book.

The book has so much more texture and depth, and it has so many story lines that the movie just can't touch.

That said, not a terrible movie - but the book is just so much better!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw Ender's Game but I haven't read the book. I have a feeling the book will be much better than the movie was. Not that the movie was horrible, but lets face it books can give more information.

Looking forward to Catching Fire and how they adapted the book to the movie.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt