GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,210
2 members and 2,208 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII

Old 11-10-2015, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you read the article? Never mind. Racism is made up and those black people should just suck it up and accept their status as an invisible nuisance except when making the university millions of dollars. They should know better than to think that human poop swastikas would be considered actionable by the university.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizdove View Post
Even if you don't agree with everything they've done you don't get to invalidate their experiences because yours aren't the same. They have faced racism and systemic oppression and that's what they're fighting for.
How does my disagreement and believing they are a bunch of entitled brats "invalidate their experiences"? The language of culture warriors is fun stuff.

So here is a list of their demands:

http://www.abc17news.com/blob/view/-...of-demands.pdf

These clowns accosted the President's car in a parade, then had the nerve to issue this list of demands. That is just absurd. If you want to meet with the President of a major university, maybe during the homecoming parade isn't the best time for that. Then demanding that he "admit his white male privilege"? Way to start a helpful dialog. I'd probably quit too. Good luck to the next President.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 11-10-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
They should know better than to think that human poop swastikas would be considered actionable by the university.
Yeah, human poop swastikas.

It would help to have an actual alleged perpetrator for the campus to take action. Does the school need to immediately issue a policy telling students that vandalism and spreading of human feces in non-designated areas (probably both illegal already) is not okay?
Old 11-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Did you read the article? Never mind. Racism is made up and those black people should just suck it up and accept their status as an invisible nuisance except when making the university millions of dollars.
And don't put words in my mouth. I'll happily extend you the same courtesy.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:08 PM

Is there an article someplace that says what all these incidents were? It looks to me like the football team is striking because of the Greek system??
Old 11-10-2015, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Is there an article someplace that says what all these incidents were? It looks to me like the football team is striking because of the Greek system??
http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2...toric-fall-mu/
Here's a little timeline of the things this fall that led up to it
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM

Now I'm even more confused. Is there evidence that the people yelling the racial slurs are students or affiliated with the university? And why would the university have anything to do with Planned Parenthood one way or the other? If you need to go there you go - it's for everyone, not just for students.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Any sort of good will these culture warriors used to have with mainstream America is quickly being expended. These children and their granola-munching communication teachers are quickly becoming the face of the civil rights movement. These classless clowns are going to set back the real civil rights movement by decades with these silly antics.

I find it absurd that these kids think they are standing for something, but can't be bothered to roam beyond the safe confines of their college campuses to take their 'courageous stands.' These people are not coming off as courageous or even victims. They're bullies who haven't even really articulated exactly what it is they want.

The Yale thing, I think has blown up way beyond that single party where a black brother allegedly told a black would-be attendee that she was being turned away because it was a white girls only party--in reality, they were turned away because they were Columbia students and the Yale Police required them to check for Yale IDs before admitting people to the party.
Oh, not THAT Yale incident. Basically a professor sent an email out encouraging what I considered thought and moderation regarding Halloween costumes. The deanery had prepared some guidelines and her response to that has students spitting on her and her husband and calling for their jobs.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now I'm even more confused. Is there evidence that the people yelling the racial slurs are students or affiliated with the university? And why would the university have anything to do with Planned Parenthood one way or the other? If you need to go there you go - it's for everyone, not just for students.
My understanding was that the system president, under pressure from Republican legislators, revoked the hospital access of the one doctor at the university hospital who could perform abortions.

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2...ing-abortions/

ETA mizdove added more of a helpful explanation
Old 11-10-2015, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's not about utilizing planned parenthood - previously, Mizzou nursing and medical students could complete clinicals and rotations at planned parenthood and since the university cut ties with them, they can no longer do so.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Oh, not THAT Yale incident. Basically a professor sent an email out encouraging what I considered thought and moderation regarding Halloween costumes. The deanery had prepared some guidelines and her response to that has students spitting on her and her husband and calling for their jobs.
A staff member sent out an email saying not to do racist costumes. The professor responded that the staff member's request was PC gone amok and racist costumes are cool.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
A staff member sent out an email saying not to do racist costumes. The professor responded that the staff member's request was PC gone amok and racist costumes are cool.
...and student "activists" felt it was okay to insult the faculty members and spit on them.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You mean this email?

https://www.thefire.org/email-from-e...ween-costumes/

That is not remotely what the email talked about. This is exactly what is so goddamn ridiculous about the PC warriors on college campuses. This letter is exactly the sort of academic, honest, open dialog which should be occurring.

Instead though, some jackass students and maybe some adults at this point are trying to get this educator and her husband fired for offering a viewpoint contrary to PC dogma?

This is exactly the sort of thing which makes the PC movement look so goddamn ridiculous.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The Atlantic published a thoughtful piece on the Yale matter.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is a flippant misrepresentation of what was actually written. Whether or not you disagree with the sentiment of the e-mail (and I can see where there are many people who would disagree with what was actually said), this is incorrect.

Her thesis was more or less summed up here:
"And the censure and prohibition [referring to the school administrator's mandate of what is appropriate and what is not] come from above, not from yourselves! Are we all okay with this transfer of power? Have we lost faith in young people’s capacity – in your capacity – to exercise self-censure, through social norming, and also in your capacity to ignore or reject things that trouble you?"

Essentially she was voicing her concerns that a) this was a "top down" demand from the institution, not a grass roots movement among the students themselves, and b) that in doing such, the administration was negating young people's abilities to determine for themselves what was appropriate, as well as have an intelligent discussion within their own community about what was troubling them (on either side of the spectrum).

In addition, she seemed to be trying to start a discourse on the specific holiday, and at what point the "fantasy" element starts to blur into appropriation. From reading this article, I got the impression that this woman would not tolerate, say, blackface, but is trying to grapple with the issue of intent for a costume (for example, mentioning if a student wanted to dress up as a character from a different race, in this case Mulan or Tiana, why do we accept that from children but not from young adults?).

I'm not sure I agree with everything she had to say, but calling for a resignation for this woman and her husband for simply articulating her viewpoint on a matter?