GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,688
0 members and 1,688 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2006, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Pharmacy Greek Letter Organization

Reported in Local Media that a Pharmacy Greek Lettered Organization on the Campus of UMKC, KC, Mo. Hazed thier New Members. It is a Co-Ed. Group and made them wear see through scantily Colothing to a Bowling Alley!

Swell, Using Greek Letters so everyone thinks All Greek Letter Orgs. are like this!

Kool as a Turd In a Punch Bowl! ARRG!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Was it Kappa Psi?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Tried to refind the Article.

But I think it was.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Was it Kappa Psi?
Yes. An article is available at:

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...64/detail.html
Old 03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"'Degrading' would be the word I'd use to describe it," said Nicole Stinner, a first-year pharmacy student at UMKC. "I was thinking, 'I'm standing in a bowling alley, completely humiliated, not exactly sure why I was doing it.'"

"Totally humiliating and degrading," said Sara Andrade, a first-year pharmacy student at UMKC.
Why didn't they walk away then?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

After watching the video....

They claim they don't want the chapter closed and that they want pledging to change.

Um, no you don't....you want revenge. If a member wants a change in the process to membership, there are internal ways to go about that change. Going to the police is their right, I won't argue that. But going to the media won't be helpful in changing the process -- just casting their organization in a negative light.

Granted, I can understand the anger and frustration they must feel. The Zetas were just all over the news in DC about their financial scandal. But I can understand why those particular Zetas blew the whistle moreso than why these girls did.

I am not one for blaming the victim. What was done to those pledges was wrong. But I am in favor of fraternities and sororities handling their own problems without media interference.

The girls had the chance to be brotherly/sisterly even in the face of adversity, but they chose a path of vengeance instead of productivity. No love from me.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

What I find most disturbing/hilarious is that we're talking about grad students here. These aren't 18-19 year old kids, they're 21-25 year old "grown-ups."
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-26-2006, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
What I find most disturbing/hilarious is that we're talking about grad students here. These aren't 18-19 year old kids, they're 21-25 year old "grown-ups."
*Scurrrrrrrrt* (That was the brakes)

Are you serious?

Aww HELL TO THE NAW
Old 03-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
*Scurrrrrrrrt* (That was the brakes)

Are you serious?

Aww HELL TO THE NAW
Aren't most schools of pharmacology graduate programs? I may be mistaken here. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The programs I looked up where there were undergrad admissions were for "pre-pharma" type programs where the applicants would go straight into a Masters/Doctoral program.

I chalk up a lot of the more brutal hazing that goes on out there to the immaturity of the participants. Immaturity in the sense that they do not seem to 'get it' when enough is enough. Due to them, we have some pretty stiff anti-hazing rules sent down from our national organizations.

At any rate, when I see a grad school chapter doing this stuff, it occurs to me that they are probably only trying ot immitate what they think 'real' GLO's do.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-26-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

"At any rate, when I see a grad school chapter doing this stuff, it occurs to me that they are probably only trying ot immitate what they think 'real' GLO's do." ktsnake.

But the problem is they are trying to act Like a "real" GLO?

Then, the trouble is that because of the use of Greek Letters, it reflects on all of Us as Social Greeks.

Adults? Not sure about that being the correct word to use.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp

But the problem is they are trying to act Like a "real" GLO?

Then, the trouble is that because of the use of Greek Letters, it reflects on all of Us as Social Greeks.

Adults? Not sure about that being the correct word to use.
We have some professional GLO's at my school that operate as social ones. They have all-male memberships, mixers with sororities, houses, and open/closed parties. According to the Dean of Students at my school, " walk like a duck..etc, etc"

BTW, The Kappa Psi chapter I know is one of those fraternities that I mentioned above, and they had undergrad members.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Aren't most schools of pharmacology graduate programs? I may be mistaken here. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The programs I looked up where there were undergrad admissions were for "pre-pharma" type programs where the applicants would go straight into a Masters/Doctoral program.

I chalk up a lot of the more brutal hazing that goes on out there to the immaturity of the participants. Immaturity in the sense that they do not seem to 'get it' when enough is enough. Due to them, we have some pretty stiff anti-hazing rules sent down from our national organizations.

At any rate, when I see a grad school chapter doing this stuff, it occurs to me that they are probably only trying ot immitate what they think 'real' GLO's do.
I think there are 5 year undergraduate programs, but I don't know about this situation.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

they're not a real fraternity and never will be

that goes for any chapter that hazes, they might as well wipe their ass with their charter.