GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,769
0 members and 2,769 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2002, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LilAGDSweetie
Angry Sorority Life

Hi Girls.....my name is Jessica. I just posted my little introduction in the roll call thread so go and read it!!

But the real reason why I'm writing this is because I watched the new show Sorority Life on MTV tonight and wanted to know if anyone else watched it and what they thought.

I'm really not sure if this is going to be a good thing for the Greek Community at all. So far I've seen girls say that the only reason for joining a sorority is for the parties and seen processes in recruitment or dare I even say the word "rush" like they did 5 million times, that I shouldn't be a part of even it it was several months ago that it was filmed.

I went to The Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi Site and read the letter that they "wrote" to the rest of the Greek Community on their campus and I can kinda understand where they're coming from, but then again most of the stuff that goes on MTV gets turned into something bad. I guess my question is how should the Greek Community, as a whole, deal with this? Any ideas?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2002, 02:49 AM
Unregistered-

I've been keeping up with the Sorority Life thread (all 8 pages of it!) in the Greek Life forum, and for the most part I've been quiet because I really wanted to see this show before I jumped to any conclusions. I honestly think it was unfair how the Sigma girls (and they do frequent GreekChat!) were judged even before the show started.

I don't know how the next episodes are going to be like, but I think it's safe to say that I am impressed with the first episode. The resounding comment in the Greek Life forum was "This wasn't the train wreck I expected it to be.." and I totally agree with it. The commercials were edited that way in order to generate public interest...and so far it's worked!

We must all remember that MTV must have taken some kind of dramatic license here and there, so in a sense this can't be all that bad. Many of us on GC have a lot of questions for the Sigma girls, so hopefully they'll be answered as the season progresses.

I was a former pledge of a local sorority, and honestly I hafta admit that these girls got it good so far.

I think it's still too early to make any judgements on whether or not this will hurt the Greek community, so let's just keep our sets tuned and see where it goes from here!
Old 06-25-2002, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
"This wasn't the train wreck I expected it to be..."
You're right Sandy, but like I said in the Greek Life forum, "I hope it doesn't 'de-rail' too badly along the way."

I thought the games at the "rush" parties were a little bit inappropriate/potentially uncomfortable and I didn't like the side bar discussions about the PNMs during the parties, but for being their first "major" recruitment, I think they handled themselves well. I know last year Alpha Beta had their first formal recruitment after recolonizing and they I remember that they were pretty stressed out too. It's natural.

Did anyone catch why Candace's roommate changed her mind about pledging? I heard her say something about religious reasons but I missed the rest I guess.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to have to agree; I was very impressed with the way the sisters presented themselves. I do feel bad for them though, because so far they seem to have the new members (I shuddered at the constant use of the word "pledge") from hell. The ones that MTV is focusing on (with the exception of Mara and Jessica) have absolutely no respect for the sisterhood and no clue about the concept of representing an organization.

I believe that Candace's roommate (I think her name was Becca?) did not accept her bid because she was uncomfortable about joining a predominantly Jewish organization and because she was having some personal problems. I'm sure there were other reasons that MTV conveniently edited out.

I missed the first few minutes of the show...did MTV end up putting up a disclaimer about SAEPi not being affiliated with NPC or give any kind of introduction explaining the difference between local and national sororities?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Donielle, thanks for the explanation; but no, there was not a disclaimer about SAEPi being a local organization.

I think you're right about Mara and Jessica. I also don't see Dede as being a problem child "pledge" unless she gets strung along by ring leaders Jordan and Candace.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kristen AO1188
Hey guys... I watched most of the episode of this new show last night... i was slightly disheartened by how the Sigma girls would be willing to let themselves be portrayed as so judging during the rush parties... They were miked when they were saying things about what they thought about individual girls, and i thought that was tactless on their part. Whether they liked a girl or not, I am sure there could have been some private place where they could be to talk about these sorts of things, especially when they said they didnt like girls based on how they looked, whether they thought they were trying to hard, or even how they stopped talking to some girls right after they said they werent Jewish. Granted, i do not know how the greek system works where they attend school, but it did not seem like those sorts of catty comments were inappropriate and looked poorly on the Greek Community as a whole. We all know that there is a process to narrow down the number of individuals considered, but the show made it look like it was all based on looks and one quick impression of a girl, and that was it. I personally did not care for the show, but i may watch it again.

ESL&LiEP,
Kristen
Old 07-02-2002, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Did anyone else get heartburn watching the second episode last night? Jordan is going to be a big standards problem, she's so disrespectful. I also felt badly for Jessica--what a way to welcome your sister into the house.

I was dubious of the first episode, annoyed at the second...and I have a feeling my reactions are going to go downhill from here.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Maria, I totally agree! I really hope they don't keep this problem child. Notice that the show isn't about the sisters, it's about problematic pledges.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LilAGDSweetie
I completely agree with both of you. I've gotten to the point that I just don't want to deal with the headache that it gives me anymore. I just really hope that it doesn't make numbers lower during next recruitment. I know that our campus is making extra effort to get rid of any negative impression that a PNM might get from this show. I just hope that it's enough to get those girls that were thinking about going through and might not anymore to still do it. Being in a sorority and especially AGD is such a wonderful experience and I would hate for people to miss out becuase of some stupid show.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:41 PM
Unregistered-

I got that same feeling too last night. Stick the pledges in a house and watch the drama unfold from there.

*AND I'M GOING TO SAY PLEDGE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE WHEN I FIRST BECAME AN ALPHA GAM I WAS A PLEDGE AND NOT A 'NEW MEMBER*

I know when I was pledging, I never could have (AND NEVER WOULD HAVE!) said half the things Jordan said about the active sisters. And what a way to welcome Jessica into the house! My pledge sisters mean the world to me and I know I could never treat any of them that way!

Sorority life isn't supposed to present sisterhood anymore. It's suddenly turning into a UC-Davis Real World.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
It's suddenly turning into a UC-Davis Real World.
Sandy, that's what they should have called it.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

We should have been so lucky.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Jordan and a few others are only pledging because of MTV...end of story IMHO.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:37 AM
UMgirl

This is just my opinion based on what I have seen so far.
Jordan- I have mixed emotions about Jordan. A majority of me believes that she really doesnt have much interest in the sorority and that she is definately in some way doing this just for the fact of being on MTV. HOWEVER, there is a small but good part of my that feels like she is being wronged. From the moment she stepped in the door there have been sisters who have acted very negatively towards here and 2 specifically who seem out to get her without even really bothering to get to know her first. No matter what her motives are I feel in a way the she wasnt given a fair chance from the get go. As far as the shirt issue at the fraternity party, IMHO Pauli's shirt was wayy more skin showing and revealing then hers was and so was the girl who had the tube on. To me some of the sisters want her gone to the point where they are starting to pick at petty things. On the first episode when Becca was saying that many of the girls in the house would be imtimidated by Jordan and Candace's looks, I was like, "Wow that statement isnt the nicest of things to be said," but now I have to admitt that she had a good point, just by the little stuff that is going on.

The Rock thing- I don't consider that to be hazing at all IMHO. To me that's just another sisterhood event, even if its mandatory. To me even though it maybe kind of a leap, its like saying Initiation is hazing b/c in most sororities that's mandatory. But we all have different definitions of hazing and as someone is the GL forum stated..SAEPi isnt an NPC and therfore doesnt have the guidelines we do. I think my sisters and I would have had fun with the rock thing, or at least if we didnt think it would be, we would have tried to make it fun. I think of it as one of SAEPi's rituals (which it is, but one thats public). Its like painting The Rock at Michigan.

Exclusiveness- Many people have said they think Leslie (the VP) needs to chill with her not being "exclusive" talk b/c we are exclusive. I think she has a valid point and I like her. Yes, SAEPi is a predominately Jewish sorority, but they do except non Jewish members, its just that they're background is Jewish. To me the fcat that they do except others makes them non-exclusive, But I agree with Leslie that what some of the sisters are doing (or tried to do, even though they were trying to look for girls who were serious about them) was exclusive. To me Greeks are not exclusive b/c I look at it this way...Recruitment/Rush is open to EVERYONE. Some schools might have requirements like GPA or being a certain year when you can rush, but these are not things that a person will never be able to attain. And just because you didnt get into XYZ or any chapter at all doesnt mean that if you went back the next year or two years later, you still wouldnt get in. Recruitment/Rush, and chapters change year after year. There is always a chance for anyone to really get in, even if it may take 3 times going thru. What chapter looks for in a person one year is going to be different the next. And we need to remember that it depends on the people you talked to also. Just because my sister is looking for certain qualities in a girl doesnt mean I or any one else is looking for the same things. She may not think you'll fit, but maybe I and others do. To me when an org./club or whatever trying to be exclusive, they are seeking qualities in some inwhich those they do not want, will never be have.

Pledges- Its diffinately a actives vs. pledge deal and I also agree that the 5 definately have separated themselves (with the help of MTV and probably a naive SAEPi not realizing it would do this) from their pledge class and its a shame. I feel sorry for Becca (pledgemaster, and why dont they call her pledgemistress like most do?)b/c she seems like she really wants to class to be close and is trying to do the best she can.
But these 5 annoy me b/c as many have said, they are showing disrespect for SAEPi, by talking about the sisters and how stupid the rules are to others, but to me just by there sarcasm of they things they have to do. This is one thing that I agree with Pauli on... If you don't like it, get the F#@$ out. There is no need for sarcasm. I understand that many lived on thri owns without rules for 3 years, but so did I. But when I joined AGD I knew there were rules, and even though I might not have agreed with all of them, I understood they were there for a reason. And I definately didnt go out of my way to get around them or just out and out disobey them. Grow Up. Life cant always be the way you want it.

Dede- Dede who, is all I have to say. Why have here there if we dont get to see and learn more about her.

Finally....

The 6th Roomate- Talk about not getting a welcome. One of the girls acting looked like she was staring Jessica down when she moved in and was soo unhappy. I feel sorry for her, b/c it didnt look as if she was that thrilled to be going in, but when they told her the girls would be so happy, her hopes got up. But from the preview of the next episode, it looks like Jessica could be involved in some drama herself . And the fat that the girls thought they were being spyed on by her made me laugh. I mean, if you know you're doing nothing wrong and pretty much living up to SAEPi's standards (we all slip sometimes), why should you be freaking out and paranoid, unless you are doing something wrong

There are some actives who rub me the wrong way and there are definately some pledges who do. Let the drama continue. IMO, we need more girls like Becca, Leslie, Jessica, to an extent Mara (she seems to be turning into a Candace/Jordan clone), and to an extent Pauli (you always need someone to be blunt and jsut tell it like it is) to join orgs. b/c they each show a part of what being a sister really is.
This is what happens, when 6 strangers, pledge a sorority, and live in a house for a quater.... Real World-UC Davis:The Sorority Edition.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
I dont have MTV, could someone tape it and send it to me? Dont want to be illegal or anything but I'll pay for the tapes and shipping