GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,386
2 members and 1,384 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi Rho De-Recognized at Clarkson U.

Clarkson U. in Potsdam NY has de-recognized Alpha Chi Rho for three years. Recognition was withdrawn mainly due to providing alcohol to underage drinkers, one of whom had to be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning.

See:

http://www.newswatch50.com/news/loca...E-EF2887401B01
Old 03-11-2005, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

CLARKSON FRATERNITY KICKED OUT FOR THREE YEARS

_

Clarkson University will not recognize the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity for three years after a recommendation from the Recognition Review panel.

Alpha Chi Rho plead guilty Wednesday in Potsdam village court to a misdemeanor charge of first degree unlawfully dealing with a child. The charge stemmed from a party on January 9th at which alcohol was allegedly served to two underage students. One of those students required hospital treatment for alcohol poisoning.

As part of the guilty plea, the fraternity was ordered to pay $665 in fines and all 33 members must perform 8 hours of community service.

This is the second alcohol related incident for the fraternity in the last 3 years, which prompted the panel to make its recommendation. In October of 2002, the fraternity was charged with providing alcohol to a minor, and had signed a memorandum of understanding with the school that outlined disciplinary action to be taken if another incident occurred. They were placed on a four-year probation at that time.

Alpha Chi Rho is the second fraternity this academic year to be charged with serving alcohol to minors. Tau Kappa Epsilon plead guilty in November to serving alcohol at a party last August. The school will not recognize them for five years as a result.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

"unlawfully dealing with a child"? Are they getting kicked off campus for giving a beer to a 20-year-old? Something is seriously wrong.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Well, the wording of the charge may sound strange, but it sounds like they broke the law by serving minors and one of those minors went to the hospital with alcohol poisoning.

That's reasonably serious when you've had charges before.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Deltalum, I don't want you to think I am condoning irresponsibile behavior. I just get disgusted from time to time by the attitude of "activists" (like those horrible PAR people) who throw around terms like "alcohol poisoning" when their definition of such a thing is far outside the bounds of what normal people would think it is. I do not know what happened in this particular case; it's just that the language sounds so self-righteous. A guy who has four or five beers over the course of an afternoon is a "binge drinker". What is they say about the activists' idea of Hell being a place where everybody has to mind his own business.
By the way, your Delts here are a fine group, very well thought of.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:52 AM

Firehouse,

Appreciate the comments and explaination of your feelings.

Here's what it boils down to to me.

Here in Colorado, we have (at least) three college kids dead from alcohol poisoning. Two of the deaths were at fraternity houses.

Without looking, I would bet that the following ten, maybe fifteen, perhaps twenty threads are at least in part about chapters being closed and charters revoked because of alcohol or hazing. Most of the hazing involves alcohol.

I wonder how many former chapters have their stories told below.

How many more stories will be told in the future?

Make the argument that college students are going to drink whether or not they are in Greek organizations. That's true. But it doesn't matter. Why should we perpetuate the problem by allowing it in our houses?

Besides -- broken record time -- it's against the law. The law. Not the norms of society, or university regulations. The law.

It's illegal.

People or organizations can get arrested and have to pay fines or even serve jail terms.

I'll bet there's not one fraternity ritual that says, "We know it's against the law, but since everyone does it, it's OK to supply our underage brothers with alcohol because the law in unfair and we will ignore it."

I'll also bet that there is no fraternity bylaws or constitution that says "In order to impress our new members, it is necessary to beat them or humiliate them."

Those things are against the rules in every fraternity I'm aware of.

Those things are local chapter problems and decisions.

So, how many more chapters will we read about in this forum in the next year -- two years -- ten years?

When will chapters wake up to the new reality?

Somewhere, sometime, this has to stop.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Amen.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Delt - you missed two other very relevant reasons for the ongoing problems, which are both catastrophes waiting to happen:

(1) "It Can't Happen Here" mentality. Unfortunately, this becomes a slippery slope as well, so it is a problematic issue in and of itself, but this is how I describe it. Things have been done a certain way for so long, with no "real" problems being discovered, so slowly, inexorably, it gets ratcheted up each semester. "Last semester, we made them drink 8 shots to prove they are 'man' enough to take it, so let's make it 10 this semester." They lose sight of what it really means to be a BROTHER to another human being.

(2) Closely related to (1) - "We've always done it that way" - the "Tradition" argument. Just because it's been done, doesn't mean it's "Right" or "brotherly" to continue doing something possibly illegal, but always stupid.

How many times do we read about chapters closing or probation or other punishments where both 1 and 2 were offered up as explanations? So many activities are accidents waiting to happen that the membership has become numb, ignorant, or both to the possible consequences of activities. Add to this mix the concept of Groupthink, and a deadly scenario is waiting to happen.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:14 PM

No argument there, LXAALUM. You know I agree and worry about those things, too.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

the sad thing...it just seems to keep going.
nmsu has one in critical condition after celebrating his 22 birthday. don't think he was greek. but he was drunk according to the police.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
Glad this wasn't my school's chapter, but this happens often to every fraternity that it's hardly a surprise. However, this doesn't solve the problem on campus so suspending the fraternity is only one step. What the university does or doesn't do to educate the student population of responsible underage drinking will just force a repeat of the incident.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:57 AM

I wish it was as simple as educational programs presented by a university.

Unfortunately, those don't seem to work. Nor do the educational progames presented by the fraternities and sororities.

I believe that the strict enforcement of laws and rules that we are beginning to see more of will help, but I still think it will take peer pressure to put a dent in our alcohol problems.

That takes a change in the GLO culture.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Firehouse
"unlawfully dealing with a child"? Are they getting kicked off campus for giving a beer to a 20-year-old? Something is seriously wrong.
Isn't that illegal? 20 is not 21.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

no message