GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,338
2 members and 2,336 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Amusement Parks

Here, we discuss amusement parks, the rides you like, the rides you don't like, rides that have made you puke (lol) and good and bad experiences you've had.

I've only been to two, so far. Cedar Point and Valley Fair. I love Cedar Point. The Top Thrill Dragster is my favorite ride there, but I hate any rides that spin. I recently got sick on the Whirlwind ride at Cedar Point, I think that's what it's called. I also got sick on the Octopus ride, when I was a kid at Valley Fair. Those are like the only bad experiences I've had. Overall, amusement parks are one of my favorite things to do. I would go everyday if I could...lol

For those who don't know what the Top Thrill Dragster is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aan5PoQt6Co Woohoooooo! Love this ride, it's the best!...

Other favorites include:
The Maverick-Cedar Point
The Millenium Force-Cedar Point
The Magnum-Cedar Point
The Power Tower-Cedar Point
The Raptor-Cedar Point
Wild Thing-Valley Fair
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Here, we discuss amusement parks, the rides you like, the rides you don't like, rides that have made you puke (lol) and good and bad experiences you've had.

I've only been to two, so far. Cedar Point and Valley Fair. I love Cedar Point. The Top Thrill Dragster is my favorite ride there, but I hate any rides that spin. I recently got sick on the Whirlwind ride at Cedar Point, I think that's what it's called. I also got sick on the Octopus ride, when I was a kid at Valley Fair. Those are like the only bad experiences I've had. Overall, amusement parks are one of my favorite things to do. I would go everyday if I could...lol

For those who don't know what the Top Thrill Dragster is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aan5PoQt6Co Woohoooooo! Love this ride, it's the best!...
What holds you in, lap belts?

The worst ride I have ever been on is the Superman ride at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. I had a panic attack after the ride, it was so scary. I didn't feel secure in the seat, because the person next to me was much bigger, and the lap thing didn't feel close to my body. I used to love scary rides, but not anymore!!

Last edited by ree-Xi; 09-08-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I loooooove X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountian, I really needed to sit down after that ride, it was insane!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:08 PM

2 weekends ago I took my family to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL, and last weekend took them to Six Flags over Texas in Arlington. I am predisposed to prefer Great America since I grew up going to that park. Texas had some better rides, but the park was dirty and cramped and lacked the landscape and overall "prettiness" of Great America.

My favorite coasters are:
Batman at Texas
Batman at Great America
Titan at Texas
Raging Bull at Great America
Superman at Great America

The Demon at Great America really needs to be retired. It was THE coaster when I was a kid, but it doesn't stand up to the new cool ones and it bangs around a lot. I also hate the American Eagle because it it very rickety and bangy as a wooden coaster.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM

I haven't been to an amusement park in years. I love 'em and I have no fear. It was a running joke between my husband and me that, if we ever had kids, I'd be the one hitting the roller coasters with our buddies while he shepherded the little ones on the kiddie rides.

The last time I went to an amusement park was in 2000, when my husband's company held a picnic at Lake Compounce. They had just reopened the Lake Plunge after a kid drowned, so of course I had to do the Lake Plunge. FUN. (The kid, btw, should never have been allowed on the ride. He was only six years old, couldn't swim, and wasn't wearing a life jacket.)

One of these days I'll get to Cedar Point. I have friends who go every year and I've heard nothing but good.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Texas had some better rides, but the park was dirty and cramped and lacked the landscape and overall "prettiness" of Great America.
LOL

I always got asked if I went to SFOT all the time (since my alma mater is located in the city). I went in 9th grade, but haven't been back since. That area was bad before, but now that the stadium is there, I refuse to drive to that part of Arlington.

I think Arlington is trying too hard to be a giant theme park.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
What holds you in, lap belts?

The worst ride I have ever been on is the Superman ride at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. I had a panic attack after the ride, it was so scary. I didn't feel secure in the seat, because the person next to me was much bigger, and the lap thing didn't feel close to my body. I used to love scary rides, but not anymore!!
It's not really a lap belt. It's more like a lap bar that holds you in place.

I heard so much about the Superman ride. I really want to try that one. It looks like so much fun.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG Cedar Park and memories.

My husband is from Ohio and during one of our family visits we went to Cedar Park. This man dragged me to every roller coaster ride that existed in the park. He is a fanatic for roller coasters. Thank heavens the Millennium force did not exist.
At the top of the hill, there is a camera that takes pictures of each rider; well he is all happy with arms up screaming, and then there is me, hand clenched to the bar with a constipated face. We did not buy that picture.

When we were done, I thought things couldn’t get any worse. Well we went on the Mean Streak (I think that’s what is called) a wooden roller coaster than moves you around. Guys I wouldn’t go on this ride if you want your lower parts to stay in tack. During the ride I am bopping and upper part is rocking and rolling, then whap, my underwire bra breaks.

Cedar Park reminds me of constipation with a broken bra. I haven’t gone back since.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I love Cedar Point!!!
Top Thrill Dragster is great but I really love The Maverick!! It's my new favorite there!
Even The Raptor (a smaller coaster there) is fun!!

If you get a chance to do a Hall-o-Weekend there definitely do it! I love that!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering I was born and raised in Sandusky, Ohio, and worked at Cedar Point back in the good ol days (when the Magnum was the tallest coaster there)... guess which amusement park is my favorite?
Since we're in SW Ohio now though, we go to Kings Island a lot. They have the best kiddie land there. Well, it WAS the best, but Cedar Fair decided not to renew the contract with Nickleodeon so everything was converted over to the Peanuts theme that CP has. Blah. My daughter does NOT care for the change. Dora and the Backyardigans are better than Snoopy to a kid.
Diamondback at KI... amazing. It's a combo of the Millenium/Maverick at CP, big hill then big air. and the seats are "open air" so you hardly feel like youre strapped onto anything at all.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

If you get a chance to do a Hall-o-Weekend there definitely do it! I love that![/QUOTE]

My hb would love to go back. I will have to tell him about the Hall-o-Weekend. His favorite holiday.

lane swerve/
Last year we went haunted housing in Akron. Not sure what is called but it used to be a school house now closed.
back to amusement parks.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Considering I was born and raised in Sandusky, Ohio, and worked at Cedar Point back in the good ol days (when the Magnum was the tallest coaster there)... guess which amusement park is my favorite?
Since we're in SW Ohio now though, we go to Kings Island a lot. They have the best kiddie land there. Well, it WAS the best, but Cedar Fair decided not to renew the contract with Nickleodeon so everything was converted over to the Peanuts theme that CP has. Blah. My daughter does NOT care for the change. Dora and the Backyardigans are better than Snoopy to a kid.
Diamondback at KI... amazing. It's a combo of the Millenium/Maverick at CP, big hill then big air. and the seats are "open air" so you hardly feel like youre strapped onto anything at all.
We always got season passes for Kings Island in high school and college. I'm not actually that into rides -- terrified of heights, but I can generally handle regular rollercoasters (the Beast, Vortex, the newish one that swings back and forth and rotates, etc.) You couldn't get me on Power Tower or Son of Beast for all the money in the world, though.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM

I practically lived at Six Flags Magic Mountain and Cedar Point during summers.

I remember when Six Flags first opened the Batman and Joker rides. Those were my favorite for a long time.

When we came home after summer (from CA) Cedar Point was always our first trip. My all-time fave rides are CP rides: Top Thrill. Magnum. Millenuim Force.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-08-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Son of Beast is indefinately closed! Too many injuries on it. We rode it last spring a few weeks before they closed it, and it hurt. Not fun at all! They'll tear it down and replace it someday.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been to Six Flags Astroworld, Six Flags Over Texas, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake, Six Flags Great America, all of the Disneyworld parks (do they count?) and Cedar Point. Plus all of their waterparks.

There is no competition; Cedar Point makes the rest of them look like kiddie land. Not only do they have the most rides, but they're the best. Top Thrill=awesome. Millenium Force=pure bliss. I could go on and on about "America's Roller Coast." Definitely go for Hall-O-Weekends if you ever get the chance.

Fiance and I have set Hershey Park in our sights for our next visit, so we'll see how it stacks up.