GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 04-13-2005, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

AIs - do you wear letters?

AIs, how often do you wear your letters? What items do you own with your letters on them? What are others' reactions when they notice them?

I'm really excited to finally be home, but I hope when I do wear my letters out and about, people won't look at me funny and say, "Why is that old chick wearing Tri Delta letters? That's just silly!"

Also, I don't think Tri Delta has any sort of policy regarding wearing letters prior to initiation, but I am going to wait to wear anything with letters until after initiation, until I'm an "official" member and actually know what the letters mean!

What are your thoughts and experiences with this, as...ahem...somewhat older members?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I am the exception, but I rarely wear actual letter shirts--the exception tends to be at Conventions and fun events for which I usually wear the event t-shirt. More often, I wear jewelry!! I have a ton of pins (of course!), two necklaces, and two bracelets....as well as a collection of pearl and amethyst jewelry.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that alumnae in general tend not to wear "letters" (thinking of the jersey t-shirts with block letters), but tend to show their affiliation in other ways- as mentioned, jewelery, event- shirts, maybe a hat or bag.

I haven't worn my block letters since I graduated. I gave most of mine away, except for our "house letters" (everyone had the same set), kept those for sentimental reasons.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't wear letters in the form of a t-shirt or sweatshirt. I do own two tees with Alpha Gamma Delta spelled out, as well as some jewellery (a ring, a necklace and my badge, of course)
Old 04-13-2005, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I wear t-shirts with block letters when I work out or am making a quick trip to the grocery. Mostly as far as clothing goes, I wear event shirts like convention or State Day. I do have drop letters with a rose that I wear everyday. I also have earrings and bracelets.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Banned

When I pledged Zeta (a thousand years ago) we were told we could wear letters before initiation, but not the crown nor the coat of arms.

I still have my old Zeta t-shirts and stationary from waaay back then. (I still have my old pledge book too!)

As far as new items, I received some wonderful goodies from my new big sister (who adopted me from another state!).

I just bought a crown italian charm to add to my bracelet, and saw a gorgeous gold Zeta ring I'd like to buy. I have worn my ZTA letter lavelier I received when I pledged-- to work and have the Zeta creed on my desk in my office. No need to hide it-- I'm proud to be a Zeta. "Zeta is forever"-- no matter what your age!

Last edited by blueangel; 04-13-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JupiterTC
Tri Delta's policy is once your receive a bid from them then you can start wearing letters. Tri Delta considers it hazing if new members are not allowed to wear letters. I would double check with the local alumnae chapter, because I am unfamilar with how Tri Delta does AI.

And btw, welcome to the sisterhood!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Most groups also have shirts that specifically say "Alumna" on them too. I wear letter t-shirts on weekends and stuff. That's how I find other Alpha Gams in that big world out there!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17
Maybe I am the exception, but I rarely wear actual letter shirts--the exception tends to be at Conventions and fun events for which I usually wear the event t-shirt. More often, I wear jewelry!! I have a ton of pins (of course!), two necklaces, and two bracelets....as well as a collection of pearl and amethyst jewelry.
That would be me too. I have a lot of shirts with Gamma Phi Beta spelled out that I wear and I have jewelry and a couple of shirts with small letters on left chest but that's it.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I have a sweatshirt that I wear to and from the gym, but other than that I limit it to tasteful jewelry pieces. I've said it before - I'm too durned old to be walking around dressed like a college student.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Shirts just for working out and running quick errands. I have a hoodie and sweatshirt for cold days.

Mostly I wear jewelery (lavalier or bracelet) or lanyard, which has my swipe card, override card and discount card. Since putting them on a lanyard, I haven't lost them (costly to replace)
Old 04-16-2005, 05:09 AM

I sport my letters in subtle ways...lavaliere, key chain, licence plate on my car, sticker on my car. I do have a tshirt that spells out my sorority's name in full, but the stitching is quite small and subtle.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I wear letters all the time...either jewelry to work (and my badge many days) or party or letter shirts on the rare times that I am casual at home.
Silver
Old 04-16-2005, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I don't know y'all. I suppose I'd be considered an "AI" (though I know TNX does things a little differently). While wearing my line jacket, I've been approached by quite a few older men - LOTS of Alpha Phi Alphas...where are they coming from? - wearing full out letters. They usually want to know what organization I'm part of.

I've also seen an AKA and more than a few DSTs, all older women, out with husbands and/or kids at the mall and sporting letters. For the most part, the letters seem to be on sweatshirts.

And, recently, I saw an older woman wearing the letters of a local sorority around here - the name escapes me at the moment - but she was definitely past her collegiate years.

I LOVE to see older people with letters on like WHAT?????? They're always so proud!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
For me it's not an issue of not wearing letters or not being proud -- I love being an Alpha Phi. I just prefer to wear our letters in a way that suits my personal style. As a rule, I rarely if ever wear t-shirts, sweatshirts, or any "sportswear" type clothing. If I do wear them, they're plain and unadorned. *shrug*

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Last edited by Sistermadly; 04-16-2005 at 10:16 PM.