GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,215
1 members and 2,214 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=Zillini;1859881]Everybody plans on bringing up their GPA. Not everybody does.

I will bring my GPA and I making sure I work extra hard to get that GPA up so I can go through formal recruitment for the winter quarter.I don't need assumptions from people who know nothing about me and my low GPA.If people on this forum want to throw "mud" at me,then that will get you nowhere and you will end up making yourself look bad.Let's see how you feel then.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm84 View Post
I will bring my GPA and I making sure I work extra hard to get that GPA up so I can go through formal recruitment for the winter quarter.I don't need assumptions from people who know nothing about me and my low GPA.If people on this forum want to throw "mud" at me,then that will get you nowhere and you will end up making yourself look bad.Let's see how you feel then.
I really don't think anyone's "throwing mud" at you.

Bottom line, if your GPA does not meet the lowest standard of the individual chapters you will be cut. The chapters don't even have a choice in this matter. I could love Susie PNM and wish my parents had adopted her as a child so we would have been sisters forever but if she doesn't make that minimum GPA, there's not a darned thing I can do to change that and bid her. We don't know if that's what happened, but at this point it would be our best guess.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm not looking for sympathy on this forum.I am new to my college campus and I really haven't had a chance to see what other organizations are on the campus besides sororities.This is the kind of reaction that I was afraid that would happen.If you walked in my shoes,you would not be saying those mean,hurtful things to me.My disability is difficult enough trying to navigate my everyday life but if there are girls in sororities that act like this,then I don't want to be part of a system that will not accept people like myself because we are "different". I am slower in learning and my GPA is low because the college I transferred from,I didn't finish a class and that lowered my grade quite a bit.Before anyone goes judging people who are different like myself,trying being in my shoes for a day and you'll see how difficult it is to be social and find friends.I have had this problem my entire life and I am getting sick and tired of people telling to take a different avenue to improve my social skills.If you have a problem with me being "different",then that attitude needs to change.I will not be bullied by people who think that they have the right to tell me what else I can do to improve my social skills.That is what my parents are for and they are a lot less judgmental than you are.
I have no problem with you being different. I have a huge problem with you saying that the sorority rush system needs to change because of it, and with you saying you want to use a sorority as a tool to improve your social skills (although I'm hoping you don't mean it quite like that, that is how it came out).

As another poster stated, for better or worse, much of formal sorority rush is based on first impressions formed very quickly. That's just the way it is. If you don't do well in that sort of environment, you are going to have problems in sorority rush - and there are lots of people who don't have Asperger's who also aren't great at first impressions that go through the same thing.

Like many posters said, the GPA thing is something sororities just aren't allowed to budge on. Even if the most perfect person in the world goes through rush, if the minimum required is 2.9 and she only has a 2.4, she won't receive a bid. Those rules can't be changed for you just because you have a disability.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

If 2008 was the Greekchat "Year of the Heli-Mom", I nominate 2009 as the "Year of Joining a Sorority to Cure What Ails Me."

If your GPA was too low to be considered for membership, there's nothing the sororities can do about it. You won't get a bid even if you are the most perfectly social creature on the planet.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Last year I went through with the mindset that I wanted to go greek because the girls could help me with my wardrobe, I'd have instant friends, and my social skills would improve immensely. Was my recruitment successful? Definitely not.

This year I wanted to go greek because I was looking for my home. These girls were like my friends in high school. I could easily talk and relate to them. I also really enjoyed the philanthropy aspect of it as well. Was my recruitment successful? Very.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you have some personal issues to deal with before joining any sorority. You have a huge chip on your shoulder and quite frankly an entitlement-queen approach to sorority recruitment. You're using your Aspergers as a crutch.

ETA: Just to clarify, this is directed to bookworm84.

Last edited by kddani; 10-22-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you want to improve your social skills, try a Dale Carnegie course or something else where you can get more concrete instruction on what you're doing wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
At parties, practice walking up to friendly-looking students (male and female.) Smile, look that person in the eye and say, "Hi, I'm so-and-so, what's your name?" Then ask them conventional questions about their hometowns, major, interests, etc. to get the ball rolling. If you are at a party at someone's house, ask, "How do you know our host/hostess?"
I know I'm lane swerving here, but, oh well . . .

As the father of a kid with Asperger's, I can tell you that these kinds of suggestion are great for someone who is shy or simply socially uncomfortable or inept. For someone with Asperger's, not so much at all.

It's not just a matter of "concrete instruction what you're doing wrong," or "getting the ball rolling"; it's about learning a completely new way to communicate. The best description I have heard is that it's like being dropped into a foreign country where you don't speak the language, even though everyone assumes you do and talks around you as if you do. You have to learn what facial expressions and body language mean, what social cues mean, how to interpret non-literal language (sarcasm, irony, figures of speech) or voice inflections. And saying "look that person in the eye" is so much easier said than done. For some people with Asperger's that is incredibly uncomfortable and difficult; it's one of the most common traits of Asperger's.

bookworm84, I'm sorry your recuitment experience didn't turn out they way you hoped. For what it's worth, I didn't read your posts as expecting the system to change for you, as showing any kind of chip on your shoulder or entitlement-queen approach, or as using Asperger's as a crutch. I read your posts as trying to understand what happened and as experiencing recruitment as just the latest instance of trying to find a place you fit in and grow, only to be rejected because you're not what others consider "normal." I understand that even if that's not the actual reason things didn't work out, it probably has happened enough times before that it can be hard to see things any other way. (I can't tell you how many times I've had to try to help my son understand that others were not making fun of him but rather that he was misinterpreting what they were saying.)

As others have said, no one here can tell you why you were cut after the first day for two reasons: (1) No one here was there and (2) membership selection is private. But as others have also said, it very could well be grades. Even if you're planning to bring them up, sororities have a minimum, and they cannot pledge someone whose grades fall below that minimum. It's the rule.

Good luck. I hope you find places at college -- maybe including a sorority, if that works out later on -- where you feel comfortable and at home.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I know I'm lane swerving here, but, oh well . . .

As the father of a kid with Asperger's, I can tell you that these kinds of suggestion are great for someone who is shy or simply socially uncomfortable or inept. For someone with Asperger's, not so much at all.

It's not just a matter of "concrete instruction what you're doing wrong," or "getting the ball rolling"; it's about learning a completely new way to communicate. The best description I have heard is that it's like being dropped into a foreign country where you don't speak the language, even though everyone assumes you do and talks around you as if you do. You have to learn what facial expressions and body language mean, what social cues mean, how to interpret non-literal language (sarcasm, irony, figures of speech) or voice inflections. And saying "look that person in the eye" is so much easier said than done. For some people with Asperger's that is incredibly uncomfortable and difficult; it's one of the most common traits of Asperger's.

bookworm84, I'm sorry your recuitment experience didn't turn out they way you hoped. For what it's worth, I didn't read your posts as expecting the system to change for you, as showing any kind of chip on your shoulder or entitlement-queen approach, or as using Asperger's as a crutch. I read your posts as trying to understand what happened and as experiencing recruitment as just the latest instance of trying to find a place you fit in and grow, only to be rejected because you're not what others consider "normal." I understand that even if that's not the actual reason things didn't work out, it probably has happened enough times before that it can be hard to see things any other way. (I can't tell you how many times I've had to try to help my son understand that others were not making fun of him but rather that he was misinterpreting what they were saying.)

As others have said, no one here can tell you why you were cut after the first day for two reasons: (1) No one here was there and (2) membership selection is private. But as others have also said, it very could well be grades. Even if you're planning to bring them up, sororities have a minimum, and they cannot pledge someone whose grades fall below that minimum. It's the rule.

Good luck. I hope you find places at college -- maybe including a sorority, if that works out later on -- where you feel comfortable and at home.
MysticCat...Thanks for the lane swerve. I think you have some invaluable experience from the Asperger's point of view. Of course we don't know what happened, but we can infer that the issue was multifaceted.

Bookworm, formal recruitment can be difficult for people with a good understanding of social cues. It's that much more difficult when your grades are not up to par. I encourage you to work on your grades. If you really want to make greek life part of yours, meet some sisters. Get to know them one on one. There may be other ways to join a sorority on your campus that don't require you to make such quick impressions that would put you at a disadvantage. Unfortunately, sorority recruitment can be heartless when you aren't known except as the sorta strange girl. Because you have Asperger's, you may be at a disadvantage going in if you don't have a prior relationship to show them who you are underneath the first impression. Good luck getting your grades up and trying again if that's what you want to do.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 10-22-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 AM

MC, I was hoping you would lane swerve. I only suggested Dale Carnegie because I believe they have options for one on one instruction and thought maybe it could be tailored. My whole point was, no matter who you are or what disability you do or don't possess, joining a sorority to, in effect, use it as a means to your personal end is not cool. Like I said though, I hope she didn't mean that quite as coldly as it came out.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
MC, I was hoping you would lane swerve. I only suggested Dale Carnegie because I believe they have options for one on one instruction and thought maybe it could be tailored. My whole point was, no matter who you are or what disability you do or don't possess, joining a sorority to, in effect, use it as a means to your personal end is not cool. Like I said though, I hope she didn't mean that quite as coldly as it came out.
Thanks 33girl (and AOIIAngel) for not minding my butting into an NPC recruitment thread.

As I think about it, perhaps a Dale Carnegie-type thing might be useful for some people, if the instructor has real knowledge of Asperger's. That's key, I think, because it really isn't just a matter of social skills per se, it's a matter of experiencing the world in an entirely different way.

I see your point about the "coolness" aspect, as it were, but I think I can see where she was coming from, too. (And personally I doubt she meant it as bluntly as it came across to you.) To some extent or another, we all I think join groups like GLOs with two things in mind -- what we have to offer the group and what we hope to get out of the group. For some people, what they hope to get out of the group is simply fun or good times, but I'm betting lots of us have a more basic desire to belong somewhere. We tout GLO membership as a way to learn things like leadership skills, and there actually was a time in the not so distant past when GLOs were touted as places to learn social skills (manners and the like). I don't think it's surprising that some people would see GLOs as a place to learn to be more comfortable in social settings. Part of the total package, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Bookworm . . . If you really want to make greek life part of yours, meet some sisters. Get to know them one on one. There may be other ways to join a sorority on your campus that don't require you to make such quick impressions that would put you at a disadvantage.
If I were to offer advice to someone in her position, I think this is the advice I would offer. Again, speaking from personal experience, I know that the times my son is most successful is when has become good friends with one or two kids who then can provide some entré to (and security in) the larger group. To go back to my earlier comparison about being dropped down somewhere where you don't speak the language, it's like having a guide/interpreter to help you along until you're ready to take it on yourself.

Again, good luck bookworm!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
It sounds like you have some personal issues to deal with before joining any sorority. You have a huge chip on your shoulder and quite frankly an entitlement-queen approach to sorority recruitment. You're using your Aspergers as a crutch.

ETA: Just to clarify, this is directed to bookworm84.
They are not personal issues that I'm dealing with.I also don't feel any entitlement queen approach and I if I'm using my Asperger's as a "crutch",I'm sorry.I also need to apologize to anyone else on this board if I offended them in any way.What I said was probably mean spirited,rude and completely off base.I was angry about the whole process and saying the system needs to change,I was wrong about that as well.I thought back on what I said and it was angry and mean spirited.It is not my place to judge anyone who is in a sorority and taking out my anger about the whole process is mean,rude,misguided and completely not in my nature to do that.If my parents ever found out that I said those things,they would really chew me out.They both realize that I have been using my Asperger's as a crutch and they both said that needs to change.The whole entitlement queen thing is something that they have addressed to me as a person.They said I need to stop being treated as a "queen" and start taking more responsiblity around the house so I can be more self sufficient.Again,I deeply apologize for the way my posts came across.I completely misjudged a lot of people on here and it came out the wrong way completely.I want to make amends to anyone who I offended by my mean spirited posts.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Bookworm84,
I would like to share a little insight as a professional who has had the privilege of diagnosing/treating/working with people with Autism/Aspergers, and with their families (my respects to MysticCat also). Having the benefit of many, many years of training and experience, I'd like to offer the following:
- a hallmark of ASD is difficulty with perspective taking and theory of mind, as well as insight. this may explain or help understand the challenges faced by both people on the spectrum, as well as those who interact with them and do not understand how challenging life is when one does not have those innate social skills. The recruitment process may well have been quite challenging for you (as well as the sororities you visited).
- there are literally thousands of "social skills" - which is why I prefer to address "social thinking", the underlying ability to develop perspective and to interact effectively with non-ASD people. If I had to teach every social skill, I would have clients in therapy for their lifetimes.
- Look Me In The Eye contains a chapter which, IMO, is the best explanation of ASD persons' difficulty understanding verbal and non-verbal language that I've ever read. I did not write this book and have no financial interest in it (I won't benefit if you buy a copy, so I recommend you go to the library and check it out).
- communication is more than 90% non-verbal (I've read that it is actually 96% non-verbal, according to some published reports).

having said all that, the bottom line appears to be that grades were a major stumbling block in your recruitment experience. I know that grades are of the highest importance and that, more than anything else, may be the explanation you're seeking.

No judgment of anyone here, just an honest effort to be supportive and (I hope) somewhat helpful and educational.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
for their lifetimes.
- Look Me In The Eye contains a chapter which, IMO, is the best explanation of ASD persons' difficulty understanding verbal and non-verbal language that I've ever read. I did not write this book and have no financial interest in it (I won't benefit if you buy a copy, so I recommend you go to the library and check it out).
It's an awesome book. And thanks for your insights!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Everybody plans on bringing up their GPA. Not everybody does.

No one was "throwing mud", certainly not me. I should have been more specific. Every student, including those without the additional challenges you face, wants to bring up their GPA and not all are successful in doing so. Therefore sororities must base their decisions on what a PNM's GPA currently is, not what the PNM plans/hopes it will be because that may never happen. Everyone here was simply trying to offer the most common explanation of why any PNM gets cut heavily early in the process.

As for your having Aspergers, all I can offer is this. You said earlier that you did not have any Recs which could have offered some insight to the members, nor did you have friends within the Chapters that could have explained. I have to wonder if the Chapter members knew that you have Aspergers and if they did, did they understand what all that entails? It's certainly not something that could be easily explained in the very brief amount of time of a Recruitment party. I confess I know very little about Aspergers and I have been surrounded by children with a variety of special needs and challenges for 12 years due to my daughter. I pressume the collegians you encountered knew even less than me.

I will stop here and will leave the advice to others who are more educated in this matter.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

hiiiii how are you?????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
No one was "throwing mud", certainly not me. I should have been more specific. Every student, including those without the additional challenges you face, wants to bring up their GPA and not all are successful in doing so. Therefore sororities must base their decisions on what a PNM's GPA currently is, not what the PNM plans/hopes it will be because that may never happen. Everyone here was simply trying to offer the most common explanation of why any PNM gets cut heavily early in the process.

As for your having Aspergers, all I can offer is this. You said earlier that you did not have any Recs which could have offered some insight to the members, nor did you have friends within the Chapters that could have explained. I have to wonder if the Chapter members knew that you have Aspergers and if they did, did they understand what all that entails? It's certainly not something that could be easily explained in the very brief amount of time of a Recruitment party. I confess I know very little about Aspergers and I have been surrounded by children with a variety of special needs and challenges for 12 years due to my daughter. I pressume the collegians you encountered knew even less than me.

I will stop here and will leave the advice to others who are more educated in this matter.