GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,496
0 members and 2,496 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2003, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Angry Speaking of frustrating roomates....

So my roomate is so completely inconsiderate. I'm totally someone that is really easy to live with, clean, and considerate of others. But she's totally not and I can't stand it...and I dont want to be mean but I am just so frustrated that I don't know what to do. My dorm room is split in two by desks in the middle and there's the huge light in the middle of the celing. There's a sink on my side with a light as well. But I have my own lamp because the light in the middle of the room is just so darn bright and when my roomate sleeps at night (she goes to bed at like 8pm ) I have my light on so I can get work done and be considerate of her sleeping..however, she has no lamp on her side and studies on her bed so she doesn't use her desk lamp. She has 8am classes and always turns on the main light in the morning and it always wakes me up. She's really loud and rustles around and turns on her tv and everything. She even leaves the tv on at night really really loud and granted I come in from studying or work at midnight-ish so I can't tell her to turn it down right before she goes to bed, but I'm still so quiet and dont turn on any lights when I come in...I dont know what to do anymore, its really getting to be a burden on me and I dont want to be mean and have to tell her to go buy a friggin lamp, but I have to do something, I just dont know what. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Or been in this position before?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2003, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Some people are simply too rude to change. They should have their own planets. Hopefully, your roomy is not one of these. What have you tried so far? With all of the different things she is doing, I'm not sure where I'd start. Why not tell her you are thinking about buying yourself a new lamp and ask if she'd like yours to study by. I'm sure your sleep is worth the investment.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Just ask her nicely to please quit being so inconsiderate (only don't use that word!).
Old 11-11-2003, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

See if you can get another dorm room assigned to you.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93
See if you can get another dorm room assigned to you.
Yes, I forgot to say that if you talk to her and she still appears not to notice that yes, she does have a roommate to consider when she's stomping about early in the morning, see if you can move. This is a last resort, but I had to do it once and it wasn't that bad. The girl I was living with was psychotically neat and had to have everything just so, except she would allow her friends to come in and sit on my bed and mess everything up. She also hardly ever looked at me and barely spoke to me. So I left. My new dorm was much nicer, and so was my new roommate.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Banned

I say do the same stuff to her. One of my roommates last year thought it'd be great to study with spanish music. Well I thought it'd be great to wake up to hip hop.

-Rudey
--Pretty soon all the music just stopped.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd definitely try to talk to her about your concerns with the situation... I roomed with one of my good friends sophomore year in the dorm, and she often did really inconsiderate things, ie. talk on the phone (she naturally talks loud) while I was sleeping. She'd have the window open when it's 30 degrees outside while we were sleeping and I'd be freezing. I'm a non-confrontational person so I never said anything. However, one day she complained about something I did, and I went off (nicely but firmly) about my complaints about her as a roommate. She never knew I felt that way, and after that, things were better. So maybe if you bring these things to her attention, she'll be more considerate.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, definitely talk to her about it, nicely and non-confrontationally, but firmly all the same...she may not realize stuff bothers you if you've never said anything about it. Don't let it get to you without saying anything until you blow up at her, that won't help anything! Most people don't intentionally set out to drive their roommates nuts, hopefully, and she will hopefully change if you let her know there's the problems. Just talk it out, and ask her too if there's anything you're doing that's bothering her. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2003, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Roommates are such a win-lose situation. Mine is horrible, I sleep at a friends room almost everynight. She is addicted to TV, which I never watch, and it is on full volume while I try to study. Not only that, she helps herself to things like my tweezers and school supplies and even my clothes. I'm not confrontational either, so I just stay quiet, and when absolutely necessary, I'll ask her to please take her loud phone conversation into the hallway (which makes her absolutely flip out.) I have somewhere to move in next semester, but there's a month left of school, and I'm so miserable, I have so much work, and I can't even study in my own room! Not to mention, she had the meanest away message yesterday, something along the lines of she was tired of the drama and bullshit, and that I should stop being such a pussy and realize that the sun doesn't rise and set on my ass... ...Just because I want to study in my room without Married With Children playing in the background? How sad. Don't think I"ll survive the next month. I sympathize with all of you that left posts.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal026
Don't think I"ll survive the next month.
Cardinal,

Do you have any friends that you could stay with for the next month? I ended up living with some of my sisters for a while during my freshman year because I didn't like my roommate. I contributed some money to bills and food, and it worked out pretty well.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2003, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I would talk to her also. I had a probelm with my roommate. Her BF would come stay with us from out of town (which I didn't mind), but they would be having a grand ole' time on the bed right above my head (we had bunk beds). Usually I just left and went to the up stairs neighbor but after a while all I wanted to do was sleep in my own bed. After I mentioned it to her she was very understanding and we made arrangements for them to play and me to sleep in my own bed with out being rudely awoken