GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,184
1 members and 1,183 guests
3DGator

Old 10-10-2000, 11:39 PM

Question If you could change one thing....

To all Greeks -

If you could change one thing about the way you select your members, what would it be?

As a member of an NPC sorority, I would make our rush process longer - lasting for 2 weeks in the evenings, rather than crammed into 4 days. I think it would give members and rushees more time for reflection and decision making.

Old 10-11-2000, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I would make formal rush later in the year... at my school, formal rush is held the week before school starts. Girls come in and all want to get into a house with the big names and preconcieved notions.. i think everyone would benifit if girls had a chance to see what each house was like on campus... plus, girls would be able to see if they could handle sorority life plus school work
Old 10-11-2000, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Ditto to both, but I still gotta vote for the no first semester freshman rush. I know out of my pledge class, maybe 12 were, and our combined GPA at the end of the semester was a whopping 1.4! Needless to say after the next semester's study hours....our grades were way better! I mean think about it from this standpoint. A girl arrives at college one day, and rush starts the next week (or for some the very next day). How does she base her decisions on 4 parties? If its hard for us to do as sisters, its gotta be hard for her. She has never been away from home (most likely) and she has never been exposed to the level of work required in college. I think she would benefit from being on campus for a semester and would be able to make a more informed decision.

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 10-12-2000, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I personally would do the following:
1) Make rush longer: 4 or 5 days is not enough time to effectively judge future sisters. I think the ones who stick with it for two weeks or so really want it. That way we could have about 10 meetings at 1 hour each, then a 2 hour pref party...

2) This appeals just to less formal chapters in the North, but I definitely would have loved being in a chapter where we used alumnae references.

3) No freshman first sememster. They join groups based on who they partied with during orientation week and rumors they hear on campus.

4) More training for rho chis and more control over potentials at specific times. They need to recognize "recruit tampering". We had an experience where a group of potentials went to lunch and one girl whose sister just HAPPENED to know 1 girl in my sorority on another campus, sat there and dogged us out. Her words totally influenced a who group of potentials. We brought this up to NPC and they didn't do anything. Why? No witnesses, except word of mouth. So if the Rho Chis had been present at lunch, this may not have happened. Also, the rho chis let this girl continue the conversation between recruitment parties!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!

5) Finally, I would have more pre-recruitment training in NPC rules for individual campus chapters....THEY NEED IT!