GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 314,070
Threads: 115,484
Welcome to our newest member, Tdrayton88
» Online Users: 378
8 members and 370 guests
3DGator, Cookiez17, ivyrose2, Kevin, LaneSig, Stuffy1

Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

HELP!: THINKING OF GOING THROUGH RECRUITMENT FOR A SECOND TIME AS A SOPHOMORE

recruitment

Last edited by greekchic17; 08-01-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: want to delete this post. people are abusing it and saying nasty things and are being harrassive.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

We have no way to know what will happen or what your chances are since we don't know your campus and we aren't in the chapters at your school. That being said, do they have a separate upperclass quota? If so, that might be your only hope....though that's no guarantee either. Recs will go a long way towards helping. Get them sent in now so the cahpters willbe on the lookout for you this fall.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchic17 View Post
I know there are threads out there about sophomore recruitment, but I haven't yet been able to find any with my unique circumstance.

So here it is: I went through recruitment at my school as a freshmen in the spring, since my school has deferred recruitment. This past year, there was a record number of girls going through recruitment, almost all of the freshmen girls went through recruitment at my school, plus I think about 50ish sophomores. There are 9 sororities at my school.

As a freshmen, my grades were okay. They could've been a little better, compared to my past performances in school, but they were solid compared to others. I think at the time of recruitment my GPA was around a 3.1 or 3.2. I wasn't really that involved my freshman year that much because it took me a long while to get adjusted to college life.

After the first round of recruitment, I was only invited back to 4 houses. Two of which were my top two so it didn't bother me that much that half cut me. After philanthropy round, which was next, I was invited back to all 4 for sisterhood round and was thrilled. However, for pref round, I was invited back to my bottom 2 and was heartbroken.

I had a gut instinct that I fit in with the girls at my top 2 houses and was told by several people that they saw me in those houses. I had zero connection whatsoever during the week with my bottom 2. I knew I didn't belong in either one of them. My pi chi convinced me to go through pref round, and I did, but since I was so hurt and had no connection whatsoever with either of those 2 houses, I dropped out of recruitment.

I've been thinking of going through recruitment again as a sophomore. This fall, I've applied and been accepted to work and be involved with 2 very prestigious student organizations. On top of that, I've been working hard and have a game plan to get my GPA up so that it'll be noticeably better than it was during recruitment. Also, I'm working on getting recommendations this time, because I didn't think of getting them the first time around.

With those new circumstances, do you think in a way I might stand a better chance going through recruitment, since I'll know what to expect, know how to act, be more confident, and involved on campus, even though I'll be a sophomore?
translation: I think I am much prettier/ smarter/ thinner/ have more money/ much more fun/ etc. than the "BOTTOM" chapters. I am delusional and think that I belong in a BETTER house than those BOTTOM-Feeder chapters because I.AM.AWESOME! To top it off, I am a special snowflake with a super unique story. No one has ever come on this website with my circumstances. How could they? Didn't you hear me? I.AM.AWESOME! Do you (GCers) think that by joining the "prestigious" organizations on campus and bringing up my GPA, I have a better chance of not getting asked back to the chapter full of (I think someone mentioned it on here as) kitchen staff? I think so! Yay me!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

There is no upper class quota at your school. Not being a freshman is a big negative, particularly for a re-rusher. You are listing a lot of "ifs" in your plan to go through recruitment again. Whether you truly improve on your situation or not, you have nothing to lose by going through recruitment again as long as you are sure you can deal with the same level of rejection and most likely even more rejection than you faced Freshman year.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Cap lock is not your friend.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
why is your username "greekchick" when you are not greek, and even seem to think yourself above several greek organizations on your campus?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I had a gut instinct that I fit in with the girls at my top 2 houses
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what your gut instinct tells you if the Chapter's gut instinct tells them you wouldn't fit in.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what your gut instinct tells you if the Chapter's gut instinct tells them you wouldn't fit in.
Usually when a PNM like this has a gut feeling, it's only gas. A lot of gas.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Usually when a PNM like this has a gut feeling, it's only gas. A lot of gas.
Yep! It appears to be a lot of hot air!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by greekchic17; 08-01-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: being harassed
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I will tell you what I tell each and every poster who comes here to ask "what are my chances?"

We. Don't. Know.

Titchou already told you that and I'm merely reiterating the same information. Further, we do not participate in membership selection at your campus. So, how can we possibly predict your chances (not that we would even if we did participate, because membership selection is considered Ritual by many/most/all NPC chapters, and is private information)?

We don't know, we don't know, we don't know... You might want to reflect long and hard on Jen's advice, above. And if you do decide to go through recruitment again, I wish you the very best.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For starters, that's the first username that popped into my head when I was trying to register really fast since I didn't want to give any personal information away. Also, it's not that I thought that the 2 other chapters were bottom chapters, it's just that in my personal preference they were the bottom 2. Also, when you're feeling really upset during pref, you don't always make the right decision about dropping out or not. Looking back now, I do regret dropping out of pref, and would gladly join one of those organizations if I had a chance. I have friends who have beautiful hearts and personalities in ALL of the chapters. Also, I didn't meant to use the all caps, I was just trying to hurry and wanted to catch someone's attention. You should all know, that I'm really torn about my decision, and I wanted advice and a place to turn to that handled questions like these, so I would please appreciate it if you didn't tear me down. It was really hard to begin thinking about this and to muster the courage.
I hope you realize there are Elon people on here. Do you expect them to feel sorry for you?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
For starters, that's the first username that popped into my head when I was trying to register really fast since I didn't want to give any personal information away. Also, it's not that I thought that the 2 other chapters were bottom chapters, it's just that in my personal preference they were the bottom 2. Also, when you're feeling really upset during pref, you don't always make the right decision about dropping out or not. Looking back now, I do regret dropping out of pref, and would gladly join one of those organizations if I had a chance. I have friends who have beautiful hearts and personalities in ALL of the chapters. Also, I didn't meant to use the all caps, I was just trying to hurry and wanted to catch someone's attention. You should all know, that I'm really torn about my decision, and I wanted advice and a place to turn to that handled questions like these, so I would please appreciate it if you didn't tear me down. It was really hard to begin thinking about this and to muster the courage.
*ahem* backpedal *ahem*
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Elon person here...And I know what you are saying between the lines without saying it and I'm not going to be harsh on you because I know the campus and what goes on during the fall. The sororities at Elon are phenomenal marketing machines.

This was also the first year that included KD in formal recruitment. Adding a ninth sorority was an adjustment for everyone. And the poster is correct - record number of PNMs this year!

First off, you don't need to make your decision right now. It hasn't been posted as to whether or not their will be fall informal recruitment. And if there is, most likely the two you were invited back to pref will be participating, maybe one or two more but the number of bids will be limited at each chapter. When/if its publicized, then think about it some more.

While I can't tell you what your chances are, here is some advice that holds true for anyone going through recruitment at Elon:
-Get involved in organizations (which it looks like you are doing)
-Make friends/ maintain friendships with Greek Women in all sororities (not just the ones you think you fit in best with or are considered "top tier")
-Get your GPA up. The all greek women's average GPA from last fall is a 3.36. 6 of the 9 sororities have GPAs above the average. For a sophomore, you may want to have a GPA closer to 3.5 if possible.
- Don't ever be "that girl" and don't associate with "that girl". People have an entire semester to talk.
- Go into recruitment polished, confident and with an open mind.

Every year sophomores get bids to every house. Not every sophomore, but many of them. If you can make yourself stand out for all the right reasons and have true friendships with many of the women in sororities already it can only help you.

PM me if you have any other questions. I know that there is one other Elon GCer that posts regularly.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

“Wow, we’ve never seen a situation like yours before,” said no Greek Chat member ever.