GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,428
2 members and 1,426 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like your daughter has a great attitude about recruitment. Can't wait to hear how it turned out for her!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref day: She knew she was incredibly blessed to be attending three parties, especially three that she would love to join. As an OOS girl with no connections, she knew she was in the best possible position. Here is what happened.

Party 1 - Aubie: "I really, really, really liked Aubie. I'm so torn. This group is amazing."

Party 2 - War: This has been a favorite from day 1. Her friend would be in this one. I just knew it would be perfect for her. After this party, I got a text that simply said "I don't know what to do." I told her to call if she could. When I answered the phone, I could hear her voice crack. My calm, laid back daughter was in tears. She had loved War all along but described Prefs as "just okay". Aubie had been slowly sneaking it's way up the list and suddenly changed everything.

We only had 15 minutes to talk before she went to Eagle. I tried to use facts. I read back what she had told me about each group. I reminded her War was one of her favorites all along. I told her that her friend will be in War. They could be sisters. I even tried telling her that she might get to Eagle and love it so much that neither War or Aubie would matter any more. At the end I told her to weigh all of the facts and then follow her heart.

Party 3 - Eagle She liked these girls. They just seemed to like things kind of fancy and frilly. My daughter is a no frills type of girl and I think it intimidated her.

After it was all over, she waited quite a while to rank them. By the time she called, I was ready for a Valium. I just knew she was meant to be a War and wanted to make sure she did not mess that up. When I asked her how she ranked them, she said it does not matter how she ranked them because she will end up where she is meant to end up. I was shamelessly plugging for War.

Later that night, I looked at the spreadsheet of bid data posted and got concerned. The main thing she wanted in a sorority was a group from all over the country. The girls War took last year were predominantly from the South. There were very few non-Southerners. I was not sure how she would fit in.

Last edited by AuburnTiger; 08-19-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2012, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Loving this story and your sense of humor, especially the line about money. Can't wait to hear the ending!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

The next morning, I had to go back to work and could not have my cell phone on me. I had it in my desk and kept checking it discretely every minute or two. Finally, at 10:34, I got a one word and one emoticon text message.

It said

Aubie

Otherwise known as

Kappa Alpha Theta

This is the story of how my daughter learned to follow her heart instead of listen to her mother and how a number 14 can become a number 1 when you remember to treat each day as a new day and keep your options open. She could not possibly be more happy with her bid and I am so proud of how she handled recruitment. My wise daughter never wrote a single group off and found her perfect home in the end. It is everything she wanted in a group and I am glad she trusted the process. I am also glad they saw her as a perfect fit even before she saw them the same way.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta is very lucky to have her!!! Congratulations to you, your daughter, and Kappa Alpha Theta!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Love a happy ending rush story!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Fabulous story and fabulous ending. You raised an independent, self-assured young woman who followed her heart!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome! Yay!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!!! My daughters and I are all Bama grads but know some AU Thetas....awesome girls!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wonderful recruitment story. Congratulations to your daughter who followed her heart.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story! My daughter is a Theta at Auburn and she says it is a wonderful group of girls!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Congrats to your daughter! Sounds like Theta has a wonderful new member!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! Great story. I hope she loves being a Theta!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Your daughter is super mature and I love that she was so level-headed about the whole process. Congrats to her and Theta!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

ANOTHER Theta ending? Awesome!!! Congratulations to your daughter! Thanks for sharing her story with us.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity