GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,525
1 members and 2,524 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaEtaKP
I am glad that 1.) Our recruitment is in the Winter.. so that eliminates the whole halter/strapless thing and 2.) Our recruitment is VERY informal (compared to what you all are saying) The first two days, jeans and a sweater (sometimes sweatshirt the first day...depending) is appropriate, and the third day, the reccommend khakis, and for Pref night, most girls just wear black pants and a nicer shirt.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

sucker4yu, preferentials is a solemn, serious party and the dress you described might not be appropriate for that night. your description makes it sound on the "clubby"side, and at most schools on that night, most pnms will go with a more classic look. as others have advised, try to steer clear of a black dress on pref night, because many of the chapters wear black on that night. think the classic little black dress, but in another color than black.

if you don't feel that dresses do you justice, you might be able to find a dressy blouse or top and a dressy skirt(something that looks like a nice satin or silk fabric, or a nice georgette), in a color other than black. check out a petite shop or the petite section of a department store. i feel for you. my daughter has the same problem finding clothes.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I have talked to a couple girls in houses at my school, and they said to wear a black dress...so I guess I'll just have to find something a little more appropriate. I think I've found my 2nd round dress though!!
Old 07-12-2005, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.rampage.com/items.asp?deptid=24&itemid=7851

Would something like this work for prefs?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

In general I wouldn't recommend Rampage... most of their stuff isn't too classy.

That dress IS cute, but it's REALLY low cut in the picture. That's a lot of skin.

And the the crinoline lining might bug the heck out of you, especially in hot stuffy climate. I have a dress with a similar sort of skirt that I love, but I won't wear it when it's hot out.

I would go more classy than trendy.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I would agree not to wear black as a PNM for the reasons already mentioned. Most of the chapters wear black for Prefs and you definitely won't stand out in the least.

I couldn't tell real well from the picture of the dress, but it looks like it might be a bit low cut.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

another vote against black. Even if a lot of PNMs wear black, if you wear a different color you'll stand out more. Just stay away from lime green

And another thing... you should try to pick out a dress in person. You have no idea how something will fit you. That dress could be misleading in the picture and not be all that low cut, or it could be down to your belly button.

Plus you want to be comfortable in it
Old 07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick question - I'm rushing in the fall and I got a dress for our second invite, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on shoes. The dress is a pretty green with white floral pattern and I was thinking of wearing a nice pair of white high heel sandals I have. My mom was saying I shouldn't wear the white shoes in September, but I was wondering how much that would actually matter? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

that kinda depends, where in the country do you live? when in september? what school?

there's no cut and dry answers for anything, there's so many influencing factors
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in the midwest and Rush is the first 2 weeks of September.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiJuice08
Quick question - I'm rushing in the fall and I got a dress for our second invite, and I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on shoes. The dress is a pretty green with white floral pattern and I was thinking of wearing a nice pair of white high heel sandals I have. My mom was saying I shouldn't wear the white shoes in September, but I was wondering how much that would actually matter? Thanks!
You'll be fine. If you get cut, tell them to kiss your ass. This white after labor debate is like the most inane thing. I can see why wearing white in January when it's 20 below is weird, but in September?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha yea that's what I was thinking too. I don't think it will be a problem, but I thought I'd ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
You'll be fine. If you get cut, tell them to kiss your ass. This white after labor debate is like the most inane thing. I can see why wearing white in January when it's 20 below is weird, but in September?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

One rule of thumb that I typically go by: better to be over dressed than under-dressed

It really does not sound shallow but you want a woman who can put herself together and look classy, attractive, and elegant to represent your chapter. As a PNM, that the look to go for. BUT be comfortable and confident in your outfit, that can make a big difference. Having to adjust your outfit or looking like its not something you normally wear (IE not your style) will make a bigger impressions than what you are wearing.,,,

And NO SHorts!!! Capris maybe if they are super dressy but a skirt is the best bet. PNM typically will be on a chair so the whole sitting on the floor thing may not apply

From another MIdwesterner: You can wear white relax and good luck
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KiwiJuice08
I live in the midwest and Rush is the first 2 weeks of September.
eh, not knowing the school (i can understand not wanting to say what school), it's hard to say. If it's a bigger, more competitive rush, I would say no, because a lot of people still believe in that rule. It's generally still pretty warm in early September in the midwest, so temperature wise you should be good.

But the best advice for shoes is to have COMFORTABLE ones that you can walk in! High heel sandals may not be the best for that. It's possible- i have a pair of black strappy sandals that are super comfy, but those are a rarity.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doves95
And NO SHorts!!! Capris maybe if they are super dressy but a skirt is the best bet. PNM typically will be on a chair so the whole sitting on the floor thing may not apply

Sometimes they're supposed to wear shorts.

Heck, shorts are safer for sitting in a chair, less chance of exposing your undies.

Capris on the first day are two are fine.

BUT, everything depends on the school. Follow the guidelines they give you, maybe go a little dressier than what they suggest.