GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,183
1 members and 2,182 guests
Titchou

Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Leaving NPC

Maybe I am in the right spot! i just joined and am trying to figure the forum out!!

Okay so about 2 years ago, my local sorority joined the national pan-hellenic council. we have 2 other sororities that are national at our school also involved. We have that campus thingy too. lol, sorry for bad terminology, i dont really understand it all. anyways, my main point is wanting to know if there is a way out???

I think its great and does a great job for national sororities, but not for our local one. we made a mistake and we dont want years and years of traditions down the drain because of it. we are local and have been for almost 150 years...and we like our way of doing things...so in no way am i saying anything bad about the NPC

but if anyone knows where i can read about it or anything, please let me know. I tried the website but didnt see anything but i could have missed it.

Thank you very much.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 PM

Question: Do you mean that your local sorority is part of the Panhellenic Council on your campus?

If so, I think this depends on your school. I think there are some schools who require local sororities to remain associate members of Panhellenic.

I'd contact your Greek Life Advisor or someone like that to ask.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

lol, sorry i made it sound so confusing! yes, we are in it at my school, and would like out.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Research your campus' Panhellenic Bylaws and/or talk to your Greek Advisor. Every campus is different.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Out of curiousity, what issues are you having with being part of Panhellenic Council?

Like, what about being on Panhellenic Council takes away your "traditions?"

I'm asking because we had a local sorority as part of our PHC in undergrad and nothing was ever mentioned about changing anything about them. They were just required to adhere to the NPC rules concerning recruitment.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-12-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Out of curiousity, what issues are you having with being part of Panhellenic Council?

Like, what about being on Panhellenic Council takes away your "traditions?"

I'm asking because we had a local sorority as part of our PHC in undergrad and nthing was ever mention about changing anything about them. They were just required to adhere to the NPC rules concerning recruitment.

I was wondering the same thing... I'm interested to hear what they are being forced to change.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, at my school, if a local left the IFC (IFC governs over all of our Greeks), they would not be able to participate in rush, have a pledge process, or a bunch of other (mainly recruitment related) things. They would just be a normal organization that happened to have Greek letters in their name.

But every campus is different so check your Panhel bylaws.

Last edited by pshsx1; 06-12-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you mean that your local is an associate member of your Campus Panhellenic or that your local was absorbed by one of the 26 NPC sororities?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I was wondering the same thing... I'm interested to hear what they are being forced to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'm asking because we had a local sorority as part of our PHC in undergrad and nothing was ever mentioned about changing anything about them. They were just required to adhere to the NPC rules concerning recruitment.
They might not want to participate in formal recruitment, or it might be that they're being forced to invite girls back that they do not want. There's people on here who said their Panhel made them do this.

Or they might have had to jack up their dues to pay the Panhel dues.

IrishLocal, why did you join Panhel after 150 years of being independent? Were you forced to? If they forced you on they're probably not going to let you off.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

If you're at a public school, you should be able to just quit panhellenic. Tell 'em you no longer consider yourselves members or to be bound by their rules and stop showing up... or just stop showing up.

Unless there's something forcing you to stay, you don't have to stay.

If you're at a private school, whole different ballgame. You may be stuck. Talk to whoever coordinates greek life.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
They might not want to participate in formal recruitment, or it might be that they're being forced to invite girls back that they do not want. There's people on here who said their Panhel made them do this.

Or they might have had to jack up their dues to pay the Panhel dues.
Those are great examples, however, it is hard for me to understand that Panhel dues or formal recruitment could infringe on "chapter traditions"

(Maybe the recruitment one I could see a teeeensy bit if they had a tradition of having recruitment events at, say, Dave & Busters instead of a chapter room with a bunch of chairs & tables... maybe they have only charged $x-amt in dues to their members since they started, but I don't know that I would characterize that as a 'tradition')

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
They also might have to comply with other hazing laws, alcohol rules, recruitment rules, pledge process rules, etc.
^^^ those (IMHO) seem to make more sense with "chapter traditions". Being affiliated with NPC does come with a lot of rules that many locals may not want to comply with.

I'd also be interested to hear what made the local want to join the local Panhel in the first place if they wanted to keep everything the same.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Well, if it is a "hazing" issue, I would think if they're that bound and determined to do whatever during pledgeship they'd get around it. That has nothing to do w/ being on Panhel.

The recruitment I meant more as they do not want just anyone showing up at their rush parties - they want to invite who will rush and if they are compelled to participate in formal, they can't do that.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, if it is a "hazing" issue, I would think if they're that bound and determined to do whatever during pledgeship they'd get around it. That has nothing to do w/ being on Panhel.

The recruitment I meant more as they do not want just anyone showing up at their rush parties - they want to invite who will rush and if they are compelled to participate in formal, they can't do that.
And I was thinking along the lines of they are use to having guys participate in the rush activities as well as booze and other things the NPC recruitment prohibits.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I hope to heaven that you're not an Ep Sig. If you are, know that even getting out of Panhellenic will not allow you to make your pledges drill in front of the admin building and in WalMart as well as wear stupid costumes to class.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I hope to heaven that you're not an Ep Sig. If you are, know that even getting out of Panhellenic will not allow you to make your pledges drill in front of the admin building and in WalMart as well as wear stupid costumes to class.
But given her user name and the almost 150-years-old part, I suspect that she is.