GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,548
1 members and 2,547 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2006, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Going Greek Rates At Different Campuses

Here is some going greek rates at different campuses:

San Diego State University:
* Percent of men who join fraternities: 10%
* Percent of women who join sororities: 8%

UC Berkeley:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 10%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 10%

UPenn:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 24%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 18%

University of Texas at Austin:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 9%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 13%

UCLA:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 14%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 11%

Arizona State University:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 6%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 6%

University of Alabama:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 21%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 27%

University of Florida:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 15%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 15%

Florida State University:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 14%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 14%

San Francisco State University:
* Percent of men who join fraternities: 1%
* Percent of women who join sororities: 1%

Cornell:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 28%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 22%

Duke
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 29%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 42%

Auburn:
# Percent of men who join fraternities: 20%
# Percent of women who join sororities: 32%

What do you think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2006, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Akkus what Frat are you in?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Akkus, seriously, what is the point of your thread? Was there a real question involved? If anyone wanted to know these statistics they could look them up. And you don't even bother to post the source of your statistics.

It's cool if you came to Greekchat to learn about fraternities and greek life. It's not cool for you to post all kinds of negative stuff, ask questions repeatedly that you could have done a search on or that or just offensive from the get go, then complain about being attacked. It's to the point where most people even doubt that you're legit.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Actually, I was going to ask about UF vs. FSU NPC. I noticed that the FSU houses are larger than the UF- so I was curious about the proportions or if simply FSU had more students living in the house as compared to other living arrangements.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-14-2006, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
Actually, I was going to ask about UF vs. FSU NPC. I noticed that the FSU houses are larger than the UF- so I was curious about the proportions or if simply FSU had more students living in the house as compared to other living arrangements.
Maybe you can rephrase that, because I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm reading Scandia's post as she was wondering about #'s at UF and FSU because the houses themselves at FSU are physically larger then the houses at UF, and she was wondering if at UF, less members live in the house as opposed to FSU.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani
Akkus, seriously, what is the point of your thread? Was there a real question involved? If anyone wanted to know these statistics they could look them up. And you don't even bother to post the source of your statistics.

It's cool if you came to Greekchat to learn about fraternities and greek life. It's not cool for you to post all kinds of negative stuff, ask questions repeatedly that you could have done a search on or that or just offensive from the get go, then complain about being attacked. It's to the point where most people even doubt that you're legit.

Point of my thread is that in some schools' greek percentages are much lower than I expected and I thought people could discuss why greeks don't have higher percentages at most schools. Also I was wondering if recruitment is tougher or easier at schools with higher percentages? A lot of discussion can be made from some statistics.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Akkus:

I say this as constructive criticism. For the love of all that is holy, CALM DOWN. If you go into rush discussing things like the percentage of people that go Greek, the guys will run away from you faster than Lindsay Lohan from a sandwich.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus
Point of my thread is that in some schools' greek percentages are much lower than I expected and I thought people could discuss why greeks don't have higher percentages at most schools. Also I was wondering if recruitment is tougher or easier at schools with higher percentages? A lot of discussion can be made from some statistics.

I don't think percentages have anything to do with it. If you go to any good SEC like Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, etc. recruitment is very tough and selective. Same can be said for places like Texas, SMU, TCU. Percentages fluctuate obvioulsy because of size of school and location. In the South, Greek Life is put on a very high pedastol.....so you are going to see high rates........Texas' percentages can be misleading because we have 51000 students and obviously it is going to be lower.....for one, the cost of living is insane in Austin......and dues and cost of living in the houses are very high, both of which contribute to cutting down on numbers.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

KDDani- I mean what Alpha Frog said it is. I am curious as to why the mansions/residences/dwellings in FSU for the NPC sororities are physically larger and can house more people than the ones at UF.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani

LOL! My thoughts exactly.

If Akkus felt the need to provide stats, he/she should've said "here's an FYI for those who care" as opposed to "what do you think?" Think about what?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus

You've finally taken the lead and sparked some discussion.

Not a particularly interesting discussion, in my opinion, but at least you were going somewhere with this thread.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
KDDani- I mean what Alpha Frog said it is. I am curious as to why the mansions/residences/dwellings in FSU for the NPC sororities are physically larger and can house more people than the ones at UF.

Maybe because FSU was a women's school (until ~1950?), and the NPC sororities colonized there first. UF was all male.

Or, maybe it's just a matter of local government & different zoning laws.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe because FSU was a women's school (until ~1950?), and the NPC sororities colonized there first. UF was all male.
That makes sense. I did know that FSU was all-female and UF all-male for a while. I know that many NPC sororities first colonized UF around 1949.

Don't really remember the zoning laws for Gainesville, and I've never lived in Tallahassee. I was just curious as to why a residence for a certain sorority was almost twice as big in FSU than what it was at UF.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

They may just have had more money, or more members at the time the houses were built, and therefore the FSU houses are larger.

At UCF, the houses appear large, but house less than 1/3 of their members. At other schools, there are more beds than members, in some cases. I think it just depends on the needs and funds available at the time the houses are built, renovated, etc.