GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,544
1 members and 1,543 guests
oncegreek

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Ted Stevens, Longtime Senator, in Plane Crash

(CBS/ AP) There were conflicting reports on whether Ted Stevens, the longest-serving Republican senator in U.S. history who lost his seat after a corruption conviction that was later dismissed, was killed Tuesday in a small plane crash in Alaska.

A family friend said Stevens, 86, was among five people killed in the crash in southwest Alaska. The same friend said later the death had not been confirmed.

In 1978, Stevens survived a Learjet crash in Anchorage that killed five people, including his first wife.

Over the years, Stevens became a political legend in Alaska. Affectionately nicknamed "Uncle Ted," he was named "Alaskan of the Century" in 2000 by the state legislature and the airport in Anchorage bears his name. Thanks to Stevens' long tenure and clout on Capitol Hill, Alaska earned substantial influence in national politics well beyond its small population.

However, Stevens is also known for his fiery temper, the career-ending corruption trial and championing the infamous "Bridge to Nowhere," a $400 million pork transportation project designed to link two remote islands.

link

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

This almost sounds like one of those celebrity death rumors :-/
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/10/ala...pt=T1&iref=BN1

...now CNN has confirmed it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
@ some of those comments!

Some people can be so nasty and mean spirited.

Quote:
Sooo - Stevens is dead. I wonder if in his last seconds he reflected on the rotten life he had led, driven by lust for power and material gain, a life of lies and cheating and all the people he destroyed on the way up. And realized he had wasted his life and was now going to burn in hell for eternity.

I hope so.

Not that I believe in hell but as a Conservative Senator he probably did.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'll wait 'til his remains are recovered and buried before making any negative remarks. May he rest in peace.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post

I agree. This man (regardless of his politics) has a family and friends like everyone else. I think those kinds of comments are out of line.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post

It's the times. The Internet gives a voice to those that don't deserve to be heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard this on KLove, and the first thought that came into my mind is "I think vandalsquirrel is still in Alaska, hope she is ok and not on that plane."

RIP to all those who died and my condolences to their families.

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
I heard this on KLove, and the first thought that came into my mind is "I think vandalsquirrel is still in Alaska, hope she is ok and not on that plane."

Same EP. I'm almost positive she is still in Alaska.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Random personal connection:

When my husband was in medical school (in St. Louis) he did a month long rotation at that hospital in Dillingham. It's teeny-tiny. There are only 16 beds and 3 ER beds. They don't do any surgery there, instead they focus on OB and medical issues (heart attack, pneumonia, etc), and fly anyone who needs anything more critical to Anchorage.

Thoughts and prayers to those affected by the crash including those first responders and medical personal that cared for the survivors.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Same EP. I'm almost positive she is still in Alaska.
Thanks for thinking of me, I made it back to Idaho.

I was only in Fairbanks for a couple of days but there were signs all over town that said "we love and miss you ted" and a lot of people were and are very upset by this. I was on the other side of the state, and I really could see Canada from my tent. I first heard of the crash and his death, and another subsequent crash, when I got off the boat in town headed to the air strip. Nothing like hearing about plane crashes when you're boarding a four seater plane on Friday the 13th.

Our pilot has GPS, but only operates with visible flight rules, and for me that's an extra safety measure. Normally we would take the float plane and land on the river, but it had a mechanical problem and we had to go upriver to an air strip and wait for the fog to lift in Fairbanks so he could leave. I've decided for my peace of mind I'm taking basic flight lessons so if I am in an emergency situation I can handle a plane and get more specific details via radio. There's little chance of anything happening, but heart attacks and aneurysms come out of nowhere and I'd prefer to be prepared.

RIP Uncle Ted http://tubesdance.ytmnd.com/ The internet is a series of tubes...how I will always remember him.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
It's the times. The Internet gives a voice to those that don't deserve to be heard.
Soooooo true. The internet breeds lots of cowards who hide behind computer screens.