GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,288
3 members and 1,285 guests
Titchou

Old 10-07-2014, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity or Sorority in Europe?

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there are any Fraternities or Sororities in Europe?
I am currently at an university in Germany and would like to join a Fraternity. There are "Fraternities" in Germany but they are mostly Catholic/conservative or kind of "nationalistic". (I don't want to be part of those)
Are there any international Fraternities? If this is the case, is there a possibility to found a chapter on my campus?

Trèves
Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Several European countries have sororities and fraternities.
I haven't heard of any international ones though, they all operate as locals.
Some US-founded fraternities have ties with Germany's student groups, and some have Alumni chapters in Germany.

Tau Kappa Epsilon has a program that works with the Weinheimer Senioren-Convent. That has over 60 groups, is there one on your campus? Is it an option for you to join a Studentenverein instead of a fraternity? I think I can guess which university you're attending and from a glance at the student organizations page it seems like there are a few groups currently at your university.

Last edited by Tulip86; 10-07-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I have seen those "Studentenvereine" in my city already.
They are all strictly Catholic or are practicing the "Mensur" (traditional fencing without protective clothing).
I visited several Catholic Studentenvereine throughout the last year but I can't share the conservative ideology of those.
I was looking for a non political/religious/ideology fraternity which doesn't seem to exist in Germany.

PS:
The Weinheimer Senioren-Convent has a group on my campus but they are paracticing the "Mensur" like I stated above.

Last edited by Trèves; 10-07-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some NPHC chapters in Europe.

There are no NPC chapters in Europe of which I am aware.

There are some non-NPHC NIC fraternities who have chartered chapters (or at least started colonies) outside of North America. I do not know if any of them have chapters in Germany or even Europe. There are way too many of those groups for me to have any hope of keeping track of what they're up to.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I seem to recall that Zeta Beta Tau had started a couple colonies at schools in England, which doesn't help OP much but does answer whether there's non-NPHC NIC fraternities in Europe.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I seem to recall that Zeta Beta Tau had started a couple colonies at schools in England, which doesn't help OP much but does answer whether there's non-NPHC NIC fraternities in Europe.
I could swear I saw something about this on GC recently but I couldn't find the posts.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

There is Sigma Thêta Pi fraternity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma_Th%C3%AAta_Pi which was founded in France and has chapters in both France and Quebec. There is also Zeta Lambda Zeta sorority. http://www.zetalambdazeta.org/ which has chapters in France and Quebec.

I think that most of the NPHC fraternities had chapters in Germany as well as other countries with large US Cold War military bases. Not sure on the sororities.

I know AEPi started chapters in Israel...
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trèves View Post
practicing the "Mensur" (traditional fencing without protective clothing).
This sounds like Fencing Fight Club.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Dekeguy also posted about DKE colonizing some chapters in the UK.

Found it:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=142275

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 10-07-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Thank you for all the answers over night. Its nice to see that the Fraternities are expanding to the UK and Scotland.
Maybe I am going to Warwick for my MBA?
Sigma Thêta Pi and Zeta Lambda Zeta even have two chapters located in Belgium but they are french only.

@33girl
It is like a fencing fight club. Members have to practice and fight on a regular basis. There is a chance to get hit in the face or neck (They use real sabers).
Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Never knew, that many fraternities had chapters and connections in Europe. That's great. I recall hearing about one in London. Didn't one of their members post on here a while ago?

Quote:

@33girl
It is like a fencing fight club. In some Germany groups members have to practice and some of them fight on a regular basis. There is a chance to get hit in the face or neck (They use real sabers but wear protective gear).
Fixed your post.

Maybe you can start up something like a fraternity or a social group at your university? Are there more people who don't want to join the more traditional groups but are looking for more than the debate/environmental/political groups your university offers?

Is there a lack of more modern groups because there is too little interest of is this something that would thrive at your university?

Last edited by Tulip86; 10-08-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

There is definitely a lack of modern groups at my university (but not a lack of interest).
I went to a bar that night with some friends and told them of US fraternities. Everyone agreed that it would be a great idea to found a new fraternity/social group at my university.
The problem is, that i dont know HOW to found such a group. Are there any websites, that could help me with this?
Is it a good idea to found a greek letter fraternity in germany or should i start off with a club/group?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there are any Fraternities or Sororities in Europe?
I am currently at an university in Germany and would like to join a Fraternity. There are "Fraternities" in Germany but they are mostly Catholic/conservative or kind of "nationalistic". (I don't want to be part of those)
Are there any international Fraternities? If this is the case, is there a possibility to found a chapter on my campus?

Trèves
What about Masonic organizations? They are somewhat similar.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

You might want to contact the headquarters of one of the fraternities mentioned above that has already started colonies in the UK.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

You could start a club/group first, that way you know for sure there is interest that sticks, and there are people willing to do the work. Some friends of mine have started a fraternity and a sorority in the Netherlands (I currently study in the Netherlands). Since all groups here are unhoused, local and small it's fairly easy to start one rules-wise, I have a feeling your university might be similar in that way. It just takes time and effort.

I agree with Sciencewoman, maybe contact one of the American fraternities already in Europe to see if they have and interest in a German chapter.

Just make sure you contact someone from the student activities office at the university to make sure you stick to their rules, being able to use university locations and being endorsed on their website helps a lot.