GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,502
2 members and 1,500 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 01-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Johns Hopkins Alpha Phi

It seems Risk Management might be a proper forum to list this tragic news that occured. The thread doesn't violate any rules and since the last thread was moved, I have reposted some of the thoughts from others.

AlphaXi4983

Johns Hopkins Alpha Phi

a senior sister of the alpha phi chapter at johns hopkins university in baltimore, linda trihn, was murdered in her apartment this weekend. according to the news report she was the president of the chapter. i hope all of our thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

http://webapps.jhu.edu/jhuniverse/today/trinh.cfm

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-25-2005 04:08 AM

AGDee

How tragic.

That letter said this is the second such event this year. Does anybody know about the first event? Would they/could they be related? Or is it too soon to know?

My thoughts and prayers will be with her family, friends and sisters.

Dee

01-25-2005 04:33 AM

AXiD670

How very tragic.

01-25-2005 04:38 AM

AlphaXi4983

the first one was at the end of last spring semester. it was a member of a fraternity (i forget which one) at the fraternity house or when he was leaving the fraternity house. i forget all the details but it was in or near the frat house, which was just off campus as well. it's really sad becuase the hopkins homewood campus is in a nice part of the city.

01-25-2005 04:57 AM

SATX*APhi

Wow. I am shocked. My thoughts and prayers are with her family, friends, and sisters.

I’m hell-bent 100% Texan ‘til I die

01-25-2005 06:07 AM

bruinaphi

At times like this it is hard to find the words to express the sorrow and loss that we all feel. My heart and thoughts will be with her family, friends, loved ones and the chapter as a whole as they make their way through this tragedy.

01-25-2005 08:37 AM

mmcat

how terribly sad.
my thoughts and prayers with her family, sisters and friends.

01-25-2005 12:22 PM

KillarneyRose

What a horrible tragedy. And scary, too, since as AlphaXi4983 said, Hopkins is in what is considered a "good" part of Baltimore.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

01-25-2005 02:51 PM

texas*princess

this is such terrible news

GC Quote of the Moment:"Now get me some milk for the sugar pops, sugar pops." -- angelove

01-25-2005 03:26 PM

JocelynC

My condolences are with her freinds, family, and sisters.

KF -Christian Women's Service Club
~*Initiated 11/7/02*Alpha Lambda chapter*~

01-25-2005 04:12 PM

Glitter650

terrible things happen all over every part of the world, "good" part of town "bad" part of town, "hicksville".

I think a lot of people fool themselves into a false sense of security. SOO sad this happened.

01-25-2005 04:43 PM

chiomega84

actually my best friend goes there and she was telling me all about it last night--

the two crimes are almost certainly unrelated. the last guy died last spring in his fraternity house (SAE). it's actually a really sad story - he didn't even live in the house, but they were having a party that night and one of his brothers who lived there had to take the MCAT's the next morning. he let his brother go to his apartment to sleep in peace and quiet and he just spent the night in the house.. i guess someone forgot to lock the door and a homeless man (they think) came in and stabbed him. he was conscious enough after being stabbed that he got one of his other brothers who called 911, but then he died the next morning.

the girl who died the other day was found in her apartment .... EDITED by moderator... this is an ongoing investigation and rumors/unsubstantiated statements should not be posted here

Last edited by amycat412 on 01-26-2005 at 12:39 AM

01-25-2005 06:49 PM

Jill1228

This is so tragic
My heart goes out to her family, friends and chapter

AF Union Hand in Hand
Good luck to ALL the Spring 2005 PNMs!!

01-25-2005 09:31 PM

polarpi

My thoughts and prayers are with her entire family, friends, and ALL of her Alpha Phi sisters.

Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they're afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just take the rotten apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy...Apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree. Now men...men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the poop out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.

Best of luck to the Spring 2005 PNMs!!!

01-25-2005 09:59 PM

lilsunshine214

My heart goes out to all of her friends, family, and sisters.

KF Club
AL Chapter, Fall 2002
Sisters in Christ! Sisters for life!

-Rudey
Old 01-30-2005, 05:19 PM

I don't really see what this has to do with Risk Management per se, but I also don't see what's wrong with it as posted. However I have no way of knowing what the original moderator chose to edit.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I don't really see what this has to do with Risk Management per se, but I also don't see what's wrong with it as posted. However I have no way of knowing what the original moderator chose to edit.
Let's not delve into why the moderator moved the thread, edited, or deleted things like many times in the past.

As for risk management, I think it deals with risk. In today's environment, many risks transfer over to a fraternity or sorority even if something happens outside of the house. You drink at a bar, hold an off campus party, etc. and it can be a risk for your fraternity/sorority. In this case, it was the President of the sorority who lived off campus. Many fraternities/sororities don't even have homes, etc. Well safety shouldn't be a staple of living in a house I would think.

-Rudey
--Access to information is key to lowering risks and increasing safety these days I would think
Old 01-30-2005, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually she was no longer the President of the chapter.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphigal
Actually she was no longer the President of the chapter.
I don't know about greek life at Hopkins as much - good medicine and government programs though.

Does the chapter have a house?

-Rudey
Old 01-30-2005, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The only sorority chapter housed at Hopkins is Phi Mu.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with DA, it's got nothing to do with Risk Management. It's a crime and being an armchair investigator doesn't help anything.

If I, as a former member of my chapter, was murdered in my house it certainly wouldn't have anything to do Greek Life Risk Management.

Let the sisters mourn in peace.......
Old 01-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I agree with DA, it's got nothing to do with Risk Management. It's a crime and being an armchair investigator doesn't help anything.

If I, as a former member of my chapter, was murdered in my house it certainly wouldn't have anything to do Greek Life Risk Management.

Let the sisters mourn in peace.......
Well that's you, I suppose. It has something to do with risk management. Many Greeks now live off campus and with spreading your members across non-university housing, the risks grow. Regardless, DA "don't see what's wrong with it as posted". And the sisters can mourn in peace. There have been numerous posts on people getting into accidents, dying, etc. and all parties have been able to mourn in peace.

-Rudey
Old 02-09-2005, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

'Brilliant Student' Mourned

A lovely tribute to an amazing woman in the Washington Post.

Updates about campus safety and more tributes to Linda and her amazing life at -
http://webapps.jhu.edu/jhuniverse/today/trinh.cfm

Warmth and Joy of Slain Johns Hopkins Senior Recalled

By Lena H. Sun
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, January 30, 2005; Page C06

After Linda Trinh made her first trip to her parents' native Vietnam last summer, she returned to the United States deeply moved by the children she met at an AIDS hospice. The Johns Hopkins University senior penned them a poem. Don't feel sad about my departure, she told them.

"I thank you for all of your smiles," she wrote.

Yesterday, at the Silver Spring church where Trinh taught Sunday school, a priest recalled her words and said they served as her own farewell to the more than 700 family members, friends and schoolmates who gathered to mourn her a week after her death.

Trinh, 21, was found asphyxiated last Sunday in an apartment building across the street from the university campus in Baltimore. The slaying was the second in the Johns Hopkins community in nine months. Police have made no arrests in the case.

The standing-room-only Mass for Trinh was held at Our Lady of Vietnam Roman Catholic Church, a distinctive yellow concrete structure with a curved, red pagoda-style roof built in a Vietnamese design. Floral wreaths decorated the outside walkway. Two easels displayed large color photographs of her smiling face, surrounded by family and friends. Another color photo sat atop her white coffin.

Trinh's family had fled communist Vietnam, spending a year in refugee camps before arriving in the United States in 1983. Trinh's parents live in Silver Spring. Her father, Quy Trinh, is a machine mechanic, and her mother, Hoan Ngo, is a machine parts worker, a family member said. Her older brother, Quang, is a University of Maryland graduate.

Trinh grew up surrounded by many relatives, said cousin Tung Huynh, 38. He remembered snapping photos of her as a young girl dressed up in the traditional Vietnamese ao dai, a long, flowing tunic. "Now I am preparing the picture books for her funeral," he said.

The service was conducted in English and Vietnamese, with several Vietnamese Catholic hymns sung by a choir. As the plaintive melodies filled the church, many of the older Vietnamese bowed their heads and wept.

More than 100 students, faculty and administrators from Johns Hopkins also attended the Mass, including President William R. Brody.

The Rev. Tam Tranh, who gave the homily in English, described Trinh as a "brilliant student with such a good heart." Her strong desire was to use her talents to help the unfortunate, especially those in Vietnam, he said.

Trinh was a 2001 graduate of Springbrook High School in Silver Spring, where she earned straight A's in the rigorous International Baccalaureate program and lettered in gymnastics and volleyball.

At Johns Hopkins, Trinh studied biomedical engineering. One of her goals, she wrote in her application for her senior engineering project, was to bring better and more affordable health care to cancer and AIDS patients in developing countries.

She was also a former president of her sorority and former member of the university's volleyball team. A devoted daughter who called her parents almost daily, Trinh kept track of her many ambitions on a colorful diagram, a goal map. One of them was to learn to cook Vietnamese food for herself.

In his eulogy, Brody said Trinh had worked in a research lab, devising ways to use digital mammography to bring breast cancer screening to poor women.

"We have all lost a golden glimpse of the future," he said.

Turning toward Trinh's grieving family, Brody spoke of a doctor at Johns Hopkins whose 6-year-old son died of leukemia after many months of struggle. He offered the father's words as a benediction, his voice cracking with emotion:

"May we all find peace in the shared hope that our children who brought us such joy with their short lives are now a host of angels, loving us still, feeling our love for them . . . and knowing that they are safely locked forever in our hearts."

After the 90-minute service, Trinh's brother, his face grim, led the way. Family members supported her father, who sobbed deeply. Her mother held a small golden crucifix.

After the cars drove away, a former volleyball teammate hugged her friends, clutching a miniature volleyball in her arm.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

such sad news, i thought some would want to know of the progress in the case and improvements in campus security at johns hopkins. my thoughts are still with the family and the university as they are continuing to cope with this tragedy.

Full article

Md. Police Arrest Man in Student's Slaying
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 10:08 p.m. ET
By BRIAN WITTE Associated Press Writer

BALTIMORE (AP) -- A suspect was charged Wednesday in the January killing of a Johns Hopkins University student in her off-campus apartment, bringing a measure of relief to the prestigious university where another student was murdered only blocks away nine months earlier.

Authorities said they do not have a motive for the crime, which prompted Johns Hopkins to speed up plans to increase security on campus. That effort began after Christopher Elser, 20, was murdered in April.

Police said the investigation was continuing but that they are not seeking any additional suspects.

Later this month, Hopkins will begin using 32 cameras to monitor the campus and nearby areas.

More information at:
http://webapps.jhu.edu/jhuniverse/today/trinh12.cfm

Students express relief after arrest

Trinh visited Vietnam over the summer, where she studied breast cancer detection and AIDS-related dementia, and wanted to become a medical researcher. She was also a popular student who had been president of her sorority and was known to drag other biomedical engineering students onto the dance floor.

Since Trinh's death, the university has pledged $2 million to improve security. Guards have begun patrolling along Charles Street on foot and in cars, and they are on duty 24 hours a day at the school's apartment buildings.

The university has also installed extra security phones and 32 security cameras, which should be operational this month.

Suspect denies killing student, attorney says
Allen and Trinh knew each other, police said, and he dated one of her sorority sisters.

Last edited by TxAPhi; 03-25-2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Trial Continued in Trinh Murder Case

According to the Johns Hopkins News-Letter,

The trial of the Baltimore man accused of murdering Hopkins senior Linda Trinh suffered its third delay this week, after scheduling conflicts forced a postponement until Sept. 6, according to Baltimore City state's attorney spokesman Joseph Sviatko.

See the rest of the story here.