GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,447
2 members and 2,445 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

alabama recruitment

I have a question for those who are familiar with Bama. D has her rec writers
ready to go with resume, contact info, and picture. Her official transcript won't be ready till mid June and we don't want to wait that late to send recs to the houses. Would it be appropriate for D to send transcripts to all the houses herself? Or will the sororities get a copy of the her her transcript form the University?
D has a 4.25 so she doesn't want any chance of a grade cut from lack of information.
Greekchat has been VERY helpful, D wouldn't be nearly as prepared without this forum.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamama14 View Post
I have a question for those who are familiar with Bama. D has her rec writers
ready to go with resume, contact info, and picture. Her official transcript won't be ready till mid June and we don't want to wait that late to send recs to the houses. Would it be appropriate for D to send transcripts to all the houses herself? Or will the sororities get a copy of the her her transcript form the University?
D has a 4.25 so she doesn't want any chance of a grade cut from lack of information.
Greekchat has been VERY helpful, D wouldn't be nearly as prepared without this forum.
Why isn't "D" here asking the questions? (For the record, reading "D" or "S" instead of "daughter" or "son" is like nails to a chalkboard to me. I know that they use it on other forums, but egad!!)

What is the deadline for receiving recs? Does it specify that the transcripts have to be official (meaning it comes from the school, not the student)?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
For the record, reading "D" or "S" instead of "daughter" or "son" is like nails to a chalkboard to me. I know that they use it on other forums, but egad!!
Amen!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

D is not on here today because she is in class until next week. She was wanting to talk to her rec writers over the long weekend and not wait until after graduation to do so.
I guess the question should be directed to the Greek life office at UA. I didn't think about the transcript needing to be an official one. Thanks for thinking of that.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

check your pm's.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking in general terms - and readily admitting I am not familiar with Alabama's recruitment, I have seen pnms send in transcripts with recs and it is no big deal either way.

Most, if not all, schools verify transcript GPA info for recruitment and send that info to the houses. But, it would certainly be fine to include an unofficial transcript with your resume and other info.

But, always be sure to verify this info with your specific school. (Like you are doing!)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Some sororities require official transcripts and some do not. I would rather see the entire package come together - it's too likely that the official will not get matched to the correct package when it arrives.

I would ask the alumna who is writing the rec. After all, THEY, and not you, will be sending the rec to the chapter. You can furnish the alum a stamped, addressed envelope...you can inquire if they sent off the forms...but it's downright tacky to get the rec from the alum and send it yourself.

I would certainly go ahead and give your sorority contacts resumes, pictures, and copies of the unofficial transcript (because it sounds like grades will not be a problem for your daughter!). Let them know you'll get them copies of the official transcript as soon as you have it.

Of course, you may be doing the contacting, but have daughter take them her info, write thank yous etc.

Much good luck to your daughter! Roll Tide!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Several of my daughter's recs came from teachers/coaches at her school and they all gave them directly to her, so she mailed them to the sororities. Some teachers offered even before she had a chance to give them SASEs, and some gave them back to her to mail anyway. So, if they hand them back to your daughter they probably just want her to see all the wonderful things they wrote about her! Also, a family friend handed it back to look at before it was sent. So, if they hand them back to you, they want you to see it yourself or they want to make sure it gets to the right place. Just smile and say, "Thank you!"