GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,548
1 members and 1,547 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Discrimination?

Hello lovely Thetas!

I'm currently a freshman at an urban east coast university. Before starting college I didn't think I would go Greek, but now that I'm here my views have changed. I am friends with a wonderful Theta girl and some other girls in different sororities. Because of them, I have gained a new appreciation for how being part of a sorority can be life changing. I've done a lot of research on the sororities at my university, and I really think I want to rush Theta in the fall. I love everything about Theta, but especially the affiliation with CASA. My only problem is that I'm a lesbian. I prefer to keep my sexual orientation private, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I'm curious if any of you have any positive (or negative) experience with either being LGBT or having LGBT sisters.

Thank you in advance for any help. I really would love to be a part of an organization as wonderful as Kappa Alpha Theta in the future.

Thank you again
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I PMed you.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
http://www.lambda10.org/

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Since your thread is titled, "discrimination," I will respond that Kappa Alpha Theta does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.

Recruitment is a mutual selection process. Our criteria for membership is based upon the core values of our organization, which have been the same since 1870.

Best of luck to you in finding a sorority that will offer you the same lifelong benefits that myself and countless others have found through Theta. Sounds like you've already gotten to know about our organization, and I'm pleased it has been a favorable impression. All of the NPC groups have something wonderful to offer, so keep an open mind. That is the best way to ensure an positive recruitment experience.

Please keep us posted on your recruitment experiences. If, through the process, you and our chapter on your campus make a match, we would be thrilled to hear that news.

Fraternally,
Amy Kates
Kappa Alpha Theta
Fraternity Vice President College
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Further discussion on this issue that does not pertain to Kappa Alpha Theta needs to be taken to the forum started by AlphaFrog in the Greek Life forum.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to all that responded! It means a lot to me

I'll be sure to keep you all posted!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Being a Gay Greek?

Hi, Coconuts.

I can tell you that, as a collegian, I had several (male) friends in the Greek system who were gay. I don't know of any lesbians at my campus, but that could be because they just weren't open or I didn't know them...not that they weren't there.

One of the things I've learned is that every campus has a different culture and even more vastly different sub-cultures. What you like about the Theta women at your campus may not be the experience you have at another campus, and the same is true with other organizations.

Hopefully you have a broad choice of Greek organizations to choose from. What Amy said about the mutual selection process is true: You and Theta would need to be a match. Certainly, though, there's no reason to think that you need to hide who you are to be a Theta...or to be in any other organization. In fact, I hope you question any organization that doesn't accept you for who you are.

Your sexuality is merely one component of you as an overall person, and should be considered no more or less than what type of books you like to read and how committed you are to the organization's mission.

Good luck with recruitment.