GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,058
2 members and 1,056 guests
LarryByday

Old 07-15-2011, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I am a member of the Republican party because my parents were, and because my state doesn't allow independents to vote in primary elections.

The "party line" has been shoved into place by a very vocal minority of the party. Many Republicans don't give a shit about gay marriage, abortion or any of the other hot button issues that the ultraconservative right wing of the party jumps on - or if they do give a shit, they are on the opposing side. They are Republicans because they agree with the fiscal side of what being a Republican has HISTORICALLY meant.

Don't be condescending and "sad" for someone because you think their choice of political party makes them self-hating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
While that certainly could be going on, it could also just be that he grew up in a Republican family and/or naturally aligns with a more fiscally-conservative, smaller government, pro-business point of political view. Republican doesn't necessarily mean religious right or social conservative. As Dr. Phil says, political parties are diverse groups. The existence and activities of the Log Cabin Republicans attest to that. While I agree with the broader point about the implications of stressing how different the OP is from "those gays," there's nothing about being Republican that I find that inherently questionable. I agree with 33girl -- there's something almost condescending about suggesting otherwise.

As for the question he posed, my main concern is still that he's already said too much. If anybody from UNC has checked in on this thread, he's already laid everything out there -- chapters have seen what all he said about himself before meeting him and getting a chance to know him.
What they said
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Don't be condescending and "sad" for someone because you think their choice of political party makes them self-hating.
Oh, I'm not. I see a bit of self-hating in the OP regardless of political leaning. He's obviously trying to set himself apart from other gays and possibly using his membership in the Republican Party as part of that. He resorted to stereotypes of gay men. The gay Republicans I know aren't self-hating, and I don't feel sad for them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat
While that certainly could be going on, it could also just be that he grew up in a Republican family and/or naturally aligns with a more fiscally-conservative, smaller government, pro-business point of political view.
It could be, but if that were the case, he wouldn't have gone on about how he's not like those other gays. It sounds like he may have thrown the Republican thing in there to emphasize how different he is.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Oh, I'm not. I see a bit of self-hating in the OP regardless of political leaning. He's obviously trying to set himself apart from other gays and possibly using his membership in the Republican Party as part of that. He resorted to stereotypes of gay men. The gay Republicans I know aren't self-hating, and I don't feel sad for them at all.
I didn't mean you with that comment, I meant DTD Alum. You more than likely hit the nail right on the head.

I do feel bad for the OP - he is going to get greeted with a chorus of "Poker Face" at every party he walks into.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

The context in which he shared his political affiliation is "I'm not too gay" and "I'm just like you."

Munchkin03 and I weren't saying anything negative about Republicans--I don't like anyone or anything when it comes to politics. We are talking about minorities who feel the need to overstate. He could be Republican for a number of reasons. But, again, this context makes me think his life is consciously and/or subconsciously centered around proving he's different.

ETA: I just saw Munchkin03 and 33girl's posts.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn't mean you with that comment, I meant DTD Alum. You more than likely hit the nail right on the head.

I do feel bad for the OP - he is going to get greeted with a chorus of "Poker Face" at every party he walks into.
So does that mean Lady GaGa has dethroned Cher?
Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Hmm, interesting points but someone being gay and in the republican party shouldn't be surprising or troubling.
DTD Alum was saying something different than what Munchkin and I were saying.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
DTD Alum was saying something different than what Munchkin and I were saying.
What, I can't think that all of you guys brought up interesting points?

But you and M's points were better and more on point.....better?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't it funny that his political tendencies were the hot button on his post?

To the OP, I can't begin to tell you what to do, but I think I would not lie about it but not feel the need to share your whole life story either. There seems to be an abundance of that lately. Maybe it's a side-effect of social media that there's TMI in the world. I would think your sexual status is something your friends need to know about, and nobody else. On the other hand, I don't know if it's just easier to say some version of "hi. I'm gay" on first introduction, so you don't have to come clean at some later point. Then at least you'd know who you were dealing with right out of the shoot.

And I can definitely tell you there are plenty of gay men in fraternities. My spring formal date, for instance. And that was eons ago. And he was out. OK, he CAME out while he was in the house, and to me. And yes, that was a fun conversation.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're terrible, Muriel.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
What, I can't think that all of you guys brought up interesting points?
Of course as long as you know we were saying different things.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone remember when the Heritage Foundation pulled out of CPAC and there was mass hysteria because GOProud was permitted to be a sponsor of the event?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
Anyone remember when the Heritage Foundation pulled out of CPAC and there was mass hysteria because GOProud was permitted to be a sponsor of the event?
I thought that was a rumor started by the social fundies.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/20...f_goproud.html

ETA- It was rumored that Heritage pulled out BECAUSE GOProud was attending.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Stand corrected on that one, but it did cause issues

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-gays-deepens/
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
Stand corrected on that one, but it did cause issues

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-gays-deepens/
Indeed it did. If my memory serves me correctly it was Concerned Women for America that made the huge stink and went on all of the radio talk shows blasting GOProud for wanting to be at CPAC.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And I can definitely tell you there are plenty of gay men in fraternities.
Of course there are. But there can be wide differences on how campus Greek cultures and specific chapters react to it or feel about it. He's asking about the possible reaction at a specific school, and he's asking some specific chapters, or a specific category of chapters.