GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 311,651
Threads: 115,250
Posts: 2,164,942
Welcome to our newest member, imalohowefeig
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM
stormi stormi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Red face Helloooooo

Hi Fellow Greeks and Spectators
My name is Stormi and I am a sister of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local organization recently banned from Pace University Pleasantville. I have pasted an email I have sent to NPC and IFC in regads to situation ALS is in at Pace. If anyone has any knowledge and could help us, we would greatly appreciate it. I have changed by name in the attached email for the sake of anonymity.

Thank you all,
xoxo Storm

--------------------------------------------------------------
Unjust Treatment Towards Local Sororities at Pace University

To:
npccentral@npcwomen.org;
exec@ngla.org;
blaine.ayers@nicfraternity.org;
pitches@hercampus.com;


​To Whom It May Concern:
The nature of this email is to explain unjust treatment towards sororities and Greek Life as a whole on Pace Univeristy's Pleasantville Campus, but more specifically towards local organizations. We are asking for help from women to women, sisterhood to sisterhood, to help us gain justice on our campus so each organization may be treated equally now and for years to come. This is not just a story about a local sorority, there is a bigger picture. We want to continue to prosper as a Greek organization and prevent the fall of Greek Life at Pace. This email is being sent to executive members of the National Panhellenic Council, North East Greek Leadership Conference, North American Interfratenity Conference, and Her Campus. Please forward this email to the proper person who may assist us. Thank you.

My name is BLANK, I am a junior at Pace University (Pleasantville Campus), I am also an active member of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local sorority. Alpha Lambda Sigma (ALS) was founded in 1993, we started off as a Little Sister organization to our brothers, Alpha Chi Epsilon. ALS has since been on Pace University's Pleasantville Campus for 25 years upholding our values of Loyalty, Trust, and Honor respectively represented by our colors: purple, white, and teal. Our philanthropies are: Multiple Sclerosis, Pediatric AIDS, and Kevin's Christmas (a private philanthropy dedicated to an ALS Alumni's little brother who died).

I am an executive board member of Pace's University Panhellenic Council, comprised of both local and national sororities in which we uphold the constitution of the National Panhellenic Council. As members of NPC I believe it is unfair for local sororities to be treated differently than national sororities when we uphold and respect the same constitution of NPC and UPC.

As of April 2019, false allegations have been brought forth against ALS with a lack of evidence to prove us guilty, yet we were suspended from campus. In 2018, another local sorority, Nu Zeta Phi was suspended from our campus. We believe their situation was different than ALS' but nontheless we believe they were treated unfairly in the same manner that ALS is being treated by Pace's Center for Student Development and Campus Activities (SDCA). Our santions are: Chapter Suspension for 4 calendar years. Pace has a policy that says, any local sorority suspended from campus for any length of time can not be reinstated unless they come back with new Greek letters or as a National sorority. This policy affects only local sororities and not national sororities, thus being unfair. Although we can not change the University's policies, we can speak out against the unjustice.

We have reasons to believe the Senior Associate Director of Pace's SDCA is on a mission to completely get rid of Greek Life on Pace's Pleasantville Campus because he disliked the fraternity in which he pledged. This man has even said to our President of Alpha Lambda Sigma that he "would not lose sleep if we were kicked off campus". After talking to the President of UPC, a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, she agrees the rules and policies Pace has set forth against Greek Life is extremely unfair. For example, there is a rule that states the President of UPC can only be a sister of a national sorority. Pace's Pleasantville Campus only has two national sororities: Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, therefore being unjust towards the two locals on our campus: Alpha Lambda Sigma and Sigma Iota Chi.

At the moment, ALS is trying to appeal our suspension, but if our appeal gets denied we will no longer exist. If we cannot be reinstated, we will do whatever it takes to come back to campus, that being said, I would like to know how can a local sorority like ALS, come back as a national organization? If becoming a national is our only hope, we will go through whatever it takes to allow our sisterhood to live on.
Is there anyone we can speak to who can either help us in this unfair treatment or is there anyone who can advise us and lead us in the right direction to become a national sorority?
We do not want anymore unfair treatment on our campus and if there is nothing we can do to help ALS, we want to make an impact so no other sorority or fraternity experiences their sisterhood or brotherhood torn apart because of biased, unfair treatment from a superior at our University.

We are asking for help and support.

Thank you,
Sisterhood Chair & Social Chair | Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority
Secretary | University Panhellenic Council
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2019, 05:45 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,549
Many schools have gotten rid of locals because of the liability they incur due to not having a national HQ behind them. The university where I taught did and the professors were glad because those groups were hazing the crap out of their members. All of them became nationals.
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,941
Neither NPC nor NIC will do anything to help you - in fact, they’ll probably put the hose in your mouth while you’re drowning (case in point: post above).

Reaching out to become national at this time and under these circumstances could possibly result in a bait and switch, that is, a national group would accept the invitation to colonize in order to come onto the campus, then not choose any of the members of your group to be part of the national. Most colonizations nowadays are “from the ground up” unless the local going national is very strong and the majority of the members are in favor of the change. You would be doing this under duress - the only reason you’d be doing it would be to keep your local group alive and as I stated above, you have zero guarantee that a group would be chosen that you would like, or that would like you.

Have you reached out to your alumnae? They are the most important resource you have. Is Greek life popular on campus? Is the rest of the campus upset about your and the other local sorority being suspended? If the other groups truly are upset about your treatment, they need to do more than say “it’s so sad.”
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2019, 11:38 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormi View Post
Hi Fellow Greeks and Spectators
My name is Stormi and I am a sister of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local organization recently banned from Pace University Pleasantville. I have pasted an email I have sent to NPC and IFC in regads to situation ALS is in at Pace. If anyone has any knowledge and could help us, we would greatly appreciate it.
Hi Stormi,

It sounds as if your organization has found itself at a crossroads. I can understand why the situation would be unsettling for you. I noted a few of the things you mentioned in your statement that I would like to look at more closely.


Quote:
I am an executive board member of Pace's University Panhellenic Council, comprised of both local and national sororities in which we uphold the constitution of the National Panhellenic Council. As members of NPC I believe it is unfair for local sororities to be treated differently than national sororities when we uphold and respect the same constitution of NPC and UPC.
It may just be semantics; but, I do need to clarify something. At the risk of sounding impolite, Alpha Lambda Sigma is not an NPC organization. You are a local organization with "associate" or "guest" status on the NPC-sponsored University Panhellenic Council. This does not give you full benefits and protections of the NPC and, yes, you are treated differently. As an exec board member of UPC, you know this already. ALS does have voice and a vote, but cannot hold the office of President, recruitment chairperson, or vote on extension. If ALS wanted the benefits of a national organization, you would have to relinquish your local status and be national. ALS can't have it's cake and eat it too.


Quote:
As of April 2019, false allegations have been brought forth against ALS with a lack of evidence to prove us guilty, yet we were suspended from campus. In 2018, another local sorority, Nu Zeta Phi was suspended from our campus. We believe their situation was different than ALS' but nontheless we believe they were treated unfairly in the same manner that ALS is being treated by Pace's Center for Student Development and Campus Activities (SDCA).
To be fair, you've only presented one side of the story. What, specifically, was ALS accused of doing?


Quote:
Our santions are: Chapter Suspension for 4 calendar years. Pace has a policy that says, any local sorority suspended from campus for any length of time can not be reinstated unless they come back with new Greek letters or as a National sorority. This policy affects only local sororities and not national sororities, thus being unfair. Although we can not change the University's policies, we can speak out against the unjustice.
I can completely understand the chapter feeling upset; but, this policy is not unfair. Reading between the lines, it seems that the university would like all of it's GLOs to be nationally affiliated. Some colleges, like the one where carnation taught, simply mandated that all locals convert to nationals or be disbanded. However, Pace appears to have grandfathered-in the local GLOs under the stipulation that, if you mess up, you can only come back as a national. Reading the Pace University Fraternity & Sorority Life webpage, the Relationship Statement clearly spells that out in section 1Ad. Further, there is a separate Reinstatement Procedures document which is even more specific about the expectations to return only as a nationally-affiliated chapter. That document is from 2013; so, ALS can't say that they weren't aware of the potential for this to happen.

See here: https://www.pace.edu/student-develop...life-resources


Quote:
We have reasons to believe the Senior Associate Director of Pace's SDCA is on a mission to completely get rid of Greek Life on Pace's Pleasantville Campus because he disliked the fraternity in which he pledged. This man has even said to our President of Alpha Lambda Sigma that he "would not lose sleep if we were kicked off campus".
Making an unfounded personal statement against a university administrator isn't a wise idea.


Quote:
After talking to the President of UPC, a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, she agrees the rules and policies Pace has set forth against Greek Life is extremely unfair. For example, there is a rule that states the President of UPC can only be a sister of a national sorority. Pace's Pleasantville Campus only has two national sororities: Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, therefore being unjust towards the two locals on our campus: Alpha Lambda Sigma and Sigma Iota Chi.
No, no, no and no. Once again, ALS is NOT an NPC sorority. You are a guest member of the campus council only. This rule about the President can only be from an NPC chapter comes from the NPC national body. The university did not come up with that rule. Also, the young ladies from DPhiE and PSS have no say in that because, again, the NPC governing body said that rule is mandatory for all UPCs at every campus.

Read the NPC Manual of Information (pgs 68-69): https://tinyurl.com/yydleknt


Quote:
At the moment, ALS is trying to appeal our suspension, but if our appeal gets denied we will no longer exist. If we cannot be reinstated, we will do whatever it takes to come back to campus, that being said, I would like to know how can a local sorority like ALS, come back as a national organization? If becoming a national is our only hope, we will go through whatever it takes to allow our sisterhood to live on.
Is there anyone we can speak to who can either help us in this unfair treatment or is there anyone who can advise us and lead us in the right direction to become a national sorority?
As 33girl pointed out, it's not as easy as having a national sorority come and take over. There is no guarantee that any of your members will be absorbed into the new sorority. If you choose to go the NPC route, there is a rather complicated process that one must go through. You can read about it here: https://www.npcwomen.org/login/colle...ics/extension/ If Pace University is ok with other national, but non-NPC, sororities that may be another option. I don't have a list of those handy for you - you can maybe Google around a bit for other GLOs. In any case, you have to be honest with yourself here - will a national GLO want to come in and absorb a local GLO that has just been suspended for four years?

So now we come back around to this - what happened? You're saying that Pace University literally made up a completely false accusation due to an administrator not liking his fraternity. Then they handed down a 4-year suspension and you all swear that you did absolutely nothing wrong? That sounds odd to me. I suppose it's possible, but maybe not probable.

I wish I had better news for you.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

True and Constant
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2019, 06:22 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

No, no, no and no. Once again, ALS is NOT an NPC sorority. You are a guest member of the campus council only. This rule about the President can only be from an NPC chapter comes from the NPC national body. The university did not come up with that rule. Also, the young ladies from DPhiE and PSS have no say in that because, again, the NPC governing body said that rule is mandatory for all UPCs at every campus.

Read the NPC Manual of Information (pgs 68-69): https://tinyurl.com/yydleknt

(
You’re missing a point. She didn’t say “chapter of NPC.” She said “UPC” as in University Panhellenic Council, an operating body on her campus only. While they should have a chapter of NPC since there are two NPC groups, that isn’t necessarily the body she’s talking about. When systems are composed of both nationals and locals (especially when the locals are older than the nationals) the locals aren’t shut out of Panhellenic decisions. That would defeat the whole purpose. You can’t say locals can be on Panhellenic council, have to follow the same rush rules and social rules, then deny them a chance to hold office.

If this administrator wanted to get rid of locals so bad, it would have been better to go to them, possibly ask them to combine and help them through the extension process. Instead everyone is pissed off. I’ve seen this back door sort of thing a zillion times with administrators thinking they are going to “build” the Greek system and it pretty much never works.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,692
But she does say "as members of NPC , I believe....." .It's in the 2nd quote of Navane's.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
But she does say "as members of NPC , I believe....." .It's in the 2nd quote of Navane's.
That’s a very common mistake (like people calling NIC IFC and vice versus). Let’s find out.

Okay, I’ve looked all over the NPC website and cannot find a list of chartered College Panhellenic chapters. If there is one, please point me in the right direction.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 5,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormi View Post
Hi Fellow Greeks and Spectators
My name is Stormi and I am a sister of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local organization recently banned from Pace University Pleasantville. I have pasted an email I have sent to NPC and IFC in regads to situation ALS is in at Pace. If anyone has any knowledge and could help us, we would greatly appreciate it. I have changed by name in the attached email for the sake of anonymity.

Thank you all,
xoxo Storm

--------------------------------------------------------------
Unjust Treatment Towards Local Sororities at Pace University

To:
npccentral@npcwomen.org;
exec@ngla.org;
blaine.ayers@nicfraternity.org;
pitches@hercampus.com;


​To Whom It May Concern:
The nature of this email is to explain unjust treatment towards sororities and Greek Life as a whole on Pace Univeristy's Pleasantville Campus, but more specifically towards local organizations. We are asking for help from women to women, sisterhood to sisterhood, to help us gain justice on our campus so each organization may be treated equally now and for years to come. This is not just a story about a local sorority, there is a bigger picture. We want to continue to prosper as a Greek organization and prevent the fall of Greek Life at Pace. This email is being sent to executive members of the National Panhellenic Council, North East Greek Leadership Conference, North American Interfratenity Conference, and Her Campus. Please forward this email to the proper person who may assist us. Thank you.

My name is BLANK, I am a junior at Pace University (Pleasantville Campus), I am also an active member of Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority, a local sorority. Alpha Lambda Sigma (ALS) was founded in 1993, we started off as a Little Sister organization to our brothers, Alpha Chi Epsilon. ALS has since been on Pace University's Pleasantville Campus for 25 years upholding our values of Loyalty, Trust, and Honor respectively represented by our colors: purple, white, and teal. Our philanthropies are: Multiple Sclerosis, Pediatric AIDS, and Kevin's Christmas (a private philanthropy dedicated to an ALS Alumni's little brother who died).

I am an executive board member of Pace's University Panhellenic Council, comprised of both local and national sororities in which we uphold the constitution of the National Panhellenic Council. As members of NPC I believe it is unfair for local sororities to be treated differently than national sororities when we uphold and respect the same constitution of NPC and UPC.

As of April 2019, false allegations have been brought forth against ALS with a lack of evidence to prove us guilty, yet we were suspended from campus. In 2018, another local sorority, Nu Zeta Phi was suspended from our campus. We believe their situation was different than ALS' but nontheless we believe they were treated unfairly in the same manner that ALS is being treated by Pace's Center for Student Development and Campus Activities (SDCA). Our santions are: Chapter Suspension for 4 calendar years. Pace has a policy that says, any local sorority suspended from campus for any length of time can not be reinstated unless they come back with new Greek letters or as a National sorority. This policy affects only local sororities and not national sororities, thus being unfair. Although we can not change the University's policies, we can speak out against the unjustice.

We have reasons to believe the Senior Associate Director of Pace's SDCA is on a mission to completely get rid of Greek Life on Pace's Pleasantville Campus because he disliked the fraternity in which he pledged. This man has even said to our President of Alpha Lambda Sigma that he "would not lose sleep if we were kicked off campus". After talking to the President of UPC, a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, she agrees the rules and policies Pace has set forth against Greek Life is extremely unfair. For example, there is a rule that states the President of UPC can only be a sister of a national sorority. Pace's Pleasantville Campus only has two national sororities: Delta Phi Epsilon and Phi Sigma Sigma, therefore being unjust towards the two locals on our campus: Alpha Lambda Sigma and Sigma Iota Chi.

At the moment, ALS is trying to appeal our suspension, but if our appeal gets denied we will no longer exist. If we cannot be reinstated, we will do whatever it takes to come back to campus, that being said, I would like to know how can a local sorority like ALS, come back as a national organization? If becoming a national is our only hope, we will go through whatever it takes to allow our sisterhood to live on.
Is there anyone we can speak to who can either help us in this unfair treatment or is there anyone who can advise us and lead us in the right direction to become a national sorority?
We do not want anymore unfair treatment on our campus and if there is nothing we can do to help ALS, we want to make an impact so no other sorority or fraternity experiences their sisterhood or brotherhood torn apart because of biased, unfair treatment from a superior at our University.

We are asking for help and support.

Thank you,
Sisterhood Chair & Social Chair | Alpha Lambda Sigma Sorority
Secretary | University Panhellenic Council
QFP
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Neither NPC nor NIC will do anything to help you - in fact, they’ll probably put the hose in your mouth while you’re drowning (case in point: post above).
Did that b&itchy comment accomplish anything?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well Helloooooo emthefabuDDD Introductions 0 08-10-2010 07:52 PM
Helloooooo? RaHel Iota Phi Theta 12 08-02-2001 02:17 PM
Helloooooo Monique Greek Life 5 07-06-2000 01:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.