GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,091
1 members and 1,090 guests
No Members online
View Poll Results: Are your organization's risk management policies too oppressive?
Yes. 124 48.25%
No. 114 44.36%
Not sure. 19 7.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Do you think your organization's risk management policies go overboard?

Are your organization's risk management policies overboard or overbroad?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

No stringing for Bigs because the pledges having to go up & down & through the house unwinding yarn could be hazing. Please.
(Although we can thank the DU whose Big strung out the window and through the basketball hoop for that campus policy.)
Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter was very sensible about it.. we've done unwinding yarn and such. The only real annoyance was the fun scavenger hunts we did (where everyone participated) they became "everyone goes and takes pictures of different things and we all meet at Ted Drewes" events instead.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ADPi considers requiring anything of the new members outside of the approved new member education plans/all-chapter requirements to be hazing. So unless the entire chapter is invited to participate or it is an all-Greek Panhellenic sponsored event like New Member 101, it could be seen as hazing according to our view.

Last edited by adpiucf; 10-27-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you really be too careful about risk management and rules? If an incident happens that does violate a policy, its bad enough. But at least disciplinary action can be taken to save the reputation of other members and chapters. THe reality is having rules in place to protect members' and the overall organization's safety and reputation does not interfere with the ability to have a good time. Bonds between members can still be just as strong.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Overboard, big time

How about no pictures that even insinuate drinking on Facebook. No styrofoam cups, no Solo cups, anything. Regardless of whether or not you're in letters or over 21.

Also, we are no longer allowed to share function costs with other sororities or fraternities... i.e. no mixers. Even a "date party" with XYZ is pushing it apparently.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis View Post
Also, we are no longer allowed to share function costs with other sororities or fraternities... i.e. no mixers. Even a "date party" with XYZ is pushing it apparently.
I know that you can't buy alcohol, but are you saying you can't even buy non-alc bevvies or food or help pay for the rent of wherever you're holding it?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought they were a little strict my first year, but after being on exec I was grateful for anything that helped cover our butts legally.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

No.

It is my organization's responsibility to keep over 900 chapters and over 200K members in check. They are doing what they need to do to account for every contingency that they can account for beforehand.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know that you can't buy alcohol, but are you saying you can't even buy non-alc bevvies or food or help pay for the rent of wherever you're holding it?
Yes, we cannot buy alcohol, but that has been around forever. However, when we host a function, we must pay 100% of the cost. So say we have a "date party/mixer" with XYZ, we foot 100% of the bill for the location, food, etc.

I do want to say that I do not believe our Nationals is the problem. They are simply doing everything possible to cover us and themselves from a lawsuit. It is the insurance provider and our society that have made policies too strict.

Not that insurance even matters. If one girl is found to have consumed alcohol while underage, we would lose our insurance coverage.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Yes, we cannot buy alcohol, but that has been around forever. However, when we host a function, we must pay 100% of the cost. So say we have a "date party/mixer" with XYZ, we foot 100% of the bill for the location, food, etc.
A date party I understand (in my vernacular a date party is where sisters invite dates from several fraternities or perhaps not from a fraternity at all and therefore you are the sole hostesses), but I don't understand the rationale of making you pay all the costs for a co-sponsored mixer. It seems as though it would put you at more risk, rather than less.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

We have to change our vocabulary to "date party" when we have what is really a "mixer." Mixer implies that the cost is shared. I do not understand the logic either. Also, what was formerly called a "date party/cocktail," where sisters invite dates, must now be referred to as a "hangout."
Old 11-16-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
We have to change our vocabulary to "date party" when we have what is really a "mixer." Mixer implies that the cost is shared. I do not understand the logic either. Also, what was formerly called a "date party/cocktail," where sisters invite dates, must now be referred to as a "hangout."
A hangout? That sounds as though you are all going to wear skimpy tops and go without bras, LOL. And of course mixer implies the cost is shared...that's the point...

No offense to SSS, but that's some of the dumbest RM stuff I've ever heard in my life. Keep making the sisters pay for everything, and eventually there won't be money to have any more social events of any kind. Oh, wait...ding ding ding...we have a winner.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever the intention, that is how a lot of girls have taken it.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it goes way overboard.