GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,446
3 members and 2,443 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

pledges dropping at the end

my chapter (which i'd rather not name, but we're a GLO with chapters at many schools around the country) is having a problem. pledging is almost over (though our pledges don't know that) and at least two of them are dead-set on dropping out. these kids have worked hard, and we would rather see them come together with their pledge brothers and enjoy and be proud of their pledging experience. anyone else ever have this problem? what's a good way to show them that they should stay without ruining the mystique of pledging (ie that they are getting initiated so soon)? anyone else ever have to convince a pledge to stay?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Get their big brother and your president to talk to them and tell them what a mistake that would be and all that they get out of the fraternity. And then have some sort of fun event (even just a pledge party, or a pregame for all the pledges before they go out) so that hopefully they remember they have fun with their pledge brothers.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zppsf1987 View Post
my chapter (which i'd rather not name, but we're a GLO with chapters at many schools around the country) is having a problem. pledging is almost over (though our pledges don't know that) and at least two of them are dead-set on dropping out. these kids have worked hard, and we would rather see them come together with their pledge brothers and enjoy and be proud of their pledging experience. anyone else ever have this problem? what's a good way to show them that they should stay without ruining the mystique of pledging (ie that they are getting initiated so soon)? anyone else ever have to convince a pledge to stay?
If they are set on dropping, do you really want to keep them around to become an inactive part of your chapter? I would only convince them to stay if you are certain that they will contribute in a positive way.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

why are your pledges intent on dropping out?

you need to convey that dropping is completely fine, but in doing so they're losing the opportunity to join a great family, the support of the brotherhood is something that can help them through college and in life. well thats what we use since we are a smaller, very tight-knit chapter and the family aspect is very evident in our brotherhood.

if they're not ready for that kind of commitment, tell em to kick rocks. they'll make shitty bros in the long run if they're not completely into it.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

its hard for us to figuring out why they want to drop. i think its more that they want pledging on "their terms", if that makes sense, and of course that defeats the purpose. thanks so much for your ideas, and if anyone else has some feel free to leave em here, ill be checking
Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
its hard for us to figuring out why they want to drop.
All the more reason to follow CrackerBarrel's advice and have their big brothers and the president talk to them. I echo the rest of his advice as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with the majority here - you need to ask yourself WHY you want to keep pledges who are intent on dropping. In fact, if they are that intent, why are you keeping them around this long? A problem pledge only becomes a problem brother or sister.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
...pledging is almost over (though our pledges don't know that)...
Maybe this is just where I'm from, but at my alma mater it was always known when initiation was. I believe that for sororities, we have to tell the pledges when initiation is - keeping it a secret is considered hazing.

Not that I'm accusing the OP's chapter or anyone who does it that way of hazing. I've just never heard of it being done that way anymore. Is this a local thing? Is an NPHC thing? Are there NICs who do it? Is it an NPC thing and I'm just ignorant?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKittyCat View Post

Is it an NPC thing and I'm just ignorant?
As far as my particular sorority, we are required to let the NMs know when initiation will be.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
As far as my particular sorority, we are required to let the NMs know when initiation will be.
As far as mine goes, we also are required to let them know as soon as they know or at their first meeting.

I also echo the sentiment that a problem pledge becomes a problem brother or sister. Occasionally, people will defy that, but the pledge period (as it's supposed to be) is a pretty darn good predictor of the kind of membership the NM will contribute.

Besides, if they're ONLY going to go through with the process after they hear "Wait, guys! You only have like two more days left", it's a poor reflection on their dedication.

Let 'em go and focus on the the rest of your pledge class.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Maybe this is just where I'm from, but at my alma mater it was always known when initiation was. I believe that for sororities, we have to tell the pledges when initiation is - keeping it a secret is considered hazing.

Not that I'm accusing the OP's chapter or anyone who does it that way of hazing. I've just never heard of it being done that way anymore. Is this a local thing? Is an NPHC thing? Are there NICs who do it? Is it an NPC thing and I'm just ignorant?
In my experience, it is not uncommon among fraternities, though I couldn't say how common it is either.

It was standard in my chapter that the schedule given to probationary members gave one date for initiation, but the brothers knew that initiation was actually a week or so earlier. There would be a different event noted on the calendar with instructions as to dress code. When the PMs got there, they learned that they were about to be initiated. Many of our chapters (non-NIC) still do this, and I've known of NIC chapters that do as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the guys that I know who are in fraternities, both NIC and local, did not know when their initiation was.

As for my sorority, we're also required to tell the new members when they're being initiated.

@~/~~~~
Old 12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Which is absolutely fucking ridiculous.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Which is absolutely ridiculous.
Maybe to your group, but not to KappaKitty's. All groups have their own rules. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to not let the pledges know when initiation will be held. We had several guides serving in the National Guard and many guys who worked. They needed to know when events were going to occur.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Maybe to your group, but not to KappaKitty's. All groups have their own rules. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to not let the pledges know when initiation will be held. We had several guides serving in the National Guard and many guys who worked. They needed to know when events were going to occur.
from what I understand after talking to friends of mine in fraternities was that the pledges did NOT know when initiation was, but they were told what days they had to meet, so that they could get work off & such. So it wasn't just blindsiding them, they knew what days pledge activities or whatnot would happen, just not what the activities were.

Last edited by epchick; 12-04-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: cause I typed "was just" instead of "wasn't just"...had to fix it