GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe
» Online Users: 1,237
1 members and 1,236 guests
navane
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
I discovered two more groups named the same of now defunct fraternities. Kappa Phi Lambda, an Asian interest sorority with chapters located mostly in the east is the same name of a fraternity founded at Washington & Jefferson College in 1862. It expanded to 11 chapters within a few years but abruptly in the early 1870s various chapters left to become chapters of Delta Tau Delta, Psi Upsilon, Sigma Chi and Beta Theta Pi, and it was extinct by 1874. Another is Phi Delta Kappa, a professional educators organization. It is the same name of another group ironically founded at W. & J. in 1874. It expanded to five chapters, but after the other four closed for various reasons the Alpha chapter revived the then defunct Alpha chapter of Phi Gamma Delta in 1881 and it was out of business.
Out of curiosity, do you what chapter/s or Psi Upsilon this is, because I never heard of KPL outside of the Asian Interest Sorority.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The Kappa Phi Lambda chapter at University of Michigan. It was founded in 1865 and merged with the existing Psi U chapter in 1870. The Mt. Union group went to Delt, Northwestern to Sig Chi and Denison to Beta. Westminster went to local status and years later to Sigma Nu.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I found an interesting Facebook group regarding Alpha Psi fraternity at Sonoma State and Alpha Psi sorority at UC Santa Cruz. I know the sorority has been around a while longer and the two are not related.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...6605484&ref=mf
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

zeta phi beta- one's a historically black sorority (colors are royal blue & white). one's a latin fraternity (colors are green & gold)

I N T E L L I G E N T
M E N
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

there are two different fraternities out there

Kappa Alpha Order-Mostly Southern and Western US
Kappa Alpha Society-Northern US and Canada
Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XODUS1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
zeta phi beta- one's a historically black sorority (colors are royal blue & white). one's a latin fraternity (colors are green & gold)

Frater --
I smell a lawsuit..lol
Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonsInquiries View Post
I think you mean Omega Phi Beta. they're the green and gold ones with the sunflowers.

there is a national sorority called Sigma Lambda Gamma and a Canadian sorority with the same name. the American one was founded in 1990 and the Canadian one in 2004. check out the history section on the Canadian website. rofl

http://www.sigmalambdagamma.com
http://www.sigma-lambda-gamma.ca
Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquin View Post

there is a national sorority called Sigma Lambda Gamma and a Canadian sorority with the same name. the American one was founded in 1990 and the Canadian one in 2004. check out the history section on the Canadian website. rofl

OMG, you can't be serious! lmao
Old 03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you mean Omega Phi Beta. they're the green and gold ones with the sunflowers.

WTF! They totally aired their dirty laundry, said they don't value academics (basically) AND knowingly copied the name of another group. How bizarre!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Omega Delta Phi

Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc. - National Latino fraternity founded in 1987 at Texas Tech University, TX. - Active
Omega Delta Phi, Inc. - Local Fraternity founded in 1933 at Cooper Union, NY. Defunct in 1972.
Omega Delta Phi Sorority - Local Sorority founded in 1960 at Potsdam State, NY. Still active.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Last edited by Little Dragon; 04-04-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Formating
Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

NIC, NPC and NPHC

Quote:

I wonder what do NIC, NPC and NPHC do with their Canadian chapters. Are they exempt from academic criteria?

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 04-04-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
I wonder what do NIC, NPC and NPHC do with their Canadian chapters. Are they exempt from academic criteria?
Honestly I think it was just a BS excuse because some of them didn't have a 3.0. If that was really true, there wouldn't be any honor societies in Canada.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
Absolutely not. They just aren't recognized by the schools. No GLO would establish a chapter in which they had zero control over membership selection.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Lambda Sigma

Sigma Lambda Sigma Local Fraternity State University of New York - Albany

Sigma Lambda Sigma Local Sorority Northern Illinois University; Western Illinois University

Sigma Lambda Sigma (Defunct) Local Sorority (Latina) Johnson and Wales University (1993)

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Not in the same ballpark as the rest of the same names, but there is a local (socal) Kappa Zeta Phi that goes by "Kappa". There is also a Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter there so the two sometimes get confused.