GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
1 members and 1,371 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

1 in 5 Americans STILL don't use the internet

link

According to a Pew study, 21% of Americans claim that they don't use the internet (and 5% still connect using dial-up). How is this possible? I think I've even seen homeless people peruse the internet on their iPhones.

Well, 34% of those non-users actually live in a house with internet access. Other than that, 48% think the web holds information irrelevant to their lives, 60% said they were uncomfortable with computers in general, and 90% just plain don't care to be online. And, not shockingly, over two thirds (69%) of those who don't use the internet are over the age of 65, while others may live in rural areas, have a low income, or lack a high school education.

66% of Americans currently access the internet through a broadband connection, though, and that number continues to climb. [Pew Internet via TechCrunch]
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
I'd prefer to have never seen many of the things on the Internet. Does that count?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

My dad is in that group lol
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I'm surprised at the broadband rate.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animate View Post
My dad is in that group lol
My dad too unless you count fantasy football. That's only a short time per year, literally the only time he does it, and idk if it counts if one of us has to stand behind him to help him navigate. And he's not in the "over 65" category, he's only 53!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

that is what I would really want to know from the study is what is the age group and sex of the people that aren't using the 'net and also their socioeconomic status.

Speaking of....

http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/...band-2010.aspx
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 08-12-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

and i work with these people every day.
some people LITERALLY have no clue what "the internet" or "online" is... and this isn't just the elderly (or recenly released ex-offenders).

fun times!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
and also their socioeconomic status.
We went over this in the Comm class I took last semester. I will post if I can find it in the notes/still have them
Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Taking accessibility or affordability out of the equation, these are people who still use the phone book, paper maps, and read the daily newspaper when it's tossed on the driveway.

I think the difference is that these people don't see the internet as especially useful or more convenient. In 1997, I found my car, my apartment, and my job online. My car - I did all the research, located who had the color and options I wanted. My job - I found an out-of-state job online. Went to the interview, then did negotiations over the phone and email. Had the offer letter faxed to me. My apartment - searched for places close to our jobs/the city, by size, price and even floor plans.

I haven't used a phone book since probably around the same time. I get all of my news online (though I'd rather read it than watch videos). If I'm looking for a new restaurant to try, or looking for a plumber, I'll bypass places that don't have websites. Sure, I can call to get the information, but a lot of places don't have receptionists to field calls, but rather have an answering machine (maybe voicemail) to leave a message and they'll get back to you. Most of the time, they never call you back, even when you're calling to get a service like lawn care or plumbing. These companies lose business before they even had it.

My mother refuses to "learn the internet". We've all spent hours trying to show her how to access/read/send an email, how to search online, that shopping online with reputable companies with secure websites is safe, etc. She just out and out refuses, yet complains that no one ever shows her pictures (which I store on a photo sharing site as well and also send to her via email) or tells her what's going on in their lives (she thinks that joining Facebook lets the whole world know what she's doing).

And yes, she has a computer (that we gave her) and she has free broadband access. She just doesn't think that there is any benefit from being online.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Taking accessibility or affordability out of the equation, these are people who still use the phone book, paper maps, and read the daily newspaper when it's tossed on the driveway.
I still do all those things too (except the daily paper but that's because neither daily in town is middle of the road enough to suit me). I also hate shopping online unless I've scoured every store in a 3 county radius for whatever I want.

At this point, to me, computers are for fun and recreation. I don't see the point of keeping it on all the time and wasting electricity to do everything on it.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

That's funny, but not surprising.

65 seems like kind of a low cut-off, though, since 65 is considered a baby boomer and they've been pretty active and many are still working.

The only person I know who isn't online is my 85 year-old grandmother--even my college sweetheart's 85 year-old grandmother has been online for about 10 years! (She and I are Facebook friends).
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

* DIGITAL DIVIDES
- Are there gaps in who has access to digital techonology & who doesn’t? And do those gaps correlate with other social variables? And is this inherently part of digital media?
- PEW Research Foundation - tracking trends of different technology access (specifically broadband access)

* Overall increase in all US adults who have broadband at home

* Gender does not account (right now) for a big digital divide
- Male Centric early internet
- Richer people have more technology than poorer
- We don’t know if this is changing/a trend

* There is a gap between caucasians & African Americans
- Not as big of a gap as income
- Hard to say where the trend is going (unclear)

- Both have increased, but not equally

* EDUCATION: < HS or > or = BA degree
- Both increasing access
- Higher educated group is increasing faster
* BIGGER GAP
- Optimistic view: Eventually divides will be solved
Argument against it: There is a ceiling (full saturation of a technology)
- Once they hit 100% you can’t go higher, other groups have time to catch up
- All groups seem to be increasing access, but some increasing slower

*** Basically digital divide is b/w who has access to a technology & who doesn't
Old 08-12-2010, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

ummmm in my family its my aunt, but she calls me to look up stuff...I think she is not online is because she doesn't have a computer, same with my uncle.

My grandmother....is 84 yo, and she will not get online...EVER, the women doesn't even have cable....she just plain refuses...god love her.

But other than that, everyone in my circle, family, ext. family and friends...everyone is online in some way, shape or form.

And in this circle we span the socio-economics from the top to the bottom...

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

My 82 year old Mom LOVES her computer. She particularly loves to use it to send me really awful jokes and commentary.

In my business it is absolutely annoying beyond belief that some of the people I have to interact with refuse to use a computer. Would these same people refuse to have driven a car had it been a new invention when they reached a certain age? Do they refuse to use central air conditioning because they "grew up" without it?

I dunno. I'll ask them the next time we meet for drinks at the Club Luddite.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 AM
GreekChat Member

People don't use the internet until you've given them good reason to.

My mom was firmly in that no-internet group until I started showing her around some Chinese news websites. Let's just say, she's very active on some political forums right now and checks email like crazy...