GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,499
0 members and 2,499 guests
No Members online

Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at UGA as a transfer?

I am transferring to UGA from Appalachian State in the spring of 2008. I didn't pledge here because I didn't want to pledge a sorority that I liked here that I wouldn't like at UGA..I didn't want to make that commitment just so it would be easier to get into a sorority, basically. Anyways, I've been reading that only sororities that didn't make pledge quota rush in the spring..are there any at UGA that did this?

Also..since I am a transfer student and not an incoming freshman, would it be harder for me to get a bid in the fall? I'll have 53 hours at the end of this semester so credit wise I'll almost be a junior but this is my second year at college..is this going to affect my chances? Is it even worth it?

Thanks guys!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it will be hard to go through recruitment with that amount of hours. Most big SEC schools like to take new freshmen members. Most of the sororities at ASU have chapters at UGA. Did you never consider going through recruitment at ASU?
Are you a freshman or sophmore at ASU now? Sometimes hours don't transfer and you don't find out until you are actually at the new university.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

As of right now, UGA has accepted 40 of my hours. Which are all the hours that I have taken..and all the hours that I am taking now (a total of 16, though it may end up being 13) are transferable as well. I'm a sophomore.

I didn't rush here for a few reasons.
Firstly was that I was more concerned with my grades here than I was rushing. I needed to establish my GPA (which now stands at a 3.81) so that I COULD get accepted to uga..that was my main priority.

Secondly, I am scared to DEATH of transferring INTO a sorority because of the fact that chapters between the two schools are quite different and that isn't really a situation I want to be in..I wanted to pledge when I am in a concrete situation. If I were to rush now, I would be pledging here but wouldn't actually be with this chapter. ASU didn't have fall recruitment last year for freshman, just spring, so and I went through a lot last spring that didn't enable me to take the time to rush.

Last edited by ugamountaineer; 09-30-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thats great that all of your hours are transferring! Do you know anyone at UGA that is in a sorority there now? You never know, you could luck up and get an open bid from one of the sororities when you get there for the spring semester.
My daughter is in a sorority at ASU now and she loves it. They just had bid day yesterday and they did great. I was in a sorority there too, back in the day. Our son is a sophmore there now, too. I hate you are leaving the ASU family!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I love ASU to death but with my health (i have arthritis, mostly via gymnastics) and the major I'm in (journalism..and I'm looking to be involved with ugas magazine major), I want to transfer. The weather here (specifically in winter!) and I don't get along.

Bid day made me jealous that I didn't rush..I know about ten girls in ADPi and I love them to death, as well as a friend or two in Chi Omega and it was so exciting to see all the sororities out and about and giving bids..it made me a bit sad actually and made me want to rush at UGA more than ever!

I know a few girls at UGA...none well enough, though. My roommates sister (they're from Atlanta) is in Phi Mu as a freshman and I know a girl from elementary school whos in one but I'm not sure which..and I haven't spoken to her in AGES. So basically, I have to start from scratch.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I hear the Phi Mu's at Georgia are awesome, so get your roommate's sister to take you around or meet her for lunch or something when you get down there. You never know what might come out of it. Good Luck!

PS. I was an ADPi at ASU
Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

No way!!!! Two of my close friends just got ADPi and they are thrilled!! ADPi was a lotttt of girls top choices this semester! I thought about rushing it here in order to transfer there and considered that as a HUGE possibility but I didn't go through with it!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

there are several alumna of uga on gc, so hopefully they will be able to answer you questions.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You will have to be clear about your year in school, not just your hours. Honestly, it's hard at UGA if you are an upperclassman. Most groups focus on freshman and women who will have years to give to an organization. I think it's easier now than it was when I was there if you are a sophmore but still much harder than a first year student. Just be aware, it may limit you with some groups.

Good luck to you!

p.s. I'm a UGA and ASU grad myself!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugamountaineer View Post
I didn't pledge here because I didn't want to pledge a sorority that I liked here that I wouldn't like at UGA..I didn't want to make that commitment just so it would be easier to get into a sorority, basically.
Just to be clear, just because a member was initiated into one chapter does not make it easier or guarantee her an automatic "in" to the chapter at her transfer school.

Some chapters have policies forbidding transfer sisters from affiliating with their chapter. Others have a specific process to follow -- which usually entails paperwork, paying an affiliation fee, and a EC vote...it depends on the organization.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

To the OP: all you can do is try.

The number of groups doing COB/COR is pretty small and I'm not exactly sure which groups are participating. There are two groups I think are under total but I'm not sure. Both groups have excellent sisterhood and a history of accomplishment on campus. Both took excellent pledge classes this fall and I would wholeheartedly recommend membership to any girl to whom either group offered a bid.

You could also wait until fall and try formal. Some juniors do get bids although they are few in number and usually have friends already in the groups to which they get bids, IME.

And according to GC news, the campus panhellenic has started the expansion process. So it's possible that you could have the opportunity to join a new colony depending on how fast that process goes.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you guys so much for your help. I'm going to try to rush as a junior--and I've looked at the two sororities that some of you have suggested might do spring rush, and they don't look bad at all, but I'm not banking on that. I'm actually not banking on anything. Greek life is something I really want to do, but like some of you said, rushing here and pledging here doesn't guarantee anything at UGA. I know that being a junior and rushing will be hard, but it is something that I am definitely ready to take on. I'm more than ready to shine through to the girls there and show them that accepting me as a junior would be worth it. I understand that rushing as even a perfect freshman is tough...but I'm not getting any false hopes and I'm going in with what I have. If it doesn't work out, at least I know I tried, right?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you should try informal this spring if there are chapters participating. It's win-win, really. You either find a chapter you love that feels the same way about you, or you meet some new people, make some connections, and become acquainted with the process despite not getting or wanting a bid from those chapters.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

great advice violetpretty.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I've decided to, if it's available, go through in the spring. Even if it doesn't work out, I can still get a feel for it and then go through formal rush in the fall. I know why I want to rush and looking back at other peoples posts about rushing as a junior elsewhere, most people suggested knowing why you want to rush and why you think as a junior, you should be considered, and I've already got a good basis on that. I can't stress enough how much all of you have helped me, and I'm definitely looking forward to letting you guys know how it goes when I finally get to UGA...!!!!