GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,495
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, jacksonfrances2
» Online Users: 1,511
0 members and 1,511 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Support of Nationals and Training of future leaders

Can anyone share with me what their organizations do to help support chapters when they are transitioning to new officers for the new year? Besides having a binder handed to you and being told "here you go" are there any conferences or small focus leadership group meetings that teach and guide you on how to handle discipline issues between sisters (I am not talking about Honor Boards, etc, but sister to sister "call outs") Or how to handle the very difficult situation of having to bring other sisters up on standards when rules are violated. I just feel that sorority leadership is very different than "typical" leadership because sisterhood is such an equalizer that friendships and social circles are disrupted when discipline issues arise.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Many organizations have put together a suggested officer transition process. Now, how well (and how its more than a binder pass) is really up to the officers, as well as the chapter and national advisors. Many groups use national and regional events as trainings opportunities. The standards position is often tricky, and I would be sure to pull in your advisor (local), and if needed pull in other resources, such as campus and national resources as needed.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely agree, Wavy. Most NPC groups do this very well with loads of literature, state or regional events for training, your national Conventions, etc. Advisers are a great resource and should be at all officer transitions and trainings. And most have a process for bringing someone to standards/honor board such as a form to fill out, a hearing, etc. It's very important to stick to the format from a legal and liability standpoint. As for "sister to sister callouts", they should be handled, IMHO, by the president on an individual basis or by calling them both to standards/honor board and trying to mediate there.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok. So this sheds a bit of light on what I felt. As a chapter we are dealing with a situation that has now involved our Nationals; yet, we feel saddened by the fact that they never seemed interested in providing the tools to handle these types of situations and we are left trying to figure it out and are being held accountable for not doing it right when there was no "right way" taught. I 100% hate the "I didn't know defense" but the fact is if protocols are never taught, and are not easily accessed, it is certainly frustrating.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Double posted because our internet is crappy...lol.

Last edited by upinarms; 05-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if your regional/province/local people are not stepping up to the plate, then contact your HQ staff person or Council person in charge of collegians and/or standards/honor board. Explain to them the situation and ask for training and assistance. I am sure they will assist you - but they won't do the work for you. You'll have to do it yourself with their guidance.