GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,187
3 members and 1,184 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Anti-hazing Bill Progressing in California Legislature

A new, stricter anti-hazing bill is progressing in the California lagislature. This should be of interest to national, local, and regional fraternities and sororities with chapters in California.

The bill is Senate Bill 1454.

An article about it is in the April 5 '06 Chico Enterprise Record online at

http://www.chicoer.com/news/home/ci_3673261

Some fraternity and sorority officers, advisors, and other interested members, as well as Greek Affairs / Greek Life staff at colleges in California, may want to read the bill and follow its progress. The California legislature's official web site has a section on current bills:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

(Click on "Senate Bills," which brings up a list. click on the bill number, 1454. There's also info on the bill's movement through the legislature, indications of amendments, votes, and so on.)
Old 04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Hazing should be regulated for sure.

But, I am tired of Regulations by Law Makers to infringe more and more on Our rights. It seems never ending and probably will never end.

They usually narrow it towards a specific Group and You know who that usually ends up being!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-05-2006, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

If approved by the Legislature, it would strengthen California's hazing law by moving it from the Education Code to the Penal Code, making the act of hazing illegal for anyone. In hazing incidents resulting in serious injury or death, it would also increase the crime from a misdemeanor to a felony.

As it stands, the law provides a loophole for non-students who commit hazing, explained Sen. Tom Torlakson, D-Antioch, who introduced the bill. This allowed several men connected to Carrington's death to avoid serious consequences, he said.

My guess is that this will be a slam dunk. As defined, it will be hard to argue with the age old saying "the punishment should fit the crime".
Old 04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I tend to agree with what TSteven said (below), but of course I don't know what kinds of twists, turns, and tweaks
the bill may take in the California legislature. As I said in my OP (and as I said a year or so ago in posting about the bill that became law in Florida) I do feel that GLO HQs and regional and local GLO officers / volunteers with responsibilities for California chapters should probably take the opportunity to learn about the bill and its possible implications.

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven]If approved by the Legislature, it would strengthen California's hazing law by moving it from the Education Code to the Penal Code, making the act of hazing illegal for anyone. In hazing incidents resulting in serious injury or death, it would also increase the crime from a misdemeanor to a felony.

As it stands, the law provides a loophole for non-students who commit hazing, explained Sen. Tom Torlakson, D-Antioch, who introduced the bill. This allowed several men connected to Carrington's death to avoid serious consequences, he said.

My guess is that this will be a slam dunk. As defined, it will be hard to argue with the age old saying "the punishment should fit the crime".

Last edited by exlurker; 04-05-2006 at 09:35 PM.