GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,466
2 members and 2,464 guests
JayhawkAOII, Titchou

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM

I just looked at Barbie's competitive rush schools thread. I didn't realize there were only EIGHT chapters at Arkansas. Holy crap. Yes it's a little smaller than some of the other competitive schools but still, holy crap.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That's what I'm saying. They could be AT LEAST a 15 chapter school. Now where are the money fairies who can make this happen?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Plus, with strong DG chapters at schools close by (like Ole Miss, Mizzou) this seems like a good fit.
Does Arkansas get fewer students from out of state than other SEC schools? I am surprised that DG and Phi Mu closed given the stature of those groups in Louisiana and Mississippi. I would have imagined that, at a minimum, they could have found a niche with girls from those states.
________
VAPORIZER WIKI

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The cost for housing is a HUGE consideration in all of this. Two of the original sororities at my university returned to campus in the last few years. The university owns the housing and pays for the shell but each group pays for the finish out. They had to make tough decisions regarding space and furnishings because the new houses cost so much more than the originals. On a campus where you must buy a lot and build and furnish a house in this economy, you have a challenge, even with generous alums standing by.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
That's what I'm saying. They could be AT LEAST a 15 chapter school. Now where are the money fairies who can make this happen?
It's not just the money fairies, it's the perception fairies who control the brains of the girls choosing chapters. If you could control those the money fairies wouldn't be as big of an issue.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
And Theta too!
Not to pick on anyone, but the word on the street is that this wouldn't work out just yet. The little old ladies in Fayetteville make sure that old memories never die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Does Arkansas get fewer students from out of state than other SEC schools? I am surprised that DG and Phi Mu closed given the stature of those groups in Louisiana and Mississippi. I would have imagined that, at a minimum, they could have found a niche with girls from those states.
Arkansas is chock-full of out-of-staters. They have some program which gives in-state tuition to border state students with certain SAT/ACT scores. This was done to pull up the scholastic standing of the school when they joined the SEC. I would say half of AOII's chapter is from Texas.

Yes, I think that the closures despite the national rep of Theta and the local rep of Phi Mu and DG has scared off some potential new groups.

Chi Omega Psi (Founding Chaper) 1895
Zeta Tau Alpha Epsilon 1903-1938/1947
Pi Beta Phi Arkansas Alpha 1909
Delta Delta Delta Delta Iota 1913
Phi Mu Alpha Beta 1923-1933/1978-1995
Kappa Kappa Gamma Gamma Nu 1925
Delta Gamma Alpha Omega 1930-1992
Alpha Delta Pi Delta Delta 1957
Alpha Chi Omega Delta Rho 1961-1977
Kappa Alpha Theta Delta Nu 1966-1989

Kappa Delta Zeta Gamma 1989
Alpha Omicron Pi Xi Omicron 2007
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the big push from out of staters is what is driving up the recruitment numbers. Texas girls are a big population in all of the houses with Missouri and Oklahoma not too far behind. Arkansas is on a crusade to grow the student population and there are all sorts of financial incentives to accomplish that.

I agree that Theta will not be able to return. Too many bad vibes. I seriously think the only viable group to return is DG. They were there for a long time.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Are all 8 chapters meeting quota each year? It is my understanding that no one will colonize on campus until that happens. I rushed there my freshman year and transferred after and affliated at a different university; however, I was under the impression that nothing was going to improve quota-wise until every chapter was filled.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 PM

There is one chapter that does not make quota and usually is well under. That will not affect a colonization because Panhellanic can't force a PNM to pledge that group. AOII came on and hasn't really affected the recruitment outcomes of that other group one way or another.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as Texas has the "top 10% rule" at state universities, you will continue to see lots of Texas girls in Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc. They can be really sharp but from big high school and not get at a big Texas school. We've seen lots of girls going to Alabama and Auburn, too.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I would argue that, along with Arkansas, LSU is another SEC school that could very much benefit from a new chapter, but the financial ramifications of colonizing here are pretty staggering.

The campus was open for colonization a few years ago, and from what I understand, no one colonized because it was just too expensive. We have some empty houses on the Row, but the renovation costs are astounding because of deterioration and damage done to some of these spaces.

And there were some fantastic groups who are dormant on this campus that could be vibrant and strong if they could manage the resources battle stereotypes/gossip/being the "new kid."
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Now the housing problem... that IS a problem. But I've also wondered if it wouldn't work for 3 chapters to colonize at the same time so that they could all build together, even if off Greek row somewhere. That wouldn't be an option for Normal U, but for the SEC-style schools, I think they could easily accommodate that kind of increase in chapters. What do you think? Am I completely off base? Be nice if I am ;}
Interesting idea : ) I'm a Virginia Tech graduate and when I was there only several of the sororities had actual houses. The University set aside a piece of land for "sorority row" where they built dorm style housing and all the sororities are there now. I would have LOVED to have had the opportunity to live in something like that with my sisters!

On another housing note, my daughter just rushed at Alabama and there were over 1600 girls going through and 15 sororities. Some pledge classes were as high as 115!

I'm looking forward to hearing about South Carolina's recruitment - I have a special PNM rushing there!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

At VA Tech the sororities have no equity interest in the houses. They are considered VT dorms and the residents pay rent to the U. So, if a group should leave campus, there is no problem with a mortgage.

Additionally, building on university land gives you an added benefit at a bank as the land lease with the U normally provides for a buy back of the "improvements" should the group leave campus. You don't get that when building on private land.

Also, some schools are very generous in their dealings with Greeks. Some are constrained by state law, such as Florida, and cannot give any assistance to those building on U land...not so at Alabama where the U can loan the group bond money at 4-1/2% plus they are on U land. It's not a level playing field out there for Greek housing. So, while you may think a school is ripe for colonization, it may not really be the case.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
If anyone is interested ... its overcast this morning in Tucson for the start of recruitment at UofArizona. Over 1000 PNMs registered and ready to go. Hope it doesn't rain on them .. althought this is our rainy season.

Bear Down!!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

TCU first day of Panhellenic recruitment started today...apparently a record-breaking 700+ freshman girls are registered for this week. That's a pretty significant number when the freshman class is probably around 1,500. I'm always so curious to see where the incoming girls I know will land...wishing them all a successful and fun recruitment!