GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,748
0 members and 1,748 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Question Community Service

Do other chapters consider cleaning the chapter house as community service hours?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Community service hours should benefit someone else other than yourselves.

Last edited by RaggedyAnn; 03-12-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 AM

Unless the stench coming from the house is offending the rest of the community, I'm saying no.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought of another gage for community service-Will your university give you credit towards community service hours? We used to have to submit who, what, when (and how long) and where.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

community service

Are you asking this question because the women in your chapter think that cleaning the house is ok for community service? Or are you asking this because you think it *should* be counted as community service?

I think any type of house cleaning is inappropriate for community service- period. This is just heading down a path that I think you don't wanna head down.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My Chapter considers it community service, and I feel like I'm the only one who disagrees with it, but I can't do anything to change it because the actives want to count it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybuglady View Post
Are you asking this question because the women in your chapter think that cleaning the house is ok for community service? Or are you asking this because you think it *should* be counted as community service?

I think any type of house cleaning is inappropriate for community service- period. This is just heading down a path that I think you don't wanna head down.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Pardon the crash, but does ASA require you to submit a service report at the end of the semester/year? In my organization, we have to include service hours with descriptions of the activities.

If "cleaned chapter house" is listed on there, it may cause nationals/regionals to clear up what service activities will be counted.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBug View Post
My Chapter considers it community service, and I feel like I'm the only one who disagrees with it, but I can't do anything to change it because the actives want to count it.
Have you talked to an advisor or your District Facilitator about this?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

This makes me feel better hearing that. Contact your Education Coaching Team Member/Leader. They will be able to help reinforce this. Perhaps other board members can support you in this as well.

Actually, knight shadow's crash reminds me that there is a really good thread running on favorite service projects. It might even be his fraternity that has it running.

Also, there may be a Sister Circle group that the women could go to to talk about it for Philanthropy Chairs. I don't know how active it is, but it would be worth a post. I know if you/they posted in Discussion, there would be alumnae support for you there.

Is there a local alumnae chapter near you? Perhaps you can reach out to their president and talk to them. They would probably be willing to do a service project with you-especially if they knew the women needed mentoring.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybuglady View Post
Good point. Unless it's a Habitat for Humanity house. If it gets around that ASAs are cleaning the house because they have to, someone's going to get it twisted and think it's hazing. Not only that, just the concept of us as scullery maids is kind of gross.

WinniBug - another idea is - if the campus has an Alpha Phi Omega chapter, see if they have any service projects they need help with or if there's something bigger they've wanted to do and didn't have the manpower. My APO chapter helped with the bloodmobile when it came to school and the ASTs always helped also.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I am Chapter Advisor
Anytime I bring it up or question it, they don't listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
Have you talked to an advisor or your District Facilitator about this?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am Chapter Advisor
Anytime I bring it up or question it, they don't listen
Someone brought up getting your ECTL/Members involved in this discussion - I think that's a good idea. If that doesn't go anywhere, there's your DF. As an Advisor, it's your job to "police" the chapter on issues such as this. Yeah, it sucks, but you're the first link in the chain of command that extends toward National. If they're not listening to you, elevate to the next level.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

ugh
and last night at meeting, they were trying to count stepping for homecoming and going to other greek organizations' philanthropy events like kickball and skit as community service
how do i tell them that's not community service without making them hate me for it?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
how do i tell them that's not community service without making them hate me for it?
You can't. But you still need to.

How far is you chapter from Concorde or Radford? Those girls actually INCREASED their required service hours as a chapter because it is so important to them. They also love to roadtrip, so maybe you could invite Beta Pi or Beta Iota down to a philanthropy event - or y'all could go to one of theirs, and maybe the service enthusiasm would wear off on your chapter.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
ugh
and last night at meeting, they were trying to count stepping for homecoming and going to other greek organizations' philanthropy events like kickball and skit as community service
They are going to hate you for it. That's one of the sucky things about being an advisor. But there is NWIH any of those count as "community service" unless they clean up the auditorium afterwards.

There is a cotillion in my hometown and the girls have to do X amount of community service to be recognized. It used to be things like Candy Stripers, volunteering at the library, etc. Nowadays I see girls putting down things like cheerleading!!! It's asinine. But I guess if they are getting away w/ things like that in HS they expect to do the same in college.

I would def bring this up on SisterCircle and go to your ECTL - if she doesn't do anything, go to your DF.