GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,287
3 members and 2,284 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 10-23-2001, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
It's not as easy as it sounds. LSU has been home to 21of the 26 current NPC groups. Today there are only 10 - Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi and Zeta Tau Alpha.

When an NPC group looks at a campus, many factors are taken into consideration. One of them is the school's success rate. LSU's is not very good. Panhellenic lost 6 groups in the 80's alone including one of the oldest Alpha Delta Pi chapters. Of the 4 groups that chartered after 1964, none remain on campus today. Another factor is the group's history on campus. Many groups that closed there have bitter memories and will not return. However, the MAJOR FACTOR is housing. A new group would have to build a house that is at least equal to what is already there. Land is a premium and it will be very difficult to find a suitable lot.

If you factor in the general costs of colonization plus a new house, we are talking well over $1 million. IMHO, it would be risky but doable. Many groups are leary about shelling out that kind of money unless the return on investment can be guaranteed. We all know that there really aren't any guarantees. I know that my group isn't going to try any time soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by greek girlie
How many GLOs are at LSU? Why don't more colonize? Just curious because I see a need for more opportunities to join.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2001, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

AOPiRose--
I'm glad you brought that up. I've heard from pretty reliable sources that our (ADPi) chapter at LSU closed in the 80's because some of the other sororities were trying to get rid of the "alpha" chapters (ADPi, AXO, APhi, etc.). There are no "alpha chapters left today. Is there any truth to this that you know of?

Justamom--
My "aunt-in-law" was a DG at LSU in the 50's or 60's and had a great experience!
Old 10-23-2001, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
That's an interesting point aopirose. My school USC-- lost 5 houses between 1987 and 1996 - AGD, AOII, Sigma Kappa, AEPhi and Chi O. Nine remain - ADPi, APhi, DDD, DG, KAT, KKG, PiPhi, Gamma Phi, Alpha Chi. I heard DG had a pledge class this year of 64. And house total is at 206. which made me wonder why a new group doesnt come on, or one of the old groups come back-- when I was there, pledge class quota was 50 and houses topped out at 120.

But looking at the history of the campus-- since the 50's when we had about 21 of the NPC groups there-- Phi Sig Sig(i think), Zeta, KD, Phi Mu, DZ and the 5 I mentioned before who were all (except for SK, they came to SC in 88) on campus prior to 1947-- and more have all closed.

Of the remaining houses, KKG is the newest at 1947 charter.

Anyway, that's my little USC history lesson/rant.

Last edited by amycat412; 10-23-2001 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Quote:
Originally posted by ADPi-EE
AOPiRose--
I'm glad you brought that up. I've heard from pretty reliable sources that our (ADPi) chapter at LSU closed in the 80's because some of the other sororities were trying to get rid of the "alpha" chapters (ADPi, AXO, APhi, etc.). There are no "alpha chapters left today. Is there any truth to this that you know of?

I'm not sure if that's ture. I think I emailed you're hq and was told that the reason you guys left was because of low numbers. But it could have been Alpha Xi Delta that told me that. I remember seeing it in an old Gumbo.

Other Sororites that have been at LSU
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Kappa
I
Old 10-24-2001, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

AOPiRose--

Justamom--
My "aunt-in-law" was a DG at LSU in the 50's or 60's and had a great experience!

AOPiRose-What an interesting observation. What would being an "Alpha" chapter have to do with anything? I don't know much from a historical perspective. I thought I read somewhere that AXO closed around '71 or '72.

I agree with the housing situation. Sorority Row is beautiful and to bring another group to campus would cost a pretty penny. Panhellenic does seem to think they have seen a turn around in interest. Last year they thought rush was huge, this year they said it was the largest in their history. They believe it will be even more difficult to match the majority of the girls next year.

I haven't met too many DG's around here, only the lovely alums who wrote her rec. Everyone says they are or at least were comprised of mainly NO/private school girls. There are tons of NO girls in her pledge class.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You are referring to the "Alpha Syndrome". It was a big coincidence that most of the Alpha chapters closed at about the same time but it still has lasting affects. Alpha Chi Omega (1926-1972) was the first Alpha to close. Our Administrative Assistant was in the chapter when it closed. The other Alphas closed in the 1980's - Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Phi - 1980, Alpha Epsilon Phi - 1984, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Gamma Delta - 1985, and the last Alpha to close was Alpha Xi Delta in 1988.

I cannot say that the other sororities were purposely getting rid of the Alphas. I believe it was dirty rushing tactics that became a self-fulfilling prophecy. "Don't pledge an Alpha they are all closing!" Fewer pledges lead to smaller chapters who had to raise dues to maintain the house. They soon priced themselves out of the market. Many voluntarily surrendered their charters.

However, the whole issue is more complex. The anti-establishment movement of the 60's & 70's and the oil bust of the 80's played a part in the decline of the system. This was all compounded by the fact that Panhellenic didn't necessarily follow the Green Book. There was a man in charge of Greek Affairs and he had his hands full with the fraternities. The sororities were left to their own devices. In the late 80's, this wonderful woman was put in charge and things started to turn around Panhellenically. However, the oil bust had a dramatic effect on the local economy and the school. Quota went from 72 to 45 in less then 2 years. The numbers are picking up again thankfully but unless the university steps up to the plate, it would be hard to add another chapter.

The other sororities that closed at LSU are Phi Sigma Sigma - 1932, Sigma Deta Tau - 1969, Gamma Phi Beta - 1977 and Sigma Kappa - 1993.

OK, kiddies, enough rambling from a person with too much brain sludge.

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPi-EE
AOPiRose--
Old 10-24-2001, 02:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
LOL, the Alpha Syndrome...sounds like a conspiracy! AOPiRose, you know WAY too much stuff
Old 10-24-2001, 09:15 PM

Justamom, I love reading your posts.....your relationship with your daughter sounds a lot like the one I shared with my wonderful, beautiful mom......I lost her in February 2000 and I still miss her and think of her constantly. On the upside, I have a wonderful, beautiful little girl who I aspire to share a similar relationship with. I was joking with my sisters on our Hooties site that I will never be able to be as professional and unbiased as you have been....I will be a psycho when Paige rushes!!!!! Of course, I already think she is the most fabulous thing in the world and that any chapter would drool over her, but then I'M her mom!!!!!

H2oot, what chapter are you in? Are you an undergrad there at LSU now?
Old 10-25-2001, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh ErikaXO that was such a sweet thing to say about your mom and I am so sorry for your loss. I am very close to my mom and would die if I lost her. OK I am about to cry.

K
Old 10-25-2001, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

ErikaXO-Thanks for the kind words. I was angry as heck at some of the things that happened (just ask Carnation), but my daughter is the one who put it into the proper perspective.

I am so sorry about your loss. No one will ever love you like your parents... My entire family(on my Mother's side) is very close.
I have no doubt that you too will have the same relationship with your darling daughter. You learned from a pro-your own Mom.
Old 10-25-2001, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking a happy ending, though

just a mom, at least your story appears to be ending well, yes?
the rest of this information is fascinating...
and alpha conspiracy? my my
mmcat
Old 10-25-2001, 10:01 PM

What an incredible tuition program!!!! There sure isn't anything like that in Ohio, but then Ohio is one of the wealthier states (which is funny because there are some pretty big poor areas!!!) How do the universities afford it? Does Tops actually pay for each student? It's too bad that more big-time corporate sponsors won't step up to the plate and do this kind of thing. If they could find one major corporate sponsor for students for every state, think of the difference it would make. Or even if they did something at the public school level....right now there is over a billion dollars in repairs/etc. needing to be done to the Cleveland Public Schools....if they don't pass their levy, some of these schools will have to close due to code violations and such. What are they going to do?
Old 10-26-2001, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

h2oot, I was wondering if you heard this. In the context of the girls being nervous, my daughter said her Rho Chi told her...

This past rush, at the first meeting, their Rho Chi told them that even if they only got one invitation to Pref, they would be extended a bid. However, next year, because of the expected increase in the number of PNMs, there would be NO GUARANTEE even if they were invited to 3 Pref parties.

I read all the threads refering to bid matching and this just doesn't seem POSSIBLE! My little darling has been known to get things wrong and then later say I didn't hear her correctly. I've asked her about this a couple of times and she has said that although it would be LIKELY, there still would be no guarantee.
For those that don't know, a girl can attend 3 pref parties.

If there was a guarantee this year, that could help explain why so many houses made quota plus. I just don't want to be "down" over a situation that could be so painful for next year's rushees if it isn't true.

mmcat-Still great, they think she should gun for president of the chapter. I think she should gun for "A's"...
Old 10-26-2001, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

hey justamom!

justamom,

OK completely off topic here!

aggieAXO and I are in the AXO website chat room! Pls join us if you see this in time!

Caroline
Old 10-26-2001, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
h2oot, I was wondering if you heard this. In the context of the girls being nervous, my daughter said her Rho Chi told her...

This past rush, at the first meeting, their Rho Chi told them that even if they only got one invitation to Pref, they would be extended a bid. However, next year, because of the expected increase in the number of PNMs, there would be NO GUARANTEE even if they were invited to 3 Pref parties.

I read all the threads refering to bid matching and this just doesn't seem POSSIBLE! My little darling has been known to get things wrong and then later say I didn't hear her correctly. I've asked her about this a couple of times and she has said that although it would be LIKELY, there still would be no guarantee.
For those that don't know, a girl can attend 3 pref parties.

If there was a guarantee this year, that could help explain why so many houses made quota plus. I just don't want to be "down" over a situation that could be so painful for next year's rushees if it isn't true.

mmcat-Still great, they think she should gun for president of the chapter. I think she should gun for "A's"...
There is no guarantee that a girl will receive a bid, even if she does go to three parties. She is guaranteed to be on each chapter's bid list, but this is different. The bid list is every girl who comes to pref, in order of how much the chapter wants her. If I went to three parties, I would be on three lists, but if I am at the very bottom of each one, I may not be extended a bid on bid day.

According to the Greenbook, quota additions can not exceed 5% of quota (rounded up). If quota is 60, each chapter can take 63 at the very most. So here is what could happen:

Rushees A, B, C, and D all pref at only XYZ. This is the only house to which they have been invited, and they all sign pref cards for XYZ.

None of them are in XYZ's top 60, and every girl in the top 60 lists XYZ first on their pref card. Therefore, none of these women are extended a bid from XYZ during computer matching.

These women would then be hand-matched to the sorority if eligible. The sorority can only take three women, though, and there are four of them. The rushees that appear highest on XYZ's bid list will be matched to XYZ, and the fourth one is out of luck.

So there are no guarantees. Hopefully, with more girls rushing, quota would be raised.